Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   LoJack and other related security measures (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4006)

Zgrinch 03-03-2012 09:39 AM

LoJack and other related security measures

Given the limited supply of the BRZ, and maybe the FRS (unknown at this point), I think these cars to be a high target for car thieves.

What is your opinion of LoJack or other security solutions you are considering ?

I am a novice in these matters, but from my initial google search on LoJack, it appears to be very effective and is around $700 or so.

Your thoughts........

MannyO 03-03-2012 09:45 AM

I've had LoJack in all my cars so far. I realize its a bit pricey, but the peace of mind is nice.

thermobox 03-03-2012 10:02 AM

A lock is only as good as the thief and will keep an honest man honest. If they want your car, all they need is a flatbed.

neutron256 03-03-2012 11:35 AM

Factory ignition immobilizer is getting to be standard on all new cars and is bery effective. If a thief is sophisticated enough to bypass the immobilizer then ther isn't much else that's going to stop them.

carbonBLUE 03-03-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 147768)
Factory ignition immobilizer is getting to be standard on all new cars and is bery effective. If a thief is sophisticated enough to bypass the immobilizer then ther isn't much else that's going to stop them.

or you can rig the car with explosives, if it starts and moves more than a mile from your keyless fob, it blows up...

MannyO 03-03-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonBLUE (Post 147875)
or you can rig the car with explosives, if it starts and moves more than a mile from your keyless fob, it blows up...

:laughabove: That should be enough of a deterrent haha

Longhorn248 03-03-2012 02:40 PM

Full coverage insurance for me, if they steal it then they steal it I guess.

sbxjap 03-22-2012 05:02 PM

full-coverage insurance with gap coverage.... n park in front of house within view from window... so I can shoot the damn bastard who wants my car! Blow it up! If I can't have it, neither can they!

brianbot5000 03-24-2012 06:38 PM

Sort of off topic, but along the lines of theft deterrent... Does anyone know which is easier to break into and hot-wire - the keyless start, or the standard ignition?\

As for Lojack - probably not for me. I park in a garage at home and at work, and if someone really wants to steal it elsewhere then I guess they will.

DEnd 03-26-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianbot5000 (Post 164882)
Sort of off topic, but along the lines of theft deterrent... Does anyone know which is easier to break into and hot-wire - the keyless start, or the standard ignition?\

With the correct tools... either one. Probably the most secure are the smart key systems.

Dave-ROR 03-26-2012 07:46 AM

Unlike the high theft target hondas I'm used to I can't think of any reason someone would steal these cars. The engine is unlikely to appeal to all that many Subaru theives who would be more likely to steal an EJ powered car.

Maybe eventually people who buy beat up FR-S/BRZP might steal them for the interior bits?

Either way I'm not worried about it anytime soon.

GodSays 04-24-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonBLUE (Post 147875)

Better. Never take the keys with you if you decide to go somewhere n your not in your car lol
Might go to the market n come home to no car or garage lol

Evil86 04-24-2012 07:02 PM

I had lo jack once, but only once. It seems a waste of money.

Draco-REX 04-24-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 165720)
Unlike the high theft target hondas I'm used to I can't think of any reason someone would steal these cars. The engine is unlikely to appeal to all that many Subaru theives who would be more likely to steal an EJ powered car.

Maybe eventually people who buy beat up FR-S/BRZP might steal them for the interior bits?

Either way I'm not worried about it anytime soon.

This.

It's VERY hard to sell a whole car that's been stolen. The only way to do it reliably is to ship it outside it's home country, and the profit wouldn't be worth it. So thieves want parts, and the BRZ won't have many parts that can be resold, except to other BRZ owners.

So I doubt it'll be a high theft car at first. But security is always good, and insurance is better. And be sure to ask your insurance agent about Gap insurance if you're making payments.