Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements / Questions / Issues (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Update home page - please (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136232)

AmphOne 08-08-2019 01:26 AM

Update home page - please

Mods/Admins: The most up-to-date blog-post on the home page is of a 2016 vehicle. I know this page is community-driven, but is there any current info we can add to the home page that isn't a concept car that didn't happen?

There could be a ton of great information for new visitors and I understand we all go straight to the forum, but the home page is 3 years behind.

Dake 08-08-2019 11:32 AM

That's hilarious. I don't think I even realized there was a homepage!

Sapphireho 08-08-2019 11:35 AM

This gets asked, and ignored every couple years.

Tcoat 08-08-2019 11:45 AM

This site is barely even moderated anymore much less having the main page updated. If it wasn't for ichi it would be anarchy in here.
In reality what would an updated page include anyway? The click bait car blogs have the market in fictional speculation wrapped up and as soon as one of them makes up the new wave of rumours we get 25 threads about them. The best the home page could say is "at this point in time we don't know shit".

finch1750 08-08-2019 11:55 AM

Can a mod even update the homepage? Or Admin only?

ichitaka05 08-08-2019 12:02 PM

Answer few things.

Quote:

If it wasn't for ichi it would be anarchy in here.
Maybe... most of the old boys here are pretty good. Most of the time, I don't need to do much work. Cuz by the time I get there, you guys already roasted the newbies.

Quote:

In reality what would an updated page include anyway?
Actually, if you check our sister site Supra MKV, you can see main page been used to see the hot topic/feature threads. It's kinda cool tbh... but sadly, vbulletin can't do it.

Quote:

Can a mod even update the homepage? Or Admin only?
Sadly, only Admin can do it. I asked to see if I can do it, cuz I'm here everyday and will update front page... no luck. O'well.

extrashaky 08-08-2019 12:05 PM

Just get rid of the home page and have www.ft86club.com point directly to the forum index. Problem solved.

I've seen several websites do this when they accepted that the only reason anybody was coming to the sites was for their forums. Instead of expending resources on keeping it current for nobody to read or having the embarrassment of a woefully outdated page, just dump it altogether.

Tcoat 08-08-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 3245821)
Answer few things.

Maybe... most of the old boys here are pretty good. Most of the time, I don't need to do much work. Cuz by the time I get there, you guys already roasted the newbies.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3oz8x...dtQY/giphy.gif

Actually, if you check our sister site Supra MKV, you can see main page been used to see the hot topic/feature threads. It's kinda cool tbh... but sadly, vbulletin can't do it.

The Supra site is still in it's honeymoon phase. Look at it once the car has been around for 7 years and see what features are being talked about. Bet the exact same thing as happened here has occurred.

Tcoat 08-08-2019 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 3245825)
Just get rid of the home page and have www.ft86club.com point directly to the forum index. Problem solved.

I've seen several websites do this when they accepted that the only reason anybody was coming to the sites was for their forums. Instead of expending resources on keeping it current for nobody to read or having the embarrassment of a woefully outdated page, just dump it altogether.

Maybe we could have a weekly feature about what cars run better on high octane fuel!

ichitaka05 08-08-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 3245825)

I don't mind this idea. Either way 99.9% of ppl come here come to check the threads and pics anyways.

finch1750 08-08-2019 01:24 PM

The only thing I could see being cool as homepage updates would be user submitted articles covering major events like 86 specific race series recaps (86Drive Challenge/86Cup, etc) or major regional meets (like Norcal86 Summer Kickoff).

No extra work beyond admin posting it (mods could pre-approve or a committee of user selected to see what is worthy).

ichitaka05 08-08-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3245874)
The only thing I could see being cool as homepage updates would be user submitted articles covering major events like 86 specific race series recaps (86Drive Challenge/86Cup, etc) or major regional meets (like Norcal86 Summer Kickoff).

No extra work beyond admin posting it (mods could pre-approve or a committee of user selected to see what is worthy).

That could be a good one as well. But not sure vBulletin will allow that kind of options.

I'm hoping to see some kind of update on this forum to help front page and forum lil bit more... but only time will tell.

soundman98 08-08-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3245874)

i am formally opposed to anything to do with california. don't live there, don't plan to visit, don't see any reason why i need to keep hearing about it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/3216/2...024dfd06_b.jpg

why? 08-09-2019 05:25 AM

Oh come on, We all want that car to be created. Think of it as our ongoing protest to Toyota. Make that car a reality!