Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   They're Not Making Those Any More (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128350)

bkharmony 06-16-2018 05:12 PM

They're Not Making Those Any More

I'm at my Toyota dealership waiting on scheduled maintenance, so I went over to say hi to the salesman who sold me my last two Toyotas. I told him I love my car but I'm thinking of trading in my AT for an MT. He replied "Oh, they're not making those any more."

Granted, this is the dealership that knew absolutely nothing about the car when I bought it. Still, not encouraging. I was hoping to at least test drive an MT.

PetrolioBenzina 06-16-2018 05:35 PM

I suspect this news would be plastered all over this site. Finish your service, find a new dealer. Or at least a different salesman. If the next dude/ette says the same thing, come back and ring the alarm!

bkharmony 06-16-2018 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 3099658)
I suspect this news would be plastered all over this site. Finish your service, find a new dealer. Or at least a different salesman. If a the next dude says the same thing, come back and ring the alarm!

Certainly. My intent was not that I believe them, or to spread false information. Just to relay what's going on at (some) dealer level.

PetrolioBenzina 06-16-2018 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkharmony (Post 3099659)
Certainly. My intent was not that I believe them, or to spread false information. Just to relay what's going on at (some) dealer level.

I knew what you meant! Get the 17 MT, OFT, E85, profit.

stevesnj 06-16-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkharmony (Post 3099659)

Sounds like he has too many AT's in stock he needs to get rid of

Lantanafrs2 06-16-2018 09:46 PM

Jalopnik missed this???!!

FRSBRZGT86FAN 06-16-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkharmony (Post 3099653)
I'm at my Toyota dealership waiting on scheduled maintenance, so I went over to say hi to the salesman who sold me my last two Toyotas. I told him I love my car but I'm thinking of trading in my AT for an MT. He replied "Oh, they're not making those any more."

Granted, this is the dealership that knew absolutely nothing about the car when I bought it. Still, not encouraging. I was hoping to at least test drive an MT.

He's lieing, but he probably doesn't know better, it's sad sales people from dealerships are still not educated on the 86/BRZ. Most likely his dealership no longer has the manuals in stock. I noticed in my area as well that only autos seem to be in stock locally....

ichitaka05 06-17-2018 10:11 AM

Maybe salesman was trying to say “Don’t have MT currently”?

Cuz 86/BRZ isn’t going away anytime soon... at least atm they’re planning to keep making it.

nikitopo 06-17-2018 11:11 AM

Hmm.. strange about the "Oh, they're not making those any more". Model F production started October '17. They have at least Summer to end the current production cycle and go to model G or decide to stop overall the production. Unless, the factories are so busy with the new "global" platform (new impreza, forester, xv, etc.) and the current year production of 86/BRZ is already finished.

bkharmony 06-18-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesnj (Post 3099702)
Sounds like he has too many AT's in stock he needs to get rid of

They didn't have any (AT or MT) in stock.

mav1178 06-18-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkharmony (Post 3099653)
Granted, this is the dealership that knew absolutely nothing about the car when I bought it.

So they already proved to you that they don't know anything, yet you're somehow still believing them?

Tell them to give you proof.

Salespeople will tell you anything you want to believe.

SCQTT 06-18-2018 03:29 PM

Well, even if the guy is wrong the writing is o the wall. As good as the car is it failed to gather any attention outside of a handful of fans. Its not quite a Subaru, because its their only RWD and it is surpassed by the heavy, but perhaps more practical for the masses WRX, and it's not really a Toyota because it was a SCION first.

There is a massive amount of support that comes along with offering a car in the US market. It might be different if they could just put them on a boat and ship them over here and sell a few to the cool people in-the-know, but that does not work. We even go as far as bemoaning the dealers who do not know anything about the car.

Toyota dealers knowing little about this car are the ones hurting the sales volume? I would guess that a big Toyota dealer sells more Corollas in a week than they do a 86 in a year. Has nothing to do with the quality of the car, it was designed to be an affordable, lightweight RWD coupe. It was actually right on target, but it is priced a little too steep. I bet we'd see less Corolla S on the road if the 86 was 15-20% lower priced.

They killed the FJ Cruiser while it was wildly more popular than the FRS/86. I would be shocked if there is an updated one or if this one makes it past model year 2019.

Vital 06-18-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCQTT (Post 3100215)
Well, even if the guy is wrong the writing is o the wall. As good as the car is it failed to gather any attention outside of a handful of fans. Its not quite a Subaru, because its their only RWD and it is surpassed by the heavy, but perhaps more practical for the masses WRX, and it's not really a Toyota because it was a SCION first.

Uhh what??

Spuds 06-18-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCQTT (Post 3100215)

... What drugs are you on?