Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can Toyota use the 86/FR-S/BRZ platform for anything else? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62479)

gymratter 04-04-2014 07:13 PM

Can Toyota use the 86/FR-S/BRZ platform for anything else?

There has been alot of talk of using the twins platform for other sports car. like a shorten version for the sub 86 car and a stretched version for a production FT-1. while that sounds nice and all can Toyota do it? the joint project gives Subaru ownership to right? i mean Toyota would need Subaru's permission if they wanted to use and modified it for any other purpose than with the twins? i dont know thats why I am asking. Thanks :)

humfrz 04-05-2014 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratter (Post 1649830)
There has been alot of talk of using the twins platform for other sports car. like a shorten version for the sub 86 car and a stretched version for a production FT-1. while that sounds nice and all can Toyota do it? the joint project gives Subaru ownership to right? i mean Toyota would need Subaru's permission if they wanted to use and modified it for any other purpose than with the twins? i dont know thats why I am asking. Thanks :)

Hi gymratter.... http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/wave.gif

Your question may very well be above our collective pay grades .... ;)

humfrz

OICU812 04-05-2014 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratter (Post 1649830)

I don't think Toyota needs permission from Subaru for anything as the car was originated by Toyotas engineer and their vision from day one.

Anyhow who knows what's coming and who cares?....

When there is something actually sitting on a showroom floor, then I'll be interested and maybe care.

czar07 04-05-2014 01:54 AM

Not the exact chassis no because its made at Subaru. They would have to retool their machines to use this chassis, which wont EVER happen. What they may do is modify it for the FT-1 and build it in house.

OICU812 04-05-2014 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by czar07 (Post 1650444)
Not the exact chassis no because its made at Subaru. They would have to retool their machines to use this chassis, which wont EVER happen. What they may do is modify it for the FT-1 and build it in house.

Before Subaru even seen the car it was built actually. Of course at that time a fan dangle of equipment in it but the shape and original chassis etc was done. Tada went into negotiation with Subaru on the boxer motor and of course subaru a factory which also Toyota has % ownership in thus final results of the 86,frs,BRZ....this has all been discussed to death

Anyhow the ft1 is a much larger car and I doubt the current twins etc will be modded or changed much.

Again why care or speculate as so much bullshit rumours daily on power changes etc...

Tromatic 04-05-2014 02:25 AM

Can someone please post a link to the plugin I need to translate this thread.

ezgt86 04-05-2014 02:27 AM

Didn't toyota also was considering the toyota 86 sedan.

gymratter 04-05-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OICU812 (Post 1650462)
Before Subaru even seen the car it was built actually. Of course at that time a fan dangle of equipment in it but the shape and original chassis etc was done. Tada went into negotiation with Subaru on the boxer motor and of course subaru a factory which also Toyota has % ownership in thus final results of the 86,frs,BRZ....this has all been discussed to death

Anyhow the ft1 is a much larger car and I doubt the current twins etc will be modded or changed much.

Again why care or speculate as so much bullshit rumours daily on power changes etc...

I'm not talking about the chassis. we all know Toyota did the bodywork. I'm talking about the platform. you guys do know the differences right? Anyways I'm asking because pretty much ever article I come across says its Subaru's platform...

DragonDriver5 04-05-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratter (Post 1650613)
Anyways I'm asking because pretty much ever article I come across says its Subaru's platform...

Well kinda both.. Toyota owns a good chunk of Subaru now :cheers:

DavidBob 04-05-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezgt86 (Post 1650469)
Didn't toyota also was considering the toyota 86 sedan.

That would actually be pretty cool i would wanna see a sedan version.

z3ro 04-05-2014 09:57 AM

FRS/BRZ, the Fiero of our generation

gymratter 04-05-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonDriver5 (Post 1650640)
Well kinda both.. Toyota owns a good chunk of Subaru now :cheers:

last time I checked it was only 16%. that isn't a whole lot. just one example, but Ford in the past had a 30%+ controlling interest in Mazda.

Wolfking 04-05-2014 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3ro (Post 1650688)
FRS/BRZ, the Fiero of our generation

That's a terrible analogy! How many of those old Pontiac P.O.S. do you see on the road today? I liken my FRS to a late 60's 240Z! .

z3ro 04-05-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfking (Post 1650698)
That's a terrible analogy! How many of those old Pontiac P.O.S. do you see on the road today? I liken my FRS to a late 60's 240Z! .

http://www.blog.automotiveaddicts.co...-knock-off.jpghttps://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...63090847_n.jpg