Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Random fluttering/flapping sound when coming to a stop (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68912)

retrosmiths 06-26-2014 09:49 PM

Random fluttering/flapping sound when coming to a stop

I hear it once a month at most, sounds like some fluttering noise (maybe oil? see below) when slowing down to a stop on neutral. Noise does not change along with speed of the car, and only lasts at most 3 seconds.

The reason why I suspect it's the oil is when I follow the manual and put X amount of oil, I check the dipstick and it's actually on the upper hole. It did sound similar to a bubbling/frothing liquid.

What do you guys think?

Ernie L 06-30-2014 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrosmiths (Post 1818338)
I hear it once a month at most, sounds like some fluttering noise (maybe oil? see below) when slowing down to a stop on neutral. Noise does not change along with speed of the car, and only lasts at most 3 seconds.

The reason why I suspect it's the oil is when I follow the manual and put X amount of oil, I check the dipstick and it's actually on the upper hole. It did sound similar to a bubbling/frothing liquid.

What do you guys think?

If it sounds a bit like some one making motor boating sounds...
then I have the same noise

The sound I hear appears during the last seconds of a full stop.
I had the hood open once with the motor running, and the noise appeared for a few seconds...the noise came from what looks like the brake line distribution box. At least that's what it appears to be..it is connected to the brake power assist and has four brake lines coming off of it. Its mounted under the hood on the drivers side front fender area.. this might be the source of the noise...

This car is a symphony of alarming/amusing,appearing and disappearing noises

retrosmiths 07-06-2014 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie L (Post 1824242)
If it sounds a bit like some one making motor boating sounds...
then I have the same noise

The sound I hear appears during the last seconds of a full stop.
I had the hood open once with the motor running, and the noise appeared for a few seconds...the noise came from what looks like the brake line distribution box. At least that's what it appears to be..it is connected to the brake power assist and has four brake lines coming off of it. Its mounted under the hood on the drivers side front fender area.. this might be the source of the noise...

This car is a symphony of alarming/amusing,appearing and disappearing noises

Yes, that motor-boating sound! :D

lastexile1987 07-07-2014 05:40 PM

I seriously thought I read the title of this thread as "random fluttering/FAPPING sound when coming to a stop"

Couldn't stop laughing for a good minute lol

continuecrushing 07-07-2014 06:20 PM

the fluttering sound is the bov...it does that sometimes.

JK

OP, is your foot on the clutch/neutral(jk, I just saw you said in neutral) when this happens? I've noticed it before, and it took a few times before I realized what it is...its the engine almost stalling and saving itself(about 2-3 seconds, as you described-by the time you go "wtf", it stops doing it). Try to check out your rpm's next time, I bet it dips below 500 when it does make the sound.

My car did this like a week after we bought it, and my wife was like, "great, our new car is broken already". Since the car doesn't do it too often, it took a while for me to figure it out. YMMV

aristo 07-07-2014 11:11 PM

Not sure what everyones idea of 'motor boat' sounds like so not sure if I am getting the same thing lol.. but I occasionally get a chatter or rattle like sound when shifted in to neutral coming to a stop and foot on break only.

It's not a fun sound to hear coming from the car so I reflexively clutch in when I hear it happen and it goes away within 1-2 seconds

I have the clutch height adjustment changed if that is perhaps a common factor possibility

nvm this is my problem: http://s421.photobucket.com/user/whs..._1331.mp4.html

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12429

I'm guessing it's not the same thing op is talking about

retrosmiths 07-08-2014 12:52 AM

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...m=Motorboating

nfaj 10-02-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shutter (Post 1833888)
the fluttering sound is the bov...it does that sometimes.

JK

OP, is your foot on the clutch/neutral(jk, I just saw you said in neutral) when this happens? I've noticed it before, and it took a few times before I realized what it is...its the engine almost stalling and saving itself(about 2-3 seconds, as you described-by the time you go "wtf", it stops doing it). Try to check out your rpm's next time, I bet it dips below 500 when it does make the sound.

My car did this like a week after we bought it, and my wife was like, "great, our new car is broken already". Since the car doesn't do it too often, it took a while for me to figure it out. YMMV

Did u ever get the car checked out? My car does this too. I'm pretty sure it sounds like detonation

continuecrushing 10-02-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfaj (Post 1969058)
Did u ever get the car checked out? My car does this too. I'm pretty sure it sounds like detonation

Nope, not detonation. Just the sound of the engine almost dying!

Since the rpms drop so much, it causes the engine to feel rough/jerky. I don't wanna say its "normal" but its no harm to the engine. Just feels weird, thats all. If you pick up an OFT, and run one of the base maps you shouldn't have an issue with this anymore.

nfaj 10-02-2014 12:18 PM

Ok thanks .. I guess it's just chatter like its about to stall oh well lol

continuecrushing 10-02-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nfaj (Post 1969111)
Ok thanks .. I guess it's just chatter like its about to stall oh well lol

Yup!

Tcoat 10-02-2014 01:06 PM

These boxer engines make some of the most bizarre noises I have ever heard come out of a car. Coupled with the fact the sound proofing almost does not exist and the engine and tranny are almost in your lap you get to hear things you would not in a "normal" car. I have completely given up with worrying about all the weird and wonderful things I hear from under that hood! Most of the sounds that are pretty much standard with this car would have had me getting one of my old V8s towed because I would refuse to drive it as there would have been something wrong!

tyrantcf 10-02-2014 01:43 PM

Theres another thread that I think describes this problem. Was your AC on? If so, the consensus seems to be that the flapping sound is caused by the AC condensor kicking on and lowering the rpms a little below normal idle. Not considered to be a real issue

nfaj 10-02-2014 02:00 PM

ill post a vid its uploading right now to confirm its the same sound. it doesn't happen all the time but when it does I'm like wtf. sounds like engine knock. yes it does happen with ac on but i haven't tried it w/o the ac.