Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electric power steering (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952)

madfast 10-06-2011 04:53 PM

Electric power steering

Ok so from this pic
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...n/e63e7a4a.jpg
we can see that the FT will have EPS. my immediate reaction is :thumbdown: , of course, but then...

https://docs.google.com/viewer?pid=b...mber=17&w=2000
it turns out the LF-A has column mounted electric power steering! conventionally, column mounted has the worst feel over pinion mounted and rack mounted, but the LF-A has great steering feel!!! THIS is why you have a halo car. THIS is why the LF-A costs so much. they've managed to make electric power steering great. so all those hours spent tuning the steering? it trickles down into $20k cars like the FT, hopefully :thumbup:

so what does all this mean? it means toyota knows how to make EPS great. sure a corolla or yaris isnt going to have similar steering feel/EPS tuning, but the FT was made with the same sporting intentions as the LF-A. it's supposed to be a bac to basics kinda car with as little intervention as possible. what better steering system to emulate? it would not surprise me if the steering of this car turns out to be LF-A good. and for an EPS system? that is HIGH praise...

Kiwi 10-06-2011 06:21 PM

The column mounted EPS was also one of my main concerns about this car.

I've never realized that the LFA also uses the same type of EPS system, but if Toyota can do it then lets hope they also do the same with the FT86. :clap:

chulooz 10-06-2011 11:29 PM

Are you sure the power steering is done by toyota? Subaru also makes an EAPS system.

70NYD 10-07-2011 06:41 AM

My RX8 has electric power steering, it feels great.. This is different to drive by wire ;)

Random_Art 10-07-2011 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
As long as we're talking about the steering system, this is a patent that was published last week assigned to Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru.) As with many patents, it tends to be rather vague as to what vehicle it goes to. That in mind, it describes a system for mechanical steering.

Quote from the first page:
"Moreover, since the steering gear ratio can be changed mechanically without performing motor control, the occurrence of control delay can be prevented, thereby reliably preventing deterioration of the driver's operational feel"

So whatever car this system is going on, it seems like they really want road feedback and driver experience to be key. Which, seems to be what they've been saying all along for the FR-S/BRZ/Whatever.

Random_Art 10-07-2011 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's another patent from Fuji Heavy Industries describing an electric power steering unit published back in July.

madfast 10-07-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Art (Post 62699)
As long as we're talking about the steering system, this is a patent that was published last week assigned to Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru.) As with many patents, it tends to be rather vague as to what vehicle it goes to. That in mind, it describes a system for mechanical steering.

Quote from the first page:
"Moreover, since the steering gear ratio can be changed mechanically without performing motor control, the occurrence of control delay can be prevented, thereby reliably preventing deterioration of the driver's operational feel"

So whatever car this system is going on, it seems like they really want road feedback and driver experience to be key. Which, seems to be what they've been saying all along for the FR-S/BRZ/Whatever.

i dunno how i feel about variable steering ratios. BMW's active steering hasnt been such a hit. i have a feeling this patent isnt for this car. steering is absolutely important in this back to basics car. variable ratio is not necessary. i personally want it quick all the time ;)

Spaceywilly 10-07-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70NYD (Post 62693)
My RX8 has electric power steering, it feels great.. This is different to drive by wire ;)

RX8 uses rack mounted EPS. This is column mounted, which is known for having terrible feel.

Dave-ROR 10-07-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 62703)
i dunno how i feel about variable steering ratios. BMW's active steering hasnt been such a hit. i have a feeling this patent isnt for this car. steering is absolutely important in this back to basics car. variable ratio is not necessary. i personally want it quick all the time ;)

I dunno, I'd rather have a mechanical power steering system with variable ratio over a column mounted EPS system any day of the week. How would column mounted EPS be more "back to the basics" than mechanical, regardless of variable steering ratios or not.

As long as the variable steering is quick for all but the very extremes of wheel angles (yes I'd prefer non variable as well, but in this world of EPS systems I'd love ANY mech system instead!) then I think it'll be great to have the system that patent is for... and it does seem like a potentially good sign that the patent seems focused on driver involvement, exactly what Toyota and Subaru say this car was designed for.

Random_Art 10-07-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 62708)
I dunno, I'd rather have a mechanical power steering system with variable ratio over a column mounted EPS system any day of the week. How would column mounted EPS be more "back to the basics" than mechanical, regardless of variable steering ratios or not.

As long as the variable steering is quick for all but the very extremes of wheel angles (yes I'd prefer non variable as well, but in this world of EPS systems I'd love ANY mech system instead!) then I think it'll be great to have the system that patent is for... and it does seem like a potentially good sign that the patent seems focused on driver involvement, exactly what Toyota and Subaru say this car was designed for.

I, too, would rather have the mechanical steering. I've driven a few new cars that had electric power steering, and every single one felt dead to the road. Personally, I miss how much feedback I got from my Celica.

But, on the other hand, I don't want the system to be so mechanically stupid as to be almost impossible to turn the wheel when the car is stationary. It was a workout to wrestle with the wheel in my old Toyota pickup.

madfast 10-07-2011 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 62708)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Art (Post 62710)
I, too, would rather have the mechanical steering. I've driven a few new cars that had electric power steering, and every single one felt dead to the road. Personally, I miss how much feedback I got from my Celica.

But, on the other hand, I don't want the system to be so mechanically stupid as to be almost impossible to turn the wheel when the car is stationary. It was a workout to wrestle with the wheel in my old Toyota pickup.

there's no point in talking about mechanical steering. it looks like 99.999% chance that it's EPS. fwiw the new 991 porsche 911 has EPS so its a sign of the times. Im just glad and optimistic that toyota has shown that they can make a column mounted EPS that doesnt outright suck.

Dave-ROR 10-07-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 62713)
there's no point in talking about mechanical steering. it looks like 99.999% chance that it's EPS. fwiw the new 991 porsche 911 has EPS so its a sign of the times. Im just glad and optimistic that toyota has shown that they can make a column mounted EPS that doesnt outright suck.

Well if Subaru just filed a patent now than the rest of us can keep the hope alive that it won't be a POS EPS system :)

Kiwi 10-07-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 62713)

I'm pretty sure all or most cars are using mechanical steering as I don't think steer-by-wire is offered right now.

The difference is that the steering is power assisted with electric motors instead of using hydraulic pumps.
All in all this is encouraging news. :)

madfast 10-07-2011 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 62722)
I'm pretty sure all or most cars are using mechanical steering as I don't think steer-by-wire is offered right now.

The difference is that the steering is power assisted with electric motors instead of using hydraulic pumps.
All in all this is encouraging news. :)

in terms of this discussion, it's assumed "mechanical steering" means hydraulic power steering.