Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   BRZ/FR-S and winter driving: Watch this video if you have any concerns! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4479)

Turbowned 03-27-2012 12:16 PM

BRZ/FR-S and winter driving: Watch this video if you have any concerns!

Hey guys,

I know a lot of potential BRZ/FR-S buyers out there are coming from FWD or AWD vehicles and may have limited experience with driving a RWD car in the snow, or have been trained to think that RWD is "bad in snow". I would like to alleviate those concerns. I have driven RWD cars in snow for about 8 or 9 New England winters (this last one barely saw any snow, not sure if it counts!), and the two things that matter most when driving in snow are the following:

1: DRIVER SKILL

2: TIRES

Without adequate skill and the right tires, you are right to think that your car will handle poorly in the snow. But I promise you, if you purchase a set of FOUR winter tires and take the time to learn to control oversteer and use gentle, controlled throttle, steering and braking inputs, your BRZ/FR-S will be one of the best cars you've ever driven in winter!

I came across this demonstration video on YouTube. It does a great job of explaining what happens when you have the right and wrong (read: all-season) tires equipped. Watch and learn!

[u2b]iKw3HffVJrk[/u2b]

brufleth 03-27-2012 12:29 PM

Nice video.

I wonder if I can find one that's AWD vs snow tires. Both would be best but we'll probably be trading an AWD car (my wife's Legacy) for a BRZ if we get one.

Edit: Well that was easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPu6F0lGixk

slizoth 03-27-2012 01:12 PM

Yeah, we don't have that kind of snow here except for maybe two weeks a year and it;'s just not worth switching the tires over for two weeks a year.

tranzformer 03-27-2012 01:13 PM

[u2b]iKw3HffVJrk[/u2b]

[u2b]NPu6F0lGixk[/u2b]

tachi1247 03-27-2012 01:34 PM

AWD does not provide any additional traction except under acceleration.

I wish people in chicago would figure out that AWD does absolutely nothing to reduce their stopping distance on snowy roads. It only really helps in getting you out of the ditch after you have already gone off the road :)

alluringreality 03-27-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slizoth (Post 166976)
Yeah, we don't have that kind of snow here except for maybe two weeks a year and it;'s just not worth switching the tires over for two weeks a year.

We don't get much snow either, but I won't be driving on summer tires in snow.

M-17 03-27-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tachi1247 (Post 167008)
AWD does not provide any additional traction except under acceleration.

I wish people in chicago would figure out that AWD does absolutely nothing to reduce their stopping distance on snowy roads. It only really helps in getting you out of the ditch after you have already gone off the road :)

You know what, I plan on going back to driving school just so I can learn to drift better.
Wait that's not what they teach us?
But then why the hell is it every winter that everyone is trying to drift?

;)

tranzformer 03-27-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alluringreality (Post 167022)
We don't get much snow either, but I won't be driving on summer tires in snow.

For the minimal amount of snow we get, you going to have a dedicated set of winter tires? Or just have a set of track tires and a set of all season? We don't get much snow and if we do it doesn't stick around long enough to seem like a set of winter only tires would be worthwhile. Maybe if we lived up in MI/MN/upstate NY/VT I would.

Khyron686 03-27-2012 02:01 PM

If the avg temps are below 7C (45F) during your driving time (morning/evening) winter tires are better even if you never see a snowflake.

tranzformer 03-27-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khyron686 (Post 167044)
If the avg temps are below 7C (45F) during your driving time (morning/evening) winter tires are better even if you never see a snowflake.

We generally have mild winters. Might get 1-2 snow falls a winter that stick around for a day or two. A set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS have served me well with no issues. If I had extended temps below 0C along with snow that stuck around for majority of the winter, then I would consider a stand alone set of snows. Hell even Texas can get a few snow falls. But I doubt anyone there will be running Blizzaks there. lol

ashtray 03-27-2012 03:00 PM

As the BRZ comes stock with SUMMER tires, a second set of winter tires is needed if temps drop below 40 degrees or so. Even without snow, cold temps make summer tires have very poor grip. Anyone living in a multi-season state should invest in a second set of tires (and rims, for ease).

I always had all season tires for the snow - but I did choose the tires based on their snow rating. It would have been nicer to get a second set of tires, for both mine and my wife's car. If you're careful, all seasons are ok in the snow - but you gotta drive slower.

tripjammer 03-27-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtray (Post 167106)
As the BRZ comes stock with SUMMER tires, a second set of winter tires is needed if temps drop below 40 degrees or so. Even without snow, cold temps make summer tires have very poor grip. Anyone living in a multi-season state should invest in a second set of tires (and rims, for ease).

I always had all season tires for the snow - but I did choose the tires based on their snow rating. It would have been nicer to get a second set of tires, for both mine and my wife's car. If you're careful, all seasons are ok in the snow - but you gotta drive slower.

I thought the prius performance tires were all season tires? Hmmm...did not know that.

Allch Chcar 03-27-2012 05:39 PM

BTW, Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khyron686 (Post 167044)

Interesting. I've never heard that before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripjammer (Post 167145)
I thought the prius performance tires were all season tires? Hmmm...did not know that.

They are a very common OEM summer tire. They are not stock Prius tires. :slap:

MF_DEUCE 03-27-2012 05:47 PM

Good post! :happy0180: