Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Polishing questions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98243)

drew_kar 11-29-2015 12:14 PM

Polishing questions

What polish are you guys using on your car? I only ask this because I know the paint on our cars is not the best. So I guess I am asking which polish is best for our paint and isnt too rough on it. I searched and couldn't find the info I needed. I have a few swirl marks and some hard water spots on the paint and the glass. What do you guys use? Thanks!

WhiteFRS69 11-29-2015 01:17 PM

ive been using Meguiars 205 polish

i normally use this with a variety of pads, but i tend to use white pad for light polish work on the car, (love marks or very light swirls)

i personally like using 105 compound with a Microfiber towel, but i havent used this set up yet on this car

drew_kar 11-29-2015 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 (Post 2465313)
ive been using Meguiars 205 polish

i normally use this with a variety of pads, but i tend to use white pad for light polish work on the car, (love marks or very light swirls)

i personally like using 105 compound with a Microfiber towel, but i havent used this set up yet on this car

Thanks! I want to polish the car to get the light swirls and water marks out. I have a DA and done this before but not on these cars. I'll be using Ammo NYC products to protect the paint with. These are the hard water marks I'm dealing with
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11...dc3a26fa2a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

WhiteFRS69 11-29-2015 01:36 PM

105 would take care of that no problem with a yellow foam pad or a mircofiber cutting pad

if you need some step bye step insructions
look into Chemcial guys on Youtube.. they do alot of How To Videos

EzyBrzy 11-29-2015 03:26 PM

My car turned out pretty good with Chemical guys line of polish. Just recently picked up 3D HD line of products including the Cut, Polish, and their AIO product: Speed. Nothing but good reviews and priced well.

http://www.autogeek.net/3d-car-care-products.html

NLS8520 11-29-2015 08:17 PM

M205 is a probably a safe bet along with a white polishing pad. Perfect one step imho. Might want to consider an IPA or eraser wipe down to make sure to remove residue oils in m205 , so that there will be no bonding issue with Larry's products. Do you plan to try his new coating?

drew_kar 11-29-2015 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLS8520 (Post 2465599)
M205 is a probably a safe bet along with a white polishing pad. Perfect one step imho. Might want to do an IPA or eraser wipe down to make sure they play well with Larry's products. Do you plan to try his new coating?

Actually yes that was my plan. However, correcting my paint beforehand would be ideal. But yeah I'm gonna try his new coating since I've seen how good his stuff works in person haha.

NLS8520 11-29-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew_kar (Post 2465604)
Actually yes that was my plan. However, correcting my paint beforehand would be ideal. But yeah I'm gonna try his new coating since I've seen how good his stuff works in person haha.

Very cool bro post some pics when done.

WhiteFRS69 11-30-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLS8520 (Post 2465599)
M205 is a probably a safe bet along with a white polishing pad. Perfect one step imho. Might want to consider an IPA or eraser wipe down to make sure to remove residue oils in m205 , so that there will be no bonding issue with Larry's products. Do you plan to try his new coating?

i just saw his video yesterday of his new coating,
may have to pick up a bottle, havent checked his website to see the cost yet

NLS8520 11-30-2015 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 (Post 2465954)
i just saw his video yesterday of his new coating,
may have to pick up a bottle, havent checked his website to see the cost yet

65 bucks for his coating it lasts 1 year, but he recommends applying ever 6 months. I won't lie its kind of pricey when there are 2-3 years coating for same price or less. Now I bet his coating is very simple to apply which is a huge bonus if you never applied one, and its synergistic with his other products like his sealant and wax etc.

WhiteFRS69 11-30-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLS8520 (Post 2466221)
65 bucks for his coating it lasts 1 year, but he recommends applying ever 6 months. I won't lie its kind of pricey when there are 2-3 years coating for same price or less. Now I bet his coating is very simple to apply which is a huge bonus if you never applied one, and its synergistic with his other products like his sealant and wax etc.

very true

i personally have been using Sonax Polymer set shield
looks and acts very simular to his product,

for $27 a bottle and last 4-6 months

NLS8520 11-30-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 (Post 2466226)
very true

i personally have been using Sonax Polymer set shield
looks and acts very simular to his product,

for $27 a bottle and last 4-6 months

I agree with you and also think Polymer Net Shield is fantastic performance per dollar, it lasts 6 months and acts like a coating in terms of its hydrophobic nature, also seemingly offers real nice protection on vehicles I have used the product on. Sonax are about to finally release a coating in the US in spring of 2016.

drew_kar 12-09-2015 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 (Post 2465331)
105 would take care of that no problem with a yellow foam pad or a mircofiber cutting pad

if you need some step bye step insructions
look into Chemcial guys on Youtube.. they do alot of How To Videos

So you would recommend m105 to take care of the swirls and small water stains? Also, should I use m205 polish on top of that and then apply Larry's product? Or could I get away with just using the m205 polish since it is a new car and compound might be overkill.

NLS8520 12-09-2015 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drew_kar (Post 2475344)
So you would recommend m105 to take care of the swirls and small water stains? Also, should I use m205 polish on top of that and then apply Larry's product? Or could I get away with just using the m205 polish since it is a new car and compound might be overkill.

Pad dependent. M105 on a white pad with a few passes might be all that is needed, with M205 finishing on a black pad. OR M205 on a white/orange pad might be enough to remove the damage, then follow that up with M205 on a gray pad for a finishing polish. M205 has a decent amount of cut for a finishing polish, on softer paint systems it should bring your paint to a level where no compound is needed. A test spot and working with good lighting is probably your best bet to determine what is needed if your looking for 90% or better correction. If you want to make it real easy and one step it, M205 and a white polishing pad 4-6 section passes will get the paint looking probably very nice for 80% of people. Depends on how far you want to take it and how long you want to be out there working on the car. I am hoping this is making sense, feel free to hit me up if any ?. Either way I would strongly advice a thorough water and IPA(look online for cut percentages), or eraser wipe down before applying a coating