Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jalopnik FR-S First Drive (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5323)

Sport-Tech 04-25-2012 12:21 AM

Jalopnik FR-S First Drive

http://jalopnik.com/5904824/scion-fr+s-first-drive
Quote:

This FR-S has the potential to bring the concept of "fun to drive" back to a whole new generation.

NESW20 04-25-2012 12:59 AM

this stuck out. i believe this is why we'll see some reviewers not like the car very much. not all automotive journalists have the same level of driving skill. i can't wait to get my hands on one! :happyanim:

Quote:

I was able to recover quickly, but it's a good reminder that, with all the electronic nannies off, you're dealing with a chassis that has the capacity to both reward talent and punish the idiot, if you're not careful.
almost reminds me of a particular early-90s sports car from toyota...

switchlanez 04-25-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NESW20 (Post 190985)
this stuck out. i believe this is why we'll see some reviewers not like the car very much. not all automotive journalists have the same level of driving skill. i can't wait to get my hands on one! :happyanim:

almost reminds me of a particular early-90s sports car from toyota...

The S-dub snaps at your slightest mistake though with little to no forgiveness. At least the FR-S seems to give some warning/leeway as you linearly approach its limits. People will wreck the FR-S but not as badly as that other car I hope. :bonk:

ichitaka05 04-25-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 191088)
The S-dub snaps at your slightest mistake though with little to no forgiveness. At least the FR-S seems to give some warning/leeway as you linearly approach its limits. People will wreck the FR-S but not as badly as that other car I hope. :bonk:

This is my opinion here, but when I'm autox'ing or tracking the FR-S, you gotta be so dumb not to feel what you're doing wrong. Seriously, car is smacking you back of your head say "WTF?!?!" and when you're doing things right, car is telling you "You're the man!"

But recent new sports car that came out automatically fixes those driver mistakes that, driver assume that FR-S will do the same. That's where review differs. Some driver's listen to the car and some driver's don't.

SuqMadiq 04-25-2012 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 191092)
you gotta be so dumb not to feel what you're doing wrong. Seriously, car is smacking you back of your head say "WTF?!?!" and when you're doing things right, car is telling you "You're the man!"

:popcorn:

OrbitalEllipses 04-25-2012 04:31 AM

@Guff I totally saw your comment on this article.

Deslock 04-25-2012 07:46 AM

Hah!

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17km...g/original.jpg

Quote:

think of this as a 2-seater with provisions for an occasional friend sideways or a pair of friendly amputees
Another nice quote:
Quote:

the important thing is that I was actually laughing out loud. Like what people imagine when they type "LOL." It was the most fun I've had in a car in a long time.

dookie11 04-25-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 191092)
This is my opinion here, but when I'm autox'ing or tracking the FR-S, you gotta be so dumb not to feel what you're doing wrong. Seriously, car is smacking you back of your head say "WTF?!?!" and when you're doing things right, car is telling you "You're the man!"

But recent new sports car that came out automatically fixes those driver mistakes that, driver assume that FR-S will do the same. That's where review differs. Some driver's listen to the car and some driver's don't.

Do you mean the tachometer? Cuz I never looked at mine in my Civic. But mostly, cuz it didn't have one :P

Guff 04-25-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 191143)
@Guff I totally saw your comment on this article.

Who is Xander?!?!?!? He seems like he should be a BRZer!! Every time there is a Zx6 article, he is always convincing people to love the car!

Is it you, Orb?

KevinDuMa 04-25-2012 12:59 PM

"While there was certainly plenty of the usual marketing-speak horseshit flying around (overuse of the word "passion", and one guy who said FR-S stands for "Friggin Really Sweet." Puke.) the truth actually seems to be that Toyota genuinely wanted to build a real sports car."

:bellyroll:

bladesamurai 04-25-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guff (Post 191401)
Who is Xander?!?!?!? He seems like he should be a BRZer!! Every time there is a Zx6 article, he is always convincing people to love the car!

is Zx6 a chassis code or something? I see some people referring to the BRZ of FR-S with it but I just think of the Kawasaki sportbike instead.

ichitaka05 04-25-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dookie11 (Post 191398)
Do you mean the tachometer? Cuz I never looked at mine in my Civic. But mostly, cuz it didn't have one :P

No, what I mean is when you drive this car, you can feel you're making mistakes. Overspeeding into the corner. Understeer, oversteer, every tiny things. Just recent sports cars, the computer fix the driver's mistakes... vs FRS don't fix it, but instead, it tells you & make you fix it yourself.

ichitaka05 04-25-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladesamurai (Post 191416)
is Zx6 a chassis code or something? I see some people referring to the BRZ of FR-S with it but I just think of the Kawasaki sportbike instead.

FRS = ZC6
BRZ = ZN6
Both = Zx6

... Or was FRS was ZN6?

Guff 04-25-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bladesamurai (Post 191416)

See below.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 191421)
FRS = ZC6
BRZ = ZN6
Both = Zx6

... Or was FRS was ZN6?

No, you got it right. Thanks Ichi!