Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Timing Cover Oil Leak (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99431)

Keenercarguy 12-30-2015 04:34 PM

Timing Cover Oil Leak

So my 2013 BRZ Limited (49,000 miles) is on its third oil leak from the timing cover, the first one happened a while ago. It was fine to drive on for thousands of miles (I was driving a 12,000 mile road trip when it popped up). I returned from the trip and immediately got it fixed at my local dealership (none had time to fix it at any of my stops across the USA and Canada). Within a few months it was back! I dropped it off at the beginning of December and had it fixed again (all under warranty thankfully) and then I drove it literally a quarter tank of gas, stopped to top off my fuel, and checked the engine bay. It was leaking again within 80 miles and I was driving it like a break in period, driving it really calmly with my shift light set to 4500 so I would always remember to be careful.
Long story short, I know others have had this problem, and some have had it keep occurring. Has anyone had any luck fully fixing it after multiple repairs, should I try something different? Should I sell it and buy another? Is there anything as far as recalls that can help my situation? I haven't even had the opportunity to track the car yet!
Thanks for reading! :sigh:

humfrz 12-30-2015 04:56 PM

Well, @Keenercarguy, my FR-S hasn't suffered from that leak (yet).

Are you referring to the cam cover plate or the timing chain cover ... ??

If you referring to the cam plate, my first inclination would be to take the cover off, replace the "O" ring and goop it up with gasket sealer and "uniformly" tighten it down.

My second strategy would be to get an aftermarket piece and give that a go.

If you're referring to the timing chain cover, here is a link for your reference:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73941

I hope you get er fixed.

humfrz

Ultramaroon 12-31-2015 01:09 AM

If the mating surfaces aren't thoroughly cleaned & degreased, it doesn't matter how much goop gets slopped on, it's going to leak.

The devil's in the details.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 12-31-2015 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2495055)
If the mating surfaces aren't thoroughly cleaned & degreased, it doesn't matter how much goop gets slopped on, it's going to leak.

The devil's in the details.

This, as well as making sure they replaced the timing chain cover, Valve covers and rear camshaft caps . I hope they are doing this with the engine out of the car as well. When I first perused the forums this issue resulted in a couple people going lemon law to get a new car....

humfrz 01-01-2016 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenercarguy (Post 2494690)
So my 2013 BRZ Limited (49,000 miles) is on its third oil leak from the timing cover, ............
Thanks for reading! :sigh:

So, @Keenercarguy, shake off your hangover and let us know what the verdict is ...... ;)

humfrz

Keenercarguy 01-01-2016 11:25 PM

Well I got my wisdom teeth out a few days ago so I actually pick it up tomorrow. They do take the engine out for it and they were very careful the first time they fixed it (at least I think, they had it for almost two whole weeks). I'm going to break it in again slowly once i pick it up and i'll try to report back after the first couple days/ first few hundred miles. If they don't fix it this time then they have 1 last chance before lemon laws apy in my state. And hopefully just the threat of that will be enough to make them go overboard with the fix next time. IF it persists. I'll update this thread as soon as I know more!
Oh! And it's the timing chain cover by the way. Not the back of the engine like The issues of some others. This area isn't even under pressure! The oil is just seeping out slowly and it's ridiculous.

humfrz 01-02-2016 01:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenercarguy (Post 2496242)
Well I got my wisdom teeth out a few days ago so I actually pick it up tomorrow. .........

OUCH! ...... wisdom teeth removal. Mine were taken out by a dentist in the Army ..... he was pissed because he was drafted ......and for some reason, he thought it was my fault ..... :paddle:

It's my understanding that there isn't a gasket, it's sealed by sealant only.

Now, what could possibly go wrong with trying to pry an aluminum cover off an aluminum block (sealed with sealant) ....... with a steel crowbar ...... :popcorn:

Well, let's hope they get the leak fixed this time.

humfrz

Keenercarguy 01-02-2016 12:39 PM

Yes, it's not a gasket, just a sealant. Every time they fix it they actually use a heavier duty Fuji HI sealant than the original seal... And yet it still leaks. They're BAFFLED, which is always reassuring. Picked it up and drove it home this morning, no oil... Yet.

humfrz 01-02-2016 03:25 PM

Well, let's hope it's fixed ......:)

humfrz

Keenercarguy 01-02-2016 09:31 PM

100 mile update: it's leaking again. Worse.

gravitylover 01-02-2016 09:42 PM

uggh

aegisdrgn 01-02-2016 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenercarguy (Post 2496793)

damn dude, you have my sympathies...:eyebulge:

FRSBRZGT86FAN 01-02-2016 11:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegisdrgn (Post 2496824)
damn dude, you have my sympathies...:eyebulge:

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravitylover (Post 2496796)
uggh

I would be utterly depressed if this kept happening that's kind of annoying you should take it back one more time and request a tear down and reseal.

JonAvalon 01-02-2016 11:53 PM

Quote:

Damn sorry to hear, they must be doing something wrong. Any chance you can try another dealer?

I had mine fixed about 10K miles ago, *knock on wood* so far it's been doing well. But dang I'd hate for it to leak again soon. We are at the same amount of miles as well.