Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Windows Squeaking (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11417)

Froylavin 07-12-2012 03:47 AM

Windows Squeaking

I had an issue where my passenger side window squeaked while closing at the very top. Everytime the door is opened and closed, it would squeak. It wouldnt squeak while using it normal, but would squeak while closing it even when the door is shut.

I oiled the top and it didnt seem to resolve the problem so I took it to the dealer service center today. They oiled the sides and that didnt help and told me they'd need to keep my car for a day just to fix a squeaky window!

I told them I'll bring it back tomorrow so I can arrange alternative transport to work. Right before I left the passenger side window started to squeak aswell.

After a short 20 minute drive, I get to work and both windows are NOT squeaking. I'm pretty sure this problem is going to come back. Is this happening to anyone else?

Any ideas on how to sort this out? I dont want to leave my car for a day if its a simple fix, especially since the problem comes and goes.

Shagaliscious 07-12-2012 06:28 AM

Not getting any squeaks from my windows.

TheFRSChick 07-12-2012 11:03 AM

Mines squeaks and I roll the window up and down sometimes :( my friend said cause its wet but idk...

cto424 07-12-2012 11:22 AM

I have/had the same problem. At first it only happened on the drivers side but it happened once or twice on the passenger side too. My windows would squeak when I roll them down. The squeak would start when the window gets to about 75% open to fully down.

Hasn't happened for a while, and hopefully it doesn't effect my tint that I just got done.

michaelahess 07-12-2012 01:44 PM

This has happened to me before when the dealer puts a rubber treatment on the weather stripping. Clean them off really good with just plain water. Don't use alcohol as that will dry it all out. Oils aren't good for this either, they should be completely clean of all chemicals.

Only use a rubber restorer every few years, and you RUB IT IN until it's almost completely gone, then wipe it down real good. If it looks wet, there is WAY too much on there.

michaelahess 07-12-2012 01:46 PM

Check the feltish like weather stripping on the door as well, if you get the squeek all the way down. Those can get all kinds of nasty stuff in them that scratches and streaks the windows.

FakeWhiteMan 07-12-2012 02:03 PM

Mine will make a ton of noise every now and then...

Rob_g 07-12-2012 03:55 PM

Yeah my window seals squeak BAD when the window is wet. I hate to think how bad this could be if the window gets frozen to the seal in winter. you probably won't be able to open the door then or risk damaging the rubber.

Which begs the question, has this car been winter tested at all? If anyone washes it in winter, I would leave the windows down a little when done OR ELSE!

Rob

MannyO 07-12-2012 11:25 PM

I noticed squeaking on my passenger window a few days ago. The squeaking only lasted the final 2 or 3 inches until it was fully down. Rolling the window back up I had the same results; squeaked for the first couple of inches, then went silent.

Even though it hasn't happened again since, it got me wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing...and as it turns out, I'm not alone! :sigh:

Oh and my window was completely dry and cool to the touch (if that helps).

drew935 07-13-2012 01:03 AM

Maybe use Swissvax Gum Feed:
Let’s get it right: As rubber becomes brittle, cracked and unsightly over the years, regular care of all rubber parts is crucial. Swissvax Gum Feed was developed exclusively for rubber and keeps rubber seals pliable for years. Even hardened seals become soft and flexible again after several applications. And it also reliably prevents seals from freezing on in the winter.

Rob_g 07-13-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannyO (Post 312387)
I noticed squeaking on my passenger window a few days ago. The squeaking only lasted the final 2 or 3 inches until it was fully down. Rolling the window back up I had the same results; squeaked for the first couple of inches, then went silent.

Even though it hasn't happened again since, it got me wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing...and as it turns out, I'm not alone! :sigh:

Oh and my window was completely dry and cool to the touch (if that helps).

Mine only squeaks when the window reaches the top where it has to slide into the rubber seal. It does not happen when the windows are dry or going down.

Rob

Froylavin 07-13-2012 11:45 AM

Mine only happens at the very top aswell.

I tried opening the door and pressing the side button that makes the door think its closed so the window goes up to the top and it didnt make any noise. So it is definitely coming from the window sliding on the rubber seal.

I tried very very lightly oiling it and it didnt change anything. Any other ideas to get this to stop?

The squeak comes and goes randomly on both windows.

shawn 07-13-2012 12:10 PM

I'm getting a little squeak on the window.. but not bad. I would recommend calling Scion support to get a case number and have it documented. I would also bring the car to the dealership and have them look at it (you just got the thing!). I had some minor issues with my FR-S and my dealer (Balise Scion) took care of them quickly and for free.

GuySmily 07-13-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew935 (Post 312563)
Maybe use Swissvax Gum Feed

Never heard of this stuff, but I'm guessing it's similar to Shin Etsu. This stuff fixed a small air leak at the hardtop on my MR2. It makes rubber feel like brand new too. But I guess you guys have brand new rubber... Still might be worth a shot though.

I went to the local Honda dealer and asked them to price match this website (scroll down or search page for "etsu"):
http://www.handa-accessories.com/s2000-03maint.html
(Later I found out that they ARE this website! The guy didn't even say anything!)

Alternate site
http://www.bernardiparts.com/Shin-Et...8798-9013.aspx

Here's a 50/50 of what it looks like after application
http://guysmily.com/gallery2/d/858-2/DSC_2232sm.jpg