Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Fr-s with subaru turbo? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5798)

Afdad120108 05-06-2012 12:10 PM

Fr-s with subaru turbo?

So as rumors circulate there is talk that subaru is going to make a turbo for the brz while trd is in works for makeing a supercharger. My question is if subaru makes a turbo for the brz would it be a direct bolt on to the FA20 fr-s motor? I want forced induction but would rather have a turbo than a supercharger

carbonBLUE 05-06-2012 12:12 PM

yup, probably....

Guff 05-06-2012 12:27 PM

If they have the exact same engine, why wouldn't the same part fit on both?

Afdad120108 05-06-2012 12:48 PM

Thats what i thought. The ECU and everything is made by subaru isnt it? So it should be easy to put it everything in the fr-s

Guff 05-06-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afdad120108 (Post 202220)
Thats what i thought. The ECU and everything is made by subaru isnt it? So it should be easy to put it everything in the fr-s

As easy as it will be for the BRZ...

jkonquer 05-07-2012 04:44 AM

It all depends how far they go on their turbo. If they release it as a aftermarket kit then yes. But most likely it will be a engine from a wrx.
Understand that impreza na has totally different internals than the wrx or sti. Its not just a turbo, its literaly Everything! There is no way you can directly bolt this on. Probably be easier with engine swap.
Supercharger might be a different story.

Draco-REX 05-07-2012 11:56 AM

If Subaru comes out with a Turbo BRZ, it's likely the engine won't be left as it is now. The engine would have lower compression pistons most likely, as well as other tweks like bgger injectors.

If you're thinking of bolting a turbo to your N/A FR-S, you'll have problems. Swapping the whole engine, on the other hand, would work.

Dimman 05-07-2012 01:15 PM

Any news on what Subaru is doing with the DI 1.6T they showed off beside the FA20 a while ago?

Impreza? BRZ STI? New car? Base WRX, and the WRX STI gets a 2.0T?

bigbird83 05-07-2012 08:13 PM

I read a pretty interesting article in Motor Trend about this. They were implying that, amongst other things, Subie execs were actually leaning toward a supercharged setup sourced from TRD because the car is so light and RWD. Now this was a little blurb in an article talking about marketing the car from both companies(IIRC) but it did raise the question about whether a turbo would be the best option if you wanted a smoother powerband. Now me, I know little about turbo setups muself but I'd assume you could accomplish that somehow.

DIG1992 05-07-2012 09:06 PM

even though were talking about the brz here the next WRX is rumored to get a electronic turbo so we might see that in the brz

ichitaka05 05-07-2012 11:50 PM

If they go w turbo... They have hellova stuff they need to figure out other than internal parts. Intake & exhaust relocation, TMIC or FMIC figuration, if it's FMIC redesign radiator, if it's TMIC they need to move the engine forward, & list just goes on & on

serialk11r 05-08-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 203800)
If they go w turbo... They have hellova stuff they need to figure out other than internal parts. Intake & exhaust relocation, TMIC or FMIC figuration, if it's FMIC redesign radiator, if it's TMIC they need to move the engine forward, & list just goes on & on

Yea, this is why I think they'll stick with NA until not only have next generation forced induction and electronics have matured, but also when they are absolutely required to hit fuel efficiency goals. A very advanced electric turbo system would come with a whole host of power electronics, and to increase fuel efficiency I think they'd first be looking at hybrid systems before turning to downsizing+complex FI.

Jimbo 05-08-2012 02:34 AM

Yeah, I'm not understanding how they could release a bolt-on supercharger (or turbo) that would work well with the current high-compression engine. Unless it only had 2 lbs of boost or required thick head gasket spacers.