Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Failure After J02 Recall - Discussion Threads (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133306)

mswbrz 02-22-2019 07:50 PM

Failure After J02 Recall - Discussion Threads

I see only frs / Toyota cars as having issues after recall :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkSideFRS 02-22-2019 11:27 PM

Should list dealerships that did the work as well so that everyone will steer clear of them

D_Thissen 02-22-2019 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT86 (Post 3188679)
Vehicle Mileage: 80000km
Vehicle Make: Scion
Mileage After Recall Performed: <120km
Symptom(s): Brief high pitched sound on cold starts
Failure: Knocking and power loss, engine shut off on the road
State:ON
Dealership Offering Repair: under investigation

Which dealership did the work?

DarkPira7e 02-24-2019 09:13 PM

While I do enjoy the feedback we're sharing, let's try to keep posts sparse to make identifying failures when referencing this thread easier :)

Hypnocracy 02-26-2019 08:09 AM

They told me to bring it in so they can check the error code (don’t trust the one at AutoZone) if it is related to the safety recall work...repair is under warranty...if not it is on my dime...

In the customer lounge now...

Update: Oil Control Valve is working correctly now...recommended changing Oil running for five minutes...change oil for second time...checking for debris...wondering if this is sealant related?

BlackOptics 02-26-2019 07:25 PM

Vehicle Mileage: 64,959
Vehicle Make: Scion FR-S 2013
Mileage After Recall Performed:64960 (dealership misread mileage and tried to say 64596 so this may not be accurate.)
Symptom(s): Engine knocking CEL and Trac lights on after less than two days of driving and less than 100 miles. Happened while in traffic.
Failure: No catastrophic, but hard for engine to turn over, and dealer saying to replace the entire engine. Scaring on camshafts, cam tower, and damaged rod bearings.
State: Vancouver, Washington, USA
Dealership Offering Repair: McCords Vancouver Toyota.

I would also like to add that they refused to check the source of the cause after only checking to see if they installed the valve springs correctly, and blamed it on the oil filter and/or engine abuse.

Edit: As of now I've told Toyota to shove it as they want to charge 8k to drop a used engine from LKQ into my car, and bought directly from LKQ for the same engine they tried selling me, but for 1k less than Toyota's asking price, and took it to a trusted mechanic with 35 years experience. I would tell anyone in my area to stay clear of that dealership, and to not get the recall done on yours. From what I've seen it is more of a risk to your car than leaving them in.

Opie 02-26-2019 08:41 PM

If anyone has this type of failure (ie; knocking, bearing failure) after the recall insist that the dealer who did the repair pull the oil pan and inspect the oil pickup in your presence. Also have them use a boroscope to look inside the pickup. These types of failures occur when they let old sealant & debris fall into the engine during the recall. It plugs the oil pickup and oil starves the engine. It's a dealership workmanship issue.

BlackOptics 02-26-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-t_240 (Post 3189984)
Did you call Toyota Corporation? Seems like something they should pic up the bill for. If you havent already started work, I'd hold off until speaking to them. Or ask your dealership to speak directly to their regional rep.

Yeah, and Corporate is backing them, refusing to pay for anything.

NoHaveMSG 02-26-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOptics (Post 3190006)
Yeah, and Corporate is backing them, refusing to pay for anything.

It may be worthless but it is something. I would say they failed. This thread makes me not want to do the recall.

If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner,
please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.

Ichima 02-27-2019 02:52 PM

94k miles

Driven 300 miles since the recall. At idle when warm slow and loud knocks. When driving fast loud ticks. Dealer is stating it could be the direct injectors. Bringing it in next thursday because they told me they can’t squeeze my car in for repair or to be looked at. Hopefully nothing happens from now until then because it’s my only car to get to work and back everyday.

ka-t_240 02-27-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichima (Post 3190300)
94k miles

Driven 300 miles since the recall. At idle when warm slow and loud knocks. When driving fast loud ticks. Dealer is stating it could be the direct injectors. Bringing it in next thursday because they told me they can’t squeeze my car in for repair or to be looked at. Hopefully nothing happens from now until then because it’s my only car to get to work and back everyday.

Any chance you can update post to follow the template in original post, then update you post with any new info as you hear from dealer?

Please post a video if you can in, if its making a knocking noise, you're best to not drive it.

x808drifter 02-27-2019 04:37 PM

Anyone getting shit fro a dealership or from corporate should be pointed toward this thread and the other compilation one.

There is IMO more than enough proof that something dealing with the recall procedure is making engines spin bearings.

steve99 02-27-2019 05:36 PM

One possible explainarion for the spun bearings would be small bits of engine case sealant may be getting into engine as they are pullng it apart, or cleaming off the sealant from reused components. Its also possible that excess sealant is being applied to components during re assembly or the sealant is applied incorrectly or in incorrect areas. This sealand then gets into oil supply galeries and blocks or partialy blocks oil supply to bearings or other components resulting in engine failures.

Decep 02-27-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 3190368)
One possible explainarion for the spun bearings would be small bits of engine case sealant may be getting into engine as they are pullng it apart, or cleaming off the sealant from reused components. Its also possible that excess sealant is being applied to components during re assembly or the sealant is applied incorrectly or in incorrect areas. This sealand then gets into oil supply galeries and blocks or partialy blocks oil supply to bearings or other components resulting in engine failures.

Definitely sounds plausible. Is this how most boxer engines are assembled, with friggin sealant instead of a traditional gasket? What benefit is there to sealant over gasket?