Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Coolant Temps Running High (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33367)

Dezoris 04-10-2013 11:53 PM

Coolant Temps Running High

I have asked and everyone seems to say "have not seen an issue".
But, so far in the testing I have been doing the coolant temps on this car run high, don't know if it is a subaru thing or just my car.

But the dash gauge is not showing any movement yet when hooked into OBD2 I am seeing idle temps as high as 217F autox and track also showing peaks of 220.

I first noticed this on baseline dyno testing where the engine was constantly pulling timing because of coolant temp.

Can some of you autox and track guys run an OBD2 check on yours?
Keep in mind the temp gauge in the car does not move from middle whether its 190 to 220.

orthojoe 04-11-2013 12:01 AM

Did a track day at Laguna Seca and my peak logged ECT was 196F. Most of the time the car was in the 180s. My car is totally stock.

swift996 04-11-2013 08:49 AM

I haven't tracked my car but I haven't observed anything over 192F.

Is there anything blocking airflow? How old is the coolant/still OEM?

Guillaume 04-11-2013 09:30 AM

I observed just that while stuck in traffic this morning...

Water temp would go up until approx. 212F, then start falling quickly to the "normal" 194F. It then starts to climb up again and the cycle continues.

Is it some sort of cooling issue or just poor regulation?

celica73 04-11-2013 10:44 AM

At the track this past weekend I never saw over 201 deg (70 deg and sunny air temps). My top speed on the main straight was very consistent between laps.

My engine is 100% stock, I was running 0W30 German Castrol, 93 Octane pump gas (probably 10% ethanol).

Dezoris 04-11-2013 10:47 AM

its a stock car no issues with blocked radiator. i need to check service manual and see when radiator fans are triggered. issue being, if its already higher, when I go and throw an intercooler and oil cooler its going to get worse.

sw20kosh 04-11-2013 10:54 AM

It is already established that a thicker radiator is absolutely necessary when you meet these two criteria:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car

You can check out the Tuned episode on YouTube where they track test team VCMC's turbo frs. Full blown offers a new radiator as an addon. Robispec has a radiator + oil cooler all in one package.

Huehuecoyotl 04-11-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 857503)
It is already established that a thicker radiator is absolutely necessary when you meet these two criteria:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car

You can check out the Tuned episode on YouTube where they track test team VCMC's turbo frs. Full blown offers a new radiator as an addon. Robispec has a radiator + oil cooler all in one package.

where has this been established, sorry I must have missed the thread

I have FI, I track my car, I am on an OE rad, will share log data as I collect more

I'm on Vortech, so that may be different than TC or other SCs

All I have is a perrin oil cooler and small 5" fan to track in triple digit heat. You may be right , and data may prove otherwise, but I have yet to get there. What did I miss?
gem

johhnc479 04-11-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car

Thicker than what? Plenty of cars out there tracked on stock cooling without issue. Never mind, I think I misread FI as fuel injection, not forced induction.

CSG Mike 04-11-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl (Post 857513)
where has this been established, sorry I must have missed the thread

I have FI, I track my car, I am on an OE rad, will share log data as I collect more

I'm on Vortech, so that may be different than TC or other SCs

All I have is a perrin oil cooler and small 5" fan to track in triple digit heat. You may be right , and data may prove otherwise, but I have yet to get there. What did I miss?
gem

Are you logging WOT time and fuel consumption? Only reason I ask is that I'm assuming that you may not be as experienced as the faster guys here. Some of these guys have 15+ years of experience...

Huehuecoyotl 04-11-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 857624)
Are you logging WOT time and fuel consumption? Only reason I ask is that I'm assuming that you may not be as experienced as the faster guys here. Some of these guys have 15+ years of experience...

sorry what does my speed, or logging WOT and fuel have to do with establishing coolant temps baselines? also not sure where experience comes in, noob or not, a hot running car needs more radiator, same with the 15 yr experienced drivers car

a car not running hot wont benefit a bigger rad, was all I was getting at
its easy to say FI=get a bigger rad, but where is the coolant data saying so?
I have yet to generate my own, so thats why I asked

So I will run some logs and keep an eye on water-I think I am asking here-not making a fact,just not sure on the verdict here myself on 'needing a radiator'

I am sure, I WANT one, however!!!!

CSG Mike 04-11-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl (Post 857656)
sorry what does my speed, or logging WOT and fuel have to do with establishing coolant temps baselines? also not sure where experience comes in, noob or not, a hot running car needs more radiator, same with the 15 yr experienced drivers car

a car not running hot wont benefit a bigger rad, was all I was getting at
its easy to say FI=get a bigger rad, but where is the coolant data saying so?
I have yet to generate my own, so thats why I asked

So I will run some logs and keep an eye on water-I think I am asking here-not making a fact,just not sure on the verdict here myself on 'needing a radiator'

I am sure, I WANT one, however!!!!

More fuel burnt = more heat to dissipate. A more experienced driver will spend more time on the gas pedal, burning more fuel, which generates more heat that needs to be dissipated.

This is, assuming, all other conditions are equal (cars, distance/time driven, etc.).

What I'm getting at is that a faster driver will overheat a car that generates less heat at peak output, while a less experienced driver may not have any heat issues in a car that actually generates more heat at peak output, because they TOTAL heat output generated by the less experienced driver a smaller amount.

As a baseline, our car averages around 3.7-4.9 MPG on track, depending on the track, with a 100% stock drivetrain.

orthojoe 04-11-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

A. You have FI
B. You track your car

O'rlly? Do you mean both criteria need to be met, or just one? I would agree if BOTH are met. The jury is still out out if it is only one.

orthojoe 04-11-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 857713)
More fuel burnt = more heat to dissipate. A more experienced driver will spend more time on the gas pedal, burning more fuel, which generates more heat that needs to be dissipated.

This is, assuming, all other conditions are equal (cars, distance/time driven, etc.).

What I'm getting at is that a faster driver will overheat a car that generates less heat at peak output, while a less experienced driver may not have any heat issues in a car that actually generates more heat at peak output, because they TOTAL heat output generated by the less experienced driver a smaller amount.

As a baseline, our car averages around 3.7-4.9 MPG on track, depending on the track, with a 100% stock drivetrain.

Yuppers. You know you're getting better if you're overheating.... unfortunately. If overheat is an established issue with a certain setup, but you haven't overheated yet, then it's only a matter of time.