Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I had a serious car accident today, and now what with my BRZ? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134022)

mitama 04-11-2019 03:00 AM

I had a serious car accident today, and now what with my BRZ?

1 Attachment(s)
As you can see the pic, my car is completely broken down.. it's not even starting, I can't even drive. I only have a liability insurance for others , so I can't fix my car using auto insurance.. Now, do you think I should try to fix this car..? or sell parts or scrap..? It's 2018 Subaru BRZ , and I bought this car as new .. It's only been a year..

Please help. I'm depressed.

Details pics: https://imgur.com/a/BUr7aKi

Mr.ac 04-11-2019 03:15 AM

Well that sucks a big fat one....

I don't want to be that ****, but only liability on a '18 car? Dude.. come on.

Well then, that aside get quotes from a auto body shop. Find out how much it going to cost to fix it. Once you have a total try to get a personal loan. Or work out a payment plan with the auto body shop. Sometimes those heartless bastards can find you a "loan shark".

After that, pay the extra money for full coverage insurance.

BRZBlack 04-11-2019 06:19 AM

Airbag deployment. Did you get checked out at a hospital? Hope there are no injuries for either party. (Sorry my paramedic brain).

22R 04-11-2019 06:36 AM

Is the car paid off ? How only liability if so ? If you have no money to have it repaired either try to fix it yourself or sell it but again if you paid cash for it and only kept liability on it I would think that you figured if this happened you would have more cash to fix it....but somehow I think I am wrong. Best of luck

22R

HaXx 04-11-2019 07:05 AM

Better to be depressed than have lost the use of your legs, friend. Dont fix it. Itll probably never be the same. Once the papers crumpled up it cant be perfect again. Looks totaled, engine compromised, chassis compromised.

maslin 04-11-2019 07:47 AM

Ouch. Lesson learned I hope? Don’t have only liability on anything, and don’t rear end people? Those brembos should haul a sub 3k pound car to a stop quicker than most vehicles on the road.

Cars have crumple zones, they’re designed to collapse like that. All that energy that was dissipated didn’t transfer to your spine.

As said, get a quote or 3, pull another stack of $$ out of your pocket and see what happens. And then get full coverage. 3 cars and a motorcycle my wife and I are well under $100 a month. Insurance is cheap.

Tcoat 04-11-2019 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslin (Post 3206152)
Ouch. Lesson learned I hope? Don’t have only liability on anything, and don’t rear end people? Those brembos should haul a sub 3k pound car to a stop quicker than most vehicles on the road.

Cars have crumple zones, they’re designed to collapse like that. All that energy that was dissipated didn’t transfer to your spine.

As said, get a quote or 3, pull another stack of $$ out of your pocket and see what happens. And then get full coverage. 3 cars and a motorcycle my wife and I are well under $100 a month. Insurance is cheap.

Insurance is cheap depending on who and where you are. To some insurance is a big chunk of cash. Doesn't matter how much it is though it is cash well spent and this is a great example of why. Ig 45 years of driving I have forked over enough insurance money to buy a nice house and have collected a whopping $2000 back on a repair but there is not a hope in hell I would drive a brand new car with only liability.

Those repairs are going to be well over $10K and who really wants a $40K BRZ that may or may not drive properly when done? I don't see any options that are not going to suck up money though.

Brz_racer 04-11-2019 08:46 AM

I had a similar incident in my 2014 BRZ and it was 12500 to fix it. Your most likely looking at around 16 to 17k to have it repaired. Not totalled in my opinion, but it also depends if the frame got bent. If the frame is bent it doesnt matter if it's a 1k repair it's almost always totalled.

Tcoat 04-11-2019 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brz_racer (Post 3206174)
I had a similar incident in my 2014 BRZ and it was 12500 to fix it. Your most likely looking at around 16 to 17k to have it repaired. Not totalled in my opinion, but it also depends if the frame got bent. If the frame is bent it doesnt matter if it's a 1k repair it's almost always totalled.

I have little doubt that if that was an insurance job it would be automatically totaled. Engine impacted and airbags alone would deem it a write off. As pointed out the body panels did exactly what they were designed to do and are no big deal to replace but as soon as the engine is impacted you can almost guarantee structural damage.

Dave-ROR 04-11-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitama (Post 3206117)
As you can see the pic, my car is completely broken down.. it's not even starting, I can't even drive. I only have a liability insurance for others , so I can't fix my car using auto insurance.. Now, do you think I should try to fix this car..? or sell parts or scrap..? It's 2018 Subaru BRZ , and I bought this car as new .. It's only been a year..

Please help. I'm depressed.

Ouch man sorry to hear.

However PM me with a lot more pics and I can give you a realistic cost to fix it IF you are willing to do the work yourself. PM me and I'll tell you what to take pics of.

As for not starting, that's very common on these in front end wrecks. It USUALLY takes about 3 minutes to get them running again, more if you need to bend some stuff out of the way. These cars are VERY sensitive to MAF airflow.

Tcoat 04-11-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 3206188)
Ouch man sorry to hear.

However PM me with a lot more pics and I can give you a realistic cost to fix it IF you are willing to do the work yourself. PM me and I'll tell you what to take pics of.

As for not starting, that's very common on these in front end wrecks. It USUALLY takes about 3 minutes to get them running again, more if you need to bend some stuff out of the way. These cars are VERY sensitive to MAF airflow.

Wondered how long before you showed up!

Dave-ROR 04-11-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3206189)
Wondered how long before you showed up!

Initially I wanted to know what car to add to my salvage watchlists haha but then I saw liability only so.. ;)

Dadhawk 04-11-2019 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3206157)
Insurance is cheap depending on who and where you are. To some insurance is a big chunk of cash. Doesn't matter how much it is though it is cash well spent and this is a great example of why. Ig 45 years of driving I have forked over enough insurance money to buy a nice house and have collected a whopping $2000 back on a repair but there is not a hope in hell I would drive a brand new car with only liability.

Same here. I always carry full coverage, even on cars that are 200,000+ miles.

@mitama, sorry for your situation, hope it works out for you. Since you didn't have collision I'm assuming the car was paid off. Check with a tax person, but I'm relatively sure that at least some of the cost may be tax deductible under "unexpected loss". Given recent tax changes though I'm not sure.

Tcoat 04-11-2019 10:16 AM

https://media1.tenor.com/images/d7d5...itemid=7273915

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 3206192)
Initially I wanted to know what car to add to my salvage watchlists haha but then I saw liability only so.. ;)