Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   LED Conversion (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3133)

[M] 01-05-2012 01:43 PM

LED Conversion

Anyone been thinking about what lighting will come to the BRZ? I noticed here

[u2b]eP3SR1m_aRY[/U2b]

At 2:47 I noticed that the license plate lights were yellow, which got me thinking...are the dome,map,glovebox,trunk etc. lights going to be yellow( is it halogen?)

If so, I plan on doing a full LED conversion to either a 'cool' white or bright white. Does anyone else have a preference on this or is it just me!? :iono:

Levi 01-05-2012 02:42 PM

Yes, I always make a full LED cnversion in "cool white". The LED pack without errors costs about 40 €. That is not a problem. A bigger problem is LED blinker conversion.

Longhorn248 01-05-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi (Post 107991)
Yes, I always make a full LED cnversion in "cool white". The LED pack without errors costs about 40 €. That is not a problem. A bigger problem is LED blinker conversion.

The blinkers just require a little bit more than just the LEDs themselves.

Dave-ROR 01-05-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [M] (Post 107959)
At 2:47 I noticed that the license plate lights were yellow, which got me thinking...are the dome,map,glovebox,trunk etc. lights going to be yellow( is it halogen?)

If so, I plan on doing a full LED conversion to either a 'cool' white or bright white. Does anyone else have a preference on this or is it just me!? :iono:

Only the non-HID headlights are halogen, everything else is a regular incandescent bulb.

No preference here, incandescent bulbs are fine with me. :shrug: I do prefer LED taillights though. And HID headlights.

[M] 01-05-2012 03:07 PM

You know, I never have worked with doing blinker conversions. I had planned on doing it with my Integra but unfortunately didn't get around to doing it. I have had pretty good experiences with superbrightleds.com (US based) in the past. So I will most likely use them again.

Something about doing LEDs is just so appealing to me. I find that lighting, like wheels, can have a huge impact on the appearance on a vehicle. Which is why I was slightly disappointed seeing the lights in the video.

@Dave-ROR

As yes, thanks for clearing that up for me. I look forward to having factory HID headlights!

Slide 01-05-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [M] (Post 108011)
You know, I never have worked with doing blinker conversions. I had planned on doing it with my Integra but unfortunately didn't get around to doing it. I have had pretty good experiences with superbrightleds.com (US based) in the past. So I will most likely use them again.

Something about doing LEDs is just so appealing to me. I find that lighting, like wheels, can have a huge impact on the appearance on a vehicle. Which is why I was slightly disappointed seeing the lights in the video.

@Dave-ROR

As yes, thanks for clearing that up for me. I look forward to having factory HID headlights!

Can someone convert the fog lights to a cluster of LEDs?

00NissanNinja 01-05-2012 09:24 PM

I probably will, I like the cool white color. Everytime I get in someone else's car with stock incandescent bulbs I feel like the lighting sucks; its like its missing a certain sharpness to the overall aura of the car. I also have retrofited HID projectors in my car and they are amazing. Makes stock halogens look like crap, which means I will probably get some HIDs in the car to if they don't come stock.

^VLEDs sells some LEDs that go in the fog light housings

Slide 01-05-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja (Post 108180)

^VLEDs sells some LEDs that go in the fog light housings

Thanks will look into it.

old greg 01-05-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slide (Post 108176)
Can someone convert the fog lights to a cluster of LEDs?

I've toyed with the idea of making some badass driving lights with 8 or so SST-90's:D

Slide 01-05-2012 11:12 PM

Fuck yeah!!!

Slide 01-05-2012 11:22 PM

lol...

Found some, need to find out the diamater of the fog light housing!

http://cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+XM-L

http://www.cutter.com.au/categories....+on+32mm+MCPCB

old greg 01-05-2012 11:34 PM

Just bear in mind, LEDs need to be run cool. If they feel warm to the touch they're too hot and are on their way to burning out. XM-Ls are about as efficient leds can be these days, but they'll still create a significant amount of waste heat that you'll need to safely dispose of. That means you're going to need a heatsink at the very least, you can't just stick them in a fog light housing and call it done. Then there's the power supply to consider (12v will do a pretty good job of melting them).

Slide 01-05-2012 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old greg (Post 108237)
Just bear in mind, LEDs need to be run cool. If they feel warm to the touch they're too hot and are on their way to burning out. XM-Ls are about as efficient leds can be these days, but they'll still create a significant amount of waste heat that you'll need to safely dispose of. That means you're going to need a heatsink at the very least, you can't just stick them in a fog light housing and call it done. Then there's the power supply to consider (12v will do a pretty good job of melting them).

Yeah just started reading the heating figures for the lights...

Not sure about the power thought :S what can be used?

00NissanNinja 01-05-2012 11:58 PM

You shouldn't need a separate power supply, resistors can be added to lower the voltage down to the the forward voltage of the LED which is usually about 1.5V. I usually get LEDs from Vled since they wire the resistors and add heat sinks as needed in a nice plug and play package. When I wired an LED in my dimmer switch all I needed was to solder in the proper resistor in series with the LED. Heat sinks will likely be needed for groups of higher power LEDs