Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   exhaust and headers upgrade (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136517)

DoubleAKash 08-24-2019 10:26 PM

exhaust and headers upgrade

Hi everyone! So I just purchased a 2019 Subaru BRZ Limited and I'm reaching at 1.5k miles now. I am thinking around 5k to replace the headers and exhaust to get rid of that torgue dip. I do want the boxer rumble, but nothing too loud since I do live in California in the Bay Area (also new the area so I don't know how lenient cops are around this area).

However, I was looking at the FT86 Catted UEL and Corsa Exhaust for the car.

Some things I did have in mind were not getting a CEL light and worrying about that and whether I should get a tune done from a professional shop or if I should go with OFT or EcuTek. Many people have told me to go EcuTek route if I want to do forced induction however, I am not planning on doing that for quite some time.

Wanted some other opinions on doing this to my car. Also, would I have to do exhaust and headers at the same time or can I do exhaust and then headers or vice versa and do a tune a few months down the road.

jflogerzi 08-24-2019 10:41 PM

Catback does not require tune. You can do this at anytime. Cat or no cat aftermarket headers are illegal. Here is what I would due.

OFT tune
Tomie UEL catless/JDL UEL/ Gruppe-s UEL
Keep stock front pipe and overpipe

Catback options
MXP SP
R400
CSG touring

These would be my top picks.

I would due the header with OFT tablet. See how you like the noise with just a header. From their you can judge how much louder or tone you want.

Hope this helps

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

SamtheKorean 08-24-2019 10:48 PM

It all depends what you want from your car tbh. If you just got the car and your not experienced with fast cars then i would stick with exhaust mods first. In our chassis, only way to get more power is to FI. if you don’t want to go to that route then UEL header with stage 2 tune is probably best for your money. Car parts are expensive and if you have enough money for a tune/oft and a UEL header then yes. if not enough money then just do exhaust first.

I have done catless front pipe and top speed pro 1 axle back. it’s loud enough for me and no drone, best of all i get some loud pops and crackles with my set up.

Steveiam 08-24-2019 11:17 PM

This thread explains more about CEL with catted header and OFT vs EcuTek.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132435

I would have gone header first if I wasn't so determined to go FI lol. I also second MXP SP catback.

RToyo86 08-24-2019 11:45 PM

Get an OFT. If you find one used you can buy/sell without losing money in most cases. You'll get the more out of the header even with an off the shelf tune.

When you decide to go F.I sell the OFT.

Lantanafrs2 08-24-2019 11:50 PM

I would leave exhaust stock. Buy header only. Rest of exhaust is alot of money with little performance gain. Oft will work well as will ecutek. Your choice. E85 will give you max na results.

jflogerzi 08-25-2019 12:30 AM

Original poster... See a common theme developing... Tune+header = bang for buck. NA used oft. Once you go FI then get ecutek.

Granted the best NA performance is ecutek tune plus ACE 350 via DD or now CSG in house tuning. This is big bucks but it will give by far the best NA gains... Cheap and basic FI can destroy this for not alot more than the ace setup. Lots of options. Do your homework and you will make the right decision.

86MLR 08-25-2019 01:12 AM

Cough, decat oem system and Ecutek tune, cough

Grady 08-25-2019 05:03 PM

Don’t waste your money on headers, ESPECIALLY catted headers. The 2017+ exhaust is already good. Just pay for a good tune. Go E85 if you can.

Joveen 08-25-2019 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3251372)
Don’t waste your money on headers, ESPECIALLY catted headers. The 2017+ exhaust is already good. Just pay for a good tune. Go E85 if you can.

Any dyno graphs to back that up?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Grady 08-25-2019 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3251376)

Any dyno graphs to disprove it. :lol:

86MLR 08-25-2019 07:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joveen (Post 3251376)

Punched out 17+ OEM header, 2.5" overpipe, 2.5" resonated front pipe, 2.5" cat back

Then

Replaced cat back to OEM with zero change to performance, knocked down the noise a bit

Then

Replaced 17+ punched out header with Tomei UEL header, zero performance gain, lots more noise though, put OEM header back on because I'm not a **** and care about my neighbors sanity and hearing.

For NA The OEM system flows great once the restrictions are removed.

Joveen 08-25-2019 08:14 PM

Impressive

jflogerzi 08-25-2019 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86MLR (Post 3251398)
Punched out 17+ OEM header, 2.5" overpipe, 2.5" resonated front pipe, 2.5" cat back

Then

Replaced cat back to OEM with zero change to performance, knocked down the noise a bit

Then

Replaced 17+ punched out header with Tomei UEL header, zero performance gain, lots more noise though, put OEM header back on because I'm not a **** and care about my neighbors sanity and hearing.

For NA The OEM system flows great once the restrictions are removed.

Even with the cat punched out... It still cut down on noise? I am very curious about this