Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Clutch replacement (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117153)

pinetree 04-03-2017 01:55 AM

Clutch replacement

Hi,

Having my clutch replaced later this week after having issues with the throw out bearing, and reading through the forums still can't decide which route to go.

Have a BRZ '13, with about 70k miles. Car is N/A, headers, exhaust, intake, tune (OFT). Not sure what power car is pulling, but guessing not much from stock.

Option 1: OEM clutch, stock flywheel resurfaced
Option 2: Exedy stage 1, stock flywheel resurfaced
Option 3: ACT HD street clutch, lighter flywheel
Option 4: Something else?

Help me decide! Car is daily driver, with maybe a few canyon runs a year. Also, it looks like the consensus is to get the Velox clutch fork as well, even with my application is it worth it?

Any advice with this is much appreciated, need all the help I can get. Thanks!

dhuang 04-03-2017 02:20 AM

I went option 3 with the Streetlite flywheel. Also went ahead with the Velox clutch fork and pivot while the transmission was opened up.

My impressions after 3k miles: I'm still getting used to the clutch, it grabs pretty hard which combined with the lightened flywheel makes taking off from a stop tricky for me. I have to rev a bit higher to get her going. Also, consider how much stop-and-go traffic you endure. Sometimes I wish I had the stock setup since it was so easy to drive in stop-and-go traffic.

pinetree 04-03-2017 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhuang (Post 2884234)
I went option 3 with the Streetlite flywheel. Also went ahead with the Velox clutch fork and pivot while the transmission was opened up.

My impressions after 3k miles: I'm still getting used to the clutch, it grabs pretty hard which combined with the lightened flywheel makes taking off from a stop tricky for me. I have to rev a bit higher to get her going. Also, consider how much stop-and-go traffic you endure. Sometimes I wish I had the stock setup since it was so easy to drive in stop-and-go traffic.

Good to know, was debating the pros/cons of lighter flywheels. Since this is my DD it seems stock is better (Unless someone else chimes in). Now to decide if going stage 1 is worth it or just going OEM.

Thanks!

swarb 04-03-2017 02:36 AM

Exedy makes the oem clutch, so they are the same except the markup.

pinetree 04-03-2017 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarb (Post 2884240)
Exedy makes the oem clutch, so they are the same except the markup.

Yeah, was aware Exedy made the OEM parts, just wondering if the upgrade to stage 1 is worth it or not.

Thanks!

humfrz 04-03-2017 10:42 AM

I'd suggest you go with option #1.

If the clutch fork looks OK, why replace it (assuming you're putting back a OEM clutch and flywheel).

humfrz

smg1138 04-03-2017 11:31 AM

My FR-S is just under 60k miles right now and I'm in the exact same situation. My throwout bearing has been making a grinding sound whenever I depress the clutch pedal. Tried to get Toyota to fix it under warranty, but they said clutches aren't covered. I'm torn between the Exedy OEM and Stage 1 clutch kits right now. I often run an E85 Stage 2 tune, so wonder if the extra torque warrants a stronger clutch or not?

Cockatoo 04-03-2017 11:36 AM

If you are NA you dont need a stronger clutch... get OEM replacement and call it a day.

pinetree 04-03-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smg1138 (Post 2884408)
My FR-S is just under 60k miles right now and I'm in the exact same situation. My throwout bearing has been making a grinding sound whenever I depress the clutch pedal. Tried to get Toyota to fix it under warranty, but they said clutches aren't covered. I'm torn between the Exedy OEM and Stage 1 clutch kits right now. I often run an E85 Stage 2 tune, so wonder if the extra torque warrants a stronger clutch or not?

Exactly, seems even with slight increase in power/torque with bolt on parts and tune, OEM seems to handle the job which is great.

However, does stage 1 have its merits and worthy upgrade or pointless unless you go boosted?

Been reading the forums all night, still can't decide lol

churchx 04-03-2017 12:33 PM

Unless it's this NA :)

pinetree 04-03-2017 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchx (Post 2884440)

I think we wish we all had that engine...lol

mav1178 04-03-2017 01:38 PM

If you're not going to clutch kick all day (i.e. drifting), OEM is plenty fine for your needs.

Clutch fork is only a need if you have upgraded pressure plate.

smg1138 04-03-2017 01:55 PM

Anybody know if the throwout bearing is the same between the Exedy OEM and Stage 1 kits? I seem to remember reading somewhere the Stage 1 had a higher quality bearing. Dropping the transmission is going to be a PITA, so I don't want to do this again for a long time.

Cockatoo 04-03-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchx (Post 2884440)

That thing actually only makes 197lb ft torque... OEM could handle it no problem...

Surprisingly, I'm boosted with almost 240wtq and my low miles OEM clutch is doing fine... wont last forever obviously