Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smashed bumper. Will insurance pay for my '13-16 conversion? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137851)

cyde01 11-20-2019 06:33 PM

Smashed bumper. Will insurance pay for my '13-16 conversion?

1 Attachment(s)
Edit: just to clarify I'm not expecting insurance to pay for a full conversion. I'm just wondering if they'll be ok with getting me a zenki type front bumper to replace my tore up kouki front bumper.

Sadly, my immaculate condition '18 moonslate gray 86 is no longer immaculate. I ran into a cone lying sideways in the middle of the freeway going 70. There was just enough traffic for me to not notice it until far too late, and due to rainy conditions didn't want to swerve.

Front bumper is toast. The under panel and inner fender liner on the driver's side is completely gone. But if I'm gonna have to replace it anyway, I thought I might as well go for a zenki front bumper conversion.

Would it be possible to do this through insurance? Will it not work because the paint wasn't offered that year, or the part numbers don't match? I know the wiring harness wouldn't match but I could try to find a solution for that on my own. Anyone with knowledge of insurance companies who can shed some light on this?

Grady 11-20-2019 06:46 PM

Insurance will not pay for the conversion. You can however get an estimate of repairs, have them cut you a check and do what you want. May cost more may cost less. just make sure you take pictures after the repair so you can prove it was repaired later if it gets damaged again.

humfrz 11-20-2019 06:53 PM

Well, that's a shame - :(

I suggest you call your insurance carrier and ask them.

humfrz

soundman98 11-20-2019 09:16 PM

make your intent clear to the adjuster. some might work with you, some might not.

Clutch Dog 11-20-2019 11:10 PM

and so it begins. the era of kouki to zenki conversions..

(says the guy who did a zenki to kouki update)

Clutch Dog 11-20-2019 11:12 PM

So I guess this applies here

Im not sure about the insurance company replacing the bumper with a pre 13-16 bumper

BUT i know the people doing the work dont mind as long as they get their cut
I had some body work done to my charger, and it rquired a paint job and blending. I asked the guy if he could paint a lip and wing at the same time to color match it and fix some other minor scuffs and whatnot. he said insurance would only cover XXX and if i paid them YYY (under the table... cough) they would take care of it all.
so you might be able to get insurance to cover repairs and supply the painters with the bumper of your choosing. the rest you could do in house.

its just headlamp brackets I believe

cyde01 11-20-2019 11:39 PM

Yeah, it should be an easy install. I will have to figure out how to wire the wiring harness so that the turn signal works in both the headlight housing and the bumper.

Clutch Dog 11-21-2019 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyde01 (Post 3277191)
Yeah, it should be an easy install. I will have to figure out how to wire the wiring harness so that the turn signal works in both the headlight housing and the bumper.

the wiring harness just needs a jumper. take the hot wire in for the turn signal and run a spare one down. uses a standard connector pin, and then grab a plug off a totalled FRS and repin the connector to plug in. or dont run a turn indicator to the bumper and leave it as is

when i had vland headlamps with turn signals my frs turn signal on the bumper i left empty. was looking for a delete trim piece

ZionsWrath 11-21-2019 05:29 AM

First I would let them tear it down to look for further damage. It looks like there might be damage to your fender and headlight that you can't tell without a teardown. Those parts are not particularly cheap.

After that I think it entirely depends on the shop you choose. Some would be willing to do stuff not on the insurance bill and some don't care as long as they get paid.

Speak with both parties and make your intent clear so there is no confusion.

Also, depending how your insurance classifies this incident it may affect your policy negatively.

p1l0t 11-21-2019 07:35 AM

In CT (not sure about your state) you can request a check for the estimate direct to you it doesn't have to go a shop. Might cover half of what you are going for... maybe all if you do your own labor.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

tobin 11-21-2019 09:56 AM

Go to a reputable body shop first and tell them what you'd like to accomplish; I'm sure they'll be able to make it happen without you having to dip into your own funds.

HaXx 11-21-2019 10:49 AM

so ive done alot of dealing with insurance. crashed a lot of motorcycles. but the proess is still the same. take it to a shop to get an estimate to get it put back the way it was. isnsurance will come and speak directly to the shop, and ok it all. then i would call the shop after the insurance adjuster oks everything and sends a check to the shop. all insurance cares about is giving you as little money as possible, they dont care if you want a different bubper, they just want to cut you the check and be done with you, what you buy with the money is up to you.