Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   best turbo kit - currently Full Race? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110846)

TEAM SCION 09-19-2016 08:35 PM

best turbo kit - currently Full Race?

if price is not an issue, what is the turbo kit that outshines all the rest in terms of fitment, quality components, and performance?

I've scrolled through a lot of the posts and have my opinion (Full Race), but I want to gauge what the consensus is in the current marketplace.

Reliabilty is also important. I'm curious as to which kits are cracking over time at the welds or making nearby components brittle by the exhaust side.

thanks!

VABeachBRZ 09-19-2016 09:30 PM

For price The MAP kit is pretty damn good. But overall I'd say the PTuning kit

Mr.ac 09-19-2016 10:14 PM

Full race and relaiablity? LOL are you 15?

Simi joking aside you can't do both. Full race your looking at replacing the whole engine every 2nd or 3rd race season.

Now, I been working on reading minds for a bit now, is it possible that all you want is the most hp while being safe turbo kit?

CSG Mike 09-19-2016 10:57 PM

Ptuning kit.

Kiske 09-19-2016 11:06 PM

Depends on what you define as best. Everyone is going to have different desires depending on what your wanting in a kit. The turbo itself will play a huge part in deciding which kit to get even if you aren't maxing out the car, having the option to later is nice (without having to replace half the kit)

Some basic info, some may be slightly dated as some companies are still tweaking and updating their kits. Some also might agree (feel free to chime in.) I also don't know everything about a lot of the newer kits so some pro-cons might be missing due to lack of knowledge.

Personally if I had to do it again. Full Blown/MAP or Ptuning (especially this one if I would be tracking more.)

Full Blown,
+great service, LJ is super fast on here.
+4 kit options from quick spool too globs of power
+complete kit with no hacking or removing of your stock parts/bumper beam
+company also has tons of other supporting parts to complement your build
+open dump and reic waste gates options
+lots of owner and forum support
-mounts close to fans so they have had issues with melting them on early kits

Avo,
+low mount, also less engine bay heat soak
+no need for oil pan mod/swap uses the FA20DIT oil Pump
-low on power options
-crap junk journal knock-off turbo

Speed By Design
+cheapest/knock off Greedy
-low power w/o tons of additional add ons.
-require cutting
-quality issues
-fab some parts (weld oil pan fitting and bov... not sure if you still do)
-junk journal bearting turbo with base kit

Revolutions Performance
+complete kit with no cutting
+includes oil pan
+lifetime warranty on all fabricated parts

PTuning
+quality kit with great service
+Time Attack Red Pipes (lol)
+set up for big power
+low center of gravity
-heat reduction/management is fantastic
+development is heavily track focused
-long charge piping compared to other kits)
-high cost
-doesn't include manifold/header (allows you to use any EL header)

Accelerated Performance
+low mount (like the avo kit)
-built and made to order in house

P&L
+quality kit and great service
+globs of power
+100% bolt on, no cutting
-Journal PTE turbo (base kit), the do offer PTE Ball Bearing Turbos and garret turbo upgrades upon request.
-not much feed back, whats here is all positive but, there buyers seem low key. No news is good news I suppose

JDL
+many options for quick spool or power
+UEL manifold option
+lots of turbo options
+/- great quality though, some members have had issues.
+open dump and reic waste gates options
-some cutting/trimming required
-like fullblown some heat soak issues
-some stuff is made-to-order... long wait times

MAPerformance
+quality kit
+lots of options and turbo packages
+short IC piping
-required cutting, or buying their race crash beam

STS
+rear mount (if that is your thing)
-long piping
-loose windshield washer bottle
-dead
-water-cooled BB turbo (no oil)

Crawford
+inconel heat shields are badass
-cutting required
-loose crash beam with large intercooler
-odd IC pipe routing
-you got bank?$$$$

D3PE
-doesn't include a header/manifold for the high cost

Castle Hill Performance
-relatively low power
-all kits built and installed in house

Works
+Carb Complient and Smog Legal
-odd configuration/placement
-low power
-no FMIC

FA20Club/TR3 Performance
-fucking lol

armstrom 09-19-2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2756681)
Full race your looking at replacing the whole engine every 2nd or 3rd race season

I think you misunderstood the post... He's not asking about a race setup, but the turbo kit produced by the company "Full Race". At least I hope you're not suggesting that if you install their kit you will need to replace the entire engine every few years...

-Matt

armstrom 09-20-2016 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 2756707)
Ptuning kit.

Could you elaborate on your suggestion? I would assume you have seen many different kits personally. I myself am trying to figure out what FI direction I want to go. It's proving difficult as there are several turbo vs SC threads (all of which invariably trend toward "not this question again!") so I have avoided asking the question outright.

I lean toward turbo kits since that's what I know (owned a modified MR2 Turbo back in the day) but I haven't seen a single kit that has all the features I want.

Is the PTuning kit any laggier than the front or low mount kits out there?

Mr.ac 09-20-2016 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armstrom (Post 2756741)
I think you misunderstood the post... He's not asking about a race setup, but the turbo kit produced by the company "Full Race". At least I hope you're not suggesting that if you install their kit you will need to replace the entire engine every few years...

-Matt

Ah.....
If that's the case it sounds totally different.
Full race I took it as simi pro/ pro cup. You know, full on race.
If it's just the name, Then shit. My bad. Shitty name though.

CSG Mike 09-20-2016 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armstrom (Post 2756745)
Could you elaborate on your suggestion? I would assume you have seen many different kits personally. I myself am trying to figure out what FI direction I want to go. It's proving difficult as there are several turbo vs SC threads (all of which invariably trend toward "not this question again!") so I have avoided asking the question outright.

I lean toward turbo kits since that's what I know (owned a modified MR2 Turbo back in the day) but I haven't seen a single kit that has all the features I want.

Nearly every kit available for this car, will spool faster than your MR2. I think what you really need, is a ride in a boost FRS/BRZ.

I also recommend you do your own research on every kit; you may or may not agree with why I think the ptuning turbo kit is the best one on the market.

- High quality components
- fairly high reliability
- excellent heat management

Yoda 09-20-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by armstrom (Post 2756745)

Go through all the owners threads and you will see why PTuning is above the rest but also cost more. Buy once cry once I say.

Summerwolf 09-20-2016 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2756775)
Ah.....
If that's the case it sounds totally different.
Full race I took it as simi pro/ pro cup. You know, full on race.
If it's just the name, Then shit. My bad. Shitty name though.

You've seriously never heard of Full Race? They have been around as long as import tuning.....

They got banned from the site when they developed their kit and most people think it is overpriced. I think Velox works with them currently and is a distributor? :iono:

GSpeed 09-20-2016 10:21 AM

Yeah, Full Race is legit. They don't mess around.

I'm surprised the Edelbrock E-Force kit isn't on anyone's list here. Do any of those other kits come with a warranty?

armstrom 09-20-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSpeed (Post 2756936)
Yeah, Full Race is legit. They don't mess around.

I'm surprised the Edelbrock E-Force kit isn't on anyone's list here. Do any of those other kits come with a warranty?

The question in this thread was specifically about turbos... but yeah, the e-force kit is a compelling option.
-Matt

armstrom 09-20-2016 10:49 AM

Another one to consider: Treadstone
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+the+FRS%2FBRZ