Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Dedicated Drift Platform: Toyobaru vs 370Z (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120987)

circuithero 08-04-2017 06:17 PM

Dedicated Drift Platform: Toyobaru vs 370Z

Looking to get an opinion from the collective hive mind here who may have more experience with the platforms specifically for drifting. Being on FT86 I know there is a slight bias but I find you guys are pretty open minded and have seen excellent, well mannered discussion come up when comparing vehicles. I know we have had people switch between the cars both ways. For intent of the compare I am talking pre updated MY17 cars and a sport package 370Z, price of entry being roughly the same. I am aware I can get a cheap E36, weld the diff and skid. Let's say that is not feasible.

The intent of this comparison is purely as a basic/entry/KISS drift platform exclusively. I've owned a 2013 FRS and G35 back to back so I am familiar with the FRS's steering feel and weight advantage. I am not as familiar with the updated 370Z platform. Also have 4+ years of tracking, instructing experience but no direct drifting experience except catching oversteer on track/autox. The idea is to have something to maximize seat time on while minimizing wrench time. So basic mods for consistent and reliable skids. #Learning

FRS/BRZ:
  • Header/Tune
  • Coilovers
  • Tie Rods
  • RLCA
  • Remove front sway bar
PROS: Cars are lower weight, which means less consumables cost and easier transitions. Steering feel is superior and so is the seating position. Also the stock differential is sufficient which means this can be left alone.

CONS: Lack of power is not the best, I have gotten accustomed to having some torque. This also makes adjusting line and initiating a bit more difficult (IMO, from my 2013 Scion FRS experience) on throttle. Have to throw the car at speed, not enough power in the higher speed stuff or a bunch of clutch kicking. I have read also in the drifting thread this can cause some issues in tandems. My fear here would be as I have some background with high performance driving, I would outgrow the stock power and be tempted to go with boost. Which is $$$ and I am not interested in going down that path again. Been there done that.

370Z:
  • Coilovers
  • 2 Way Diff (VLSD is useless for consistency sake)
  • Tie Rods
  • Oil Cooler (Apparently they run hotter than 350Z?)
  • Anything else? Not as familiar with this platform...
PROS: Stock power and torque is enough for any drifting I would like to do/learn. No need to upgrade engine and compromise reliability, not something I see outgrowing power wise. I like the engine note a bit better and the aesthetics slightly more.

CONS: Consumables will be more because of weight. A bit more of a pig and opposite of the PROS for the FRS.

Thoughts/feedback from our drifters here?

TylerLieberman 08-09-2017 01:13 PM

FRS

I never cared for the Z. Feels like a pig in comparison. Numb, dull, slow to rotate, etc. I also personally hate the sound of the VQ engine. But that's subjective.

The lack of torque and steering angle are the only downsides to the FRS in my opinion. Both are easily fixed though.

With headers and tune, there is ample power to use 4th gear in drifting. I was doing tracks with 4th gear entries when my FRS was stock power. If there's too much grip, just increase the rear tire pressure.

Tandem is also easy with the FRS, especially when you have the extra angle and power. Remove ABS fuse so you can left foot brake in chase without having the LSD braking kicks in and causes you to drop out of the powerband. You'll run a bit of a shallow line and angle to chase higher powered cars, but it's still more than capable. I ran door to door with a 500hp 1JZ ProAm car with a stock powered FRS. I had to run shallow line and angle to stay close, but I could still do it.

The lower power and lower weight also comes with lower running costs. Less fuel and tire consumption means it's less cost to drive, which means easier to get more seat time... and that's what matters most.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o4xBhq9FJg&t=14s"]FRS Drift Compilation - YouTube[/ame]

^This is from when I had mine. All the clips in the video are from the first 6 months of ownership with my car back in 2013. Stock power and stock steering angle. Just coilovers, LCAs, and an axleback exhaust. There's some tandem in there too.

Teseo 08-10-2017 08:53 AM

No eurobeat? Shame on you

TylerLieberman 08-10-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teseo (Post 2959922)
No eurobeat? Shame on you

I actually had some eurobeat blasting in the car at a bunch of events lol. It's awesome sitting there on grid with the windows up and the A/C & stereo blasting, while everybody else in their old cars have to sit there with their windows down and doors open just to get some fresh air and keep from dying in the heat.

New cars rock.

circuithero 08-10-2017 11:04 AM

Great feedback, thanks Tyler. I just read your large post on your build thread for getting the car drift ready. A lot of good information there. Much appreciated!

TylerLieberman 08-10-2017 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by circuithero (Post 2959974)
Great feedback, thanks Tyler. I just read your large post on your build thread for getting the car drift ready. A lot of good information there. Much appreciated!

Thanks. Glad you found it helpful.

It was a bunch of info I had compiled through personal experience with my own car, as well as what friends of mine had discovered through their own experiences.

Twin4Life 10-04-2017 05:34 PM

I havent logged on in months, serious personal life issues that sucks the life out you. Putting real tires on the 86 throws off the friendly demeanor it has stock. I dont think youll be doing much credible drifting should you go that route.

~el~jefe~ 10-11-2017 01:40 PM

the 370Z is a much better car to have fun with drifting. Just start it up and drift as is. Power is key to drifting, power and rear wheel drive is all there is. The BRZ can drift but really does not have to as it has an actual sports car, low center of gravity build. To drift in the BRZ/FRS one has to push up the power. Putting 18" 235+ sticky tires makes it not driftable without a big bump in torque. I would never get a FRS for drifting unless I desired to put forced induction on it.

ST185RC 10-11-2017 03:16 PM

Both under the same driver skill and stock for stock:

torque in the 370z will make drifting easier.

skill in the 86 will make drifting more rewarding.

Tcoat 10-11-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ (Post 2990545)
the 370Z is a much better car to have fun with drifting. Just start it up and drift as is. Power is key to drifting, power and rear wheel drive is all there is. The BRZ can drift but really does not have to as it has an actual sports car, low center of gravity build. To drift in the BRZ/FRS one has to push up the power. Putting 18" 235+ sticky tires makes it not driftable without a big bump in torque. I would never get a FRS for drifting unless I desired to put forced induction on it.

I disagree with most of this. Weight, balance and control play a much greater part in drifting than just raw power. In fact high power is probably the least important part of a drift car. A 370Z is actually harder to drift since the weight makes it harder to control.

These are not powerful cars:
https://media.giphy.com/media/ErIP6WHxI6avC/giphy.gif

Tcoat 10-11-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST185RC (Post 2990607)
Both under the same driver skill and stock for stock:

torque in the 370z will make drifting easier.

skill in the 86 will make drifting more rewarding.

Torque will make initiating the drift easier. Controlling it is a whole different matter.

ST185RC 10-11-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2990622)
Torque will make initiating the drift easier. Controlling it is a whole different matter.

I agree. I've done a bit in both and I can say that loading the springs in the 370z is much less forgiving than loading the spring in the FRS thanks to a few hundred extra pounds.

I still find the 370z easier to maintain a slide thanks to the torque, which is why I say the FRS is still more rewarding to get sideways.

chaoskaze 10-11-2017 05:13 PM

Quote:

Power is key to drifting

:slap:

ST185RC 10-11-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

How much power and torque do you reckon these guys have to drift / power slide with?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5AZ8yYHNts"]best drift on bicycle combination - YouTube[/ame]

The guy at 1:20 is keeping a mad drift going yo.