Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cusco Earth Grounding Kit (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23321)

xn7485 11-30-2012 08:23 AM

Cusco Earth Grounding Kit

1 Attachment(s)
Just recently saw this featured for these cars, does a simple grounding kit really benefit? Would like some feedback from previous owners if possible.

powertrip 11-30-2012 08:36 AM

No. They would provide benefit on older era cars (90's/80's) but on a modern car are a waste of money. Search any of the other numerous forums for popular 20xx era cars (WRX, Z's, etc) and you will see the same results.

celica73 11-30-2012 09:09 AM

The only differences in that dyno comparison are noise. Shame on a company for trying to use it for marketing.

shu5892001 11-30-2012 09:13 AM

i had a buddy club condenser on my Mazda 3 and it did nothing

Hawaiian 11-30-2012 10:21 AM

Voodoo magic! That dyno is within standard variance.

VSGTS14 11-30-2012 10:52 AM

a grounding kit does nothing. yea, it may provide better amperage, say if you had a bunch of electronics going...otherwise, nothing.

Dave-ROR 11-30-2012 11:36 AM

Waste. Of. Money.

Deebeaux 11-30-2012 11:36 AM

Snake oil!

Although maybe in combination with a power conditioner, a hyper voltage system, and a Tornado you could get like 75MPG and another 100HP!

In all reality if a vehicle ends up benefiting from an upgraded grounding system it's purely the result of the original one either being insufficient (whether from the factory or due to end user upgrades) or defective. I had a vehicle where the primary grounds from the battery were corroded inside the wiring badly. Fuel economy nor power seemed affected, but things like dim headlights, a weird sounding horn, and an inconsistent idle did happen.

JPxM0Dz 11-30-2012 11:54 AM

If there's a Group Buy and they're like a $1 per kit, count me in :thumbsup:

^^^Sarcasm

JoeBoxer 11-30-2012 12:24 PM

Cusco seems to produce a lot of parts that don't really provide any results, this and the big bore throttle body seem to just be out there to take peoples money. Some people will buy it just because they think it wouldn't be available if it didn't add power or they want it for bragging rights on the show circuit. I don't have a lot of respect for Cusco for offering stuff like this.

Orthow 11-30-2012 12:48 PM

Can be easily replicated with a few feet of 4 guage wiring.

Also, as stated that dyno graph is BS - Cusco trying to scam the ricers.

naikaidriver 11-30-2012 03:05 PM

Walk in to any Yellow Hat or Autobacs in Japan and those kits are everywhere.

I think you may get more gains from one of those eBay, electric turbo fans! :lol::lol::lol:

Scott

GremlinGSP 11-30-2012 03:17 PM

I mean if your putting a badass stereo in I could see it. It can help if your lights dim when the sub hits but I'm not having any issues like that at all.

2point0 11-30-2012 03:20 PM

Lots of newer cars have crap grounding. My 05 WRX and 10 STi both had dinky little ground wires connecting to the chassis. Haven't really looked at the one on the BRZ yet. But since every device that you ground to the chassis has to go back to that point, it can help depending on what all you're hooking up (stereo, gauges, cameras, gps, lights, etc).

For the most part (stock car), no real difference. If upgrading the sound system, it can mean the difference between headlights dimming or not. With my WRX, I had headlight dimming issues so I put a capacitor in the system because I thought that was supposed to help (hey, I was dumb). In the end, I ditched the cap and made a grounding kit from 8ga power wire from Al & Ed's at like $1/ft (might have even been less). I soldered all the terminals and heatshrinked them. The result was much better and my headlights never dimmed when the subs hit after that.

Paying money for a grounding kit is a waste unless you are absolutely unable to create one on your own. Buying wire, strippers, terminals, heatshrink does add up. Claims of 2 HP gains are pretty worthless, if you ask me. Look at some dyno graphs of people doing back to back runs, they change slightly every run.

There are several topics on NASIOC about this with DIY guides as well. Look up "big 3 mod".