Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Import cost of Toyota GT-86? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4080)

west2k95 03-07-2012 05:03 AM

Import cost of Toyota GT-86?

I am very curious of how much it would cost to import a toyota gt from japan? What are the fees and charges in doing so? If anyone has had experience buying and importing a car to American internationally, what were the cost for you?
I know there isn't an official pricing for the car, that is why i just want to know the shipping cost.

Thanks in advance!

Dark 03-07-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west2k95 (Post 150961)
I am very curious of how much it would cost to import a toyota gt from japan? What are the fees and charges in doing so? If anyone has had experience buying and importing a car to American internationally, what were the cost for you?
I know there isn't an official pricing for the car, that is why i just want to know the shipping cost.

Thanks in advance!

Why would you want to import it? You want taht HID and other features lack in FR-S?

FRSfan111 03-07-2012 05:31 AM

RHD its JDM yo!!

Levi 03-07-2012 07:23 AM

^ Your sig is so huge! :D

FRSDREAMER 03-07-2012 07:31 AM

Just debadge an FRS, and add Daytime running lights, fog lights, and a spoiler.

It would be too much of a hassle, trying to get this vehicle exported to the US.

zigzagz94 03-07-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSDREAMER (Post 150998)
Just debadge an FRS, and add Daytime running lights, fog lights, and a spoiler.

It would be too much of a hassle, trying to get this vehicle exported to the US.

Or if you just want the center console, hvac, push start...just buy a limited BRZ and swap fron't ends with an FR-S. I'm sure shortly after release there will be tons of threads like "guys just crashed my Scion" so it won't be too long of a wait to find a FR-S front clip.

Draco-REX 03-07-2012 11:44 AM

The fender badges are the same, just not the make/model badges. The car is the same mechanically. Maybe the bumper beams would be different, but that's about it.

I don't think Scion has released the options list yet. So the HIDs and fogs might be available.

The only thing that's truly different from a JDM FT would be RHD. But that's just silly.

SVTSHC 03-07-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draco-REX (Post 151109)
The fender badges are the same, just not the make/model badges. The car is the same mechanically. Maybe the bumper beams would be different, but that's about it.

I don't think Scion has released the options list yet. So the HIDs and fogs might be available.

The only thing that's truly different from a JDM FT would be RHD. But that's just silly.

But why wouldn't you want to make drive thru's, toll boothes and the sort a hassle?! It just sounds like so much fun :bellyroll:

NemesisPrime909 03-07-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVTSHC (Post 151144)
But why wouldn't you want to make drive thru's, toll boothes and the sort a hassle?! It just sounds like so much fun :bellyroll:

lol there are a few remedies for these situtations

Drive-Tru's

- drive through it backwards (not recommended)
-Park and order your food inside, avoiding the drive true all together (recommended)

Toll Booths
-get a pike pass

All that said...

if you don't care about RHD and still want a GT-86, buy a BRZ and swap the JDM headlights, badges, bumper, and steering wheel, and there you go

A LOT CHEAPER THAN IMPORTING

but thene there are those who want to be "authentic."

in which case it would be easier to get one from the UK.

Dimman 03-07-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NemesisPrime909 (Post 151163)
lol there are a few remedies for these situtations

Drive-Tru's

- drive through it backwards (not recommended)
-Park and order your food inside, avoiding the drive true all together (recommended)

Toll Booths
-get a pike pass

All that said...

if you don't care about RHD and still want a GT-86, buy a BRZ and swap the JDM headlights, badges, bumper, and steering wheel, and there you go

A LOT CHEAPER THAN IMPORTING

but thene there are those who want to be "authentic."

in which case it would be easier to get one from the UK.

There is also the passing slow cars on a 2 lane highway issue, and turning left at intersections. Plus my pet peeve, hitting the wipers when changing lanes because you forget the wiper and turn signal stalks are reversed...

RHD, annoying. Stupid if you have an equivalent LHD option. Which we will.

Turbowned 03-07-2012 01:18 PM

Can anyone answer his actual question??

dsgerbc 03-07-2012 01:25 PM

^Why? It's a stupid question. It's gonna be several times cheaper to convert a USDM BRZ/FRS, using JDM bumper beams/covers, steering wheels and EDM HIDs. Otherwise you'd probably have to import ten and let NTHSA crash-test nine of those.

RRnold 03-07-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 151167)
Can anyone answer his actual question??

It wouldn't make sense to attempt to import one here and would be damn near impossible, especially since there is a US equivalent. The cost, paperwork and time to make sure it is approved by customs, NHTSA, DOT, DMV, EPA etc would be a huge headache.

I've seen some of the ol skool Japanese cars from 1970 and below imported to the US with less restrictions.

dsgerbc 03-07-2012 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRnold (Post 151183)

I've seen some of the ol skool Japanese cars from 1970 and below imported to the US with less restrictions.

Yeah, anything over 24 years old is a lot easier to import. Anyway, had this on the subject in my bookmarks.