Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   How often do you wash your car ? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136467)

evoto86 08-21-2019 06:13 AM

How often do you wash your car ?

I wash my 86 once every 2-3 months its parked in a garage and parked under shelter at work, the only thing is it accumulates a lot of dust but my understanding is that dust does not damage the paint work. Except when kn*b heads think its funny/clever to write something on your car.

Bird Stains, Bug Stains and Acid stains eat at and wreck paint so I'm always quick to remove any of that when I see it. My car is three years old and the paint is still like new and no swirl marks or marks anywhere that I can see.

My theory is the less I wash it I'm actually keeping the paint work in new condition because I'm not spreading that dirt and grime once a week into the paint work when washing it. Because washing your car is a process that might clean but damage your paint finish, of course you can minimise it by good washing techniques but you will still scratch your paint its not really avoidable, Is my thinking flawed ?

What are your thoughts ?

RToyo86 08-21-2019 08:48 AM

Depends on a bunch of variables. How many miles you cover, weather conditions, bugs etc.
Best thing I can suggest if you want easy Maintenance is to look into a ceramic coating. At the very least a good sealant that will last between your washes.

I wash mine about weekly in the summer. I switch on and off between ONR rinseless washes and a two bucket with Adams shampoo and then air drying the car.

I much prefer to air dry as it involves less direct contact with the paint. With the two bucket and air dry my car was pretty much perfect with 15-20 washes the first year I had it.

Grady 08-21-2019 11:58 AM

Every time it gets dirty. Use water and 100% cotton towels most the time. Wheels get soap for the brake dust(Brembo are dusty). Car get soap every couple of months. On average probably once every week and a half or so.

Tcoat 08-21-2019 12:37 PM

At least weekly all year round. Sometimes two or three times a week in the winter.
In freezing winter weather it just gets a touchless carwash drive through. May only stay clean 1/2 an hour but I get to enjoy the sparkle for a bit.
When not freezing and the rest of the year I hand wash with an automotive soap/polish combo (whatever is on sale) and microfiber cloths. It gets washed every Friday even if not "dirty".

If you are rinsing the coarse stuff off and using soft clothes you are not damaging the paint by washing it. There can be much more damage from letting contaminates (even invisible ones) sit on the surface.

Pedro13 08-21-2019 01:09 PM

In summer, since I drive my car in a highway, the highway is full of bugs (and crap) and my car is halo (white) color, I wash it 2 to 3 times per week... Otherwise my front looks like a bug catalog. The way that I do it is buy one of this "season pass" of one of the Gas chain here (Petro -Canada) and ONLY using touchless car wash! Never (ever) use the ones with "gentile touch", because at the end I think this touch car washes damage your paint. After almost 3 years with my car, paint still looking great. I also wax my car once or twice per year and don't use it on winter. Last note: this "season pass cards" are little expensive, but if you have 2 or more cars are worth it( just make the math). Another alternative is buy one of this cards with a couple of friends and take turns, since you are allowed o have one "full wash" car per day...My two cents.

radon55 08-21-2019 01:42 PM

I've been doing once every 2-3 weeks, or soon after a weekend drive that collects a lot of bugs. Since it's not my DD and sits in a parking garage, it doesn't collect debris too often.

I don't think washing more frequently causes any harm to the paint.

Tcoat 08-21-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro13 (Post 3250170)
In summer, since I drive my car in a highway, the highway is full of bugs (and crap) and my car is halo (white) color, I wash it 2 to 3 times per week... Otherwise my front looks like a bug catalog. The way that I do it is buy one of this "season pass" of one of the Gas chain here (Petro -Canada) and ONLY using touchless car wash! Never (ever) use the ones with "gentile touch", because at the end I think this touch car washes damage your paint. After almost 3 years with my car, paint still looking great. I also wax my car once or twice per year and don't use it on winter. Last note: this "season pass cards" are little expensive, but if you have 2 or more cars are worth it( just make the math). Another alternative is buy one of this cards with a couple of friends and take turns, since you are allowed o have one "full wash" car per day...My two cents.

Hear ya on the bugs. There is nothing like driving through the swamps bordering the 401 at dusk or dawn.
No bugs.
No bugs
No bugs.
Swamp.
BAAM can't see through bug covered windshield.

Season passes can be had for as little as $100 around here. That is far less than the $14 per wash individual price. I know there are some that cost way more though and teaming up is the way to go.

Just one point on the touchless washes. They are not all created equal. Around here we have an abundance of lakes and river so have an extensive water supply. This means the wash is all done using fresh clean water. In many places the washes "filter" and reuse the same water over and over and over and over until it is more of a chemical stew than actual water. You don't want to use them too often in those areas.

DarkPira7e 08-21-2019 03:19 PM

Every couple weeks, provided my car hasn't blown up. If it does, it gets washed by Toyota before being re-delivered to me.

Mr.ac 08-21-2019 07:25 PM

Every season at max.
Depends who shits on the car. If no shits, every 3 months.

Tristor 08-21-2019 07:30 PM

Every other Saturday it gets washed and the interior vacuumed, takes about 20-30 minutes with a pressure washer, no touch method, and drying with a large microfiber.

RToyo86 08-21-2019 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tristor (Post 3250298)
Every other Saturday it gets washed and the interior vacuumed, takes about 20-30 minutes with a pressure washer, no touch method, and drying with a large microfiber.

Do you use a dry-aid?

Sapphireho 08-21-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3250192)
Hear ya on the bugs. There is nothing like driving through the swamps bordering the 401 at dusk or dawn.
No bugs.
No bugs
No bugs.
Swamp.
BAAM can't see through bug covered windshield.

Season passes can be had for as little as $100 around here. That is far less than the $14 per wash individual price. I know there are some that cost way more though and teaming up is the way to go.

Just one point on the touchless washes. They are not all created equal. Around here we have an abundance of lakes and river so have an extensive water supply. This means the wash is all done using fresh clean water. In many places the washes "filter" and reuse the same water over and over and over and over until it is more of a chemical stew than actual water. You don't want to use them too often in those areas.

Here $20/month unlimited. I do it for the trucks. For the sports cars I'm buying a water softener system. It will be good for the house Windows too.

86MLR 08-21-2019 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wash: every week, 2 at the max, includes interior and engine bay

Wax: every month, underbody also gets a clean monthly

This is my therapy time, nothing more relaxing than cleaning a car.

Apart from when I find a new scratch or ding, my brow furrows, my lips purse and my nostrils flare, for 1 second I'm Patrick Bateman, then it's, meh, shit happens, and I continue to clean

Tcoat 08-21-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86MLR (Post 3250306)
Wash: every week, 2 at the max, includes interior and engine bay

Wax: every month, underbody also gets a clean monthly

This is my therapy time, nothing more relaxing than cleaning a car.

Apart from when I find a new scratch or ding, my brow furrows, my lips purse and my nostrils flare, for 1 second I'm Patrick Bateman, then it's, meh, shit happens, and I continue to clean

Oh let’s not talk about the engine bay.