Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Release series 1.0, is it a good deal? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115680)

Saab2Frs 02-17-2017 10:34 AM

Release series 1.0, is it a good deal?

Hey all,

Looking to get back into a FRS and found a release series 1.0 nearby for 19.9. Tried to talk them down to 18.5 because it is missing the lip spoiler, but was told they will replace the part (which is 2k +) and keep the car at 19.9. If I put a deposit on the car they will get the part replaced ASAP so I can pick it up. I plan to go look at the car, but it is 100 miles away so I'm trying to decide if 19.9 is a good deal. A quick search on cars.com show the price of the car anywhere from 17k private sale to 25k.

To me, 19.9k looks like the average. What do you all think? Carfax looks clean even though the salesman disclosed that they do sell a lot of manufacturer's buybacks. Sounds shady, but whatever. Carfax says clean title, no accidents, and only oil changes needed to be done.

I'm also cross shopping a club spec NC Miata with a hard top for the same money and same MY.

Summerwolf 02-17-2017 10:41 AM

They don't understand the cost of the original splitter most likely and are just saying that to get you in the door.

You have to make the decision if it is worth it to you, but there are a ton of good deals out there. You didn't mention vehicle mileage but I'd expect low teens in the mileage for that price.

It is also regional specific, so to get a good deal sometimes you have to be willing to travel.

Saab2Frs 02-17-2017 10:45 AM

Sorry, yeah, 13k miles. I was on the phone with them. I said "I called toyota and they told me the splitter is 2k before tax and installation."

Does the splitter come pre-painted or will it need to be sprayed?

Saab2Frs 02-17-2017 10:45 AM

Also, there arent too many out there right now...

BWilky 02-17-2017 10:49 AM

Sounds fair, a know some regular FRS and BRZ prices are lower, but this was a special edition and worth it just for the color and quad tip exhaust, upgraded interior and body kit.

Summerwolf 02-17-2017 10:49 AM

If you're stuck on an RS 1.0 then that is definitely a decision to make. Recently there was one up for sale with the whole bodykit removed that was being discussed on the forum and a lot of good information was passed along.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2849298

Clee 02-17-2017 10:53 AM

i don't see anything special about the RS 1.0 series. Eventually you will want to fix it up and do a different look. IMO I would just get a "regular" frs and fix it even better. "Built not bought". Then again, If you want to feel special, then at any price it'll be worth it.

Summerwolf 02-17-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clee (Post 2854900)
i don't see anything special about the RS 1.0 series. Eventually you will want to fix it up and do a different look. IMO I would just get a "regular" frs and fix it even better. "Built not bought". Then again, If you want to feel special, then at any price it'll be worth it.

Wow..... I mean it comes with special headlights and interior appointments as well, lol. Starting with the best base to begin with is always a good option.

Saab2Frs 02-17-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

I wont have the money to fix it up for several years so buying something with some of that stuff done already is a plus. The reason I ask if it is a good deal is this: we all want the best deal possible when buying a car.

funwheeldrive 02-17-2017 11:04 AM

Quote:

Um, it's a unique color that you won't find on any other 86 in the States.

That alone makes it special, don't you think?

Clee 02-17-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saab2Frs (Post 2854906)
I wont have the money to fix it up for several years so buying something with some of that stuff done already is a plus. The reason I ask if it is a good deal is this: we all want the best deal possible when buying a car.

ahh I see.. well with 13k miles IMO for 19.9k is worth it. maybe you can bargain a little haha. make sure to do a good inspection and it has all the OEM RS 1.0 parts.

Clee 02-17-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 2854911)
Um, it's a unique color that you won't find on any other 86 in the States.

That alone makes it special, don't you think?

well its not like you can't do a wrap or customized paint?

funwheeldrive 02-17-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clee (Post 2854913)
well its not like you can't do a wrap or customized paint?

So you think buying a base FRS and then adding thousands of dollars in parts (headlights, seats, push start) along with a complete custom paint job is the better route to take?

After all that you would have over 10k dumped into the car and that's not including any kind of performance modifications. Not everyone has that kind of money to burn on a relatively new car.

krayzie 02-17-2017 11:30 AM

I would take the NC Miata Club Edition over the RS 1.0 if it is in similar condition/mileage and comes with a power hardtop and Bilstein shocks, but then I'm not really a fan of steering wheel controls.