Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   For those who've had TOB replaced (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135341)

Decep 06-19-2019 06:08 PM

For those who've had TOB replaced

Im almost at 50K miles on my 2013 and i've had the sewing machine type whining at idle for maybe 15-20k miles from the TOB. No grinding or other weird noises on startup.

Recently, maybe within the last 600 miles i've had this kind of rattling, maybe somewhat marbles in a can sound at around 2000-2500 rpm, in gear, cruising along at street speeds like 30-45 mph.

It goes away at the slightest of clutch inputs (even just depressing the clutch a few mm). Safe to say this is the throwout bearing really starting to give out and i should book an appointment asap?

DandoX 06-19-2019 06:31 PM

TOB symptoms can vary, typically it is occurs when the clutch is pressed on a cold start up, but like I said others have had different symptoms. At 50k I think it would be a good idea to get the TOB done just in case. If left unchecked a gone TOB will cause further more expensive damage. New TOB part is also supposed to have better life. I suggest you do a google search for "FT86club TOB throw out bearing" and consult the wealth of info on this forum which should help you find everything you need to know.

Decep 06-19-2019 06:44 PM

Thanks, just hadn't heard of anyone's making a noise like mine is. I do know they make a real mess when they go.

HKz 06-19-2019 06:45 PM

from new to 40 K miles I had no clutch problems...then from 40 to 50 K my pedal started feeling heavier and mushier especially on start up (though after everything warmed up it would actually go back to being pretty perfect) and then sometime soon after I hit 50 K, I started getting the high pitched whine that I assume you're referring to and I got it replaced right away..back to perfect now

Irace86.2.0 06-19-2019 07:38 PM

Check out my build. The snout/snorkel can get ruined if you wait too long until it finally fails like I did. It isn’t too expensive, but still.

Mr.ac 06-19-2019 08:09 PM

My TOB was making like a roller skate type of sound at 60k miles it finally went out at a Taco Bell drive through. It made a horrible metallic grinding sound, couldn't get past second gear cause it was dead.

The longer you wait the more costly it's going to be. Lucky the shaft he TOB rides on wasn't totally fucked, but it need a good polishing

Long story short the sooner you fix it the happy and worry free your drive will be.

humfrz 06-19-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3229127)
My TOB was making like a roller skate type of sound at 60k miles it finally went out at a Taco Bell drive through. It made a horrible metallic grinding sound, couldn't get past second gear cause it was dead.

The longer you wait the more costly it's going to be. Lucky the shaft he TOB rides on wasn't totally fucked, but it need a good polishing

Long story short the sooner you fix it the happy and worry free your drive will be.

You REALLY ate that stuff? - :confused0068:

humfrz

jflogerzi 06-19-2019 09:36 PM

Mine went completely toast at 63k on a 2013. Now the question is should you replace the clutch? I did because I was close to 225-250wtq and our stock clutch is not rated for that much power. But at 40 you should still have plenty life in the stock clutch

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Decep 06-19-2019 11:01 PM

I may as well, why not.

Mr.ac 06-19-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3229137)
You REALLY ate that stuff? - :confused0068:

humfrz

Only when I feel suicidal. Or when I want to punish someone's toilet :cheers:

radroach 06-20-2019 10:42 AM

@Decep Here's what my TOB sounded like after 50k miles (105k miles on the car).

https://streamable.com/0ka17

Had it replaced last week and it sounds much better.

Decep 06-20-2019 02:48 PM

Did it make that noise in gear and driving around too? It sounds similar but mine does it through all the gears , under light loads

radroach 06-20-2019 03:27 PM

@Decep Yes I had the sound in gear. I couldn't hear it when it was cold, but when it got hot it would knock badly.

TOB sounds vary though depending on how much wear they have. Sometimes they might make a shh-shh noise, or they might make a grinding sound in decel, or in this case a random tapping / clacking.

As for your question about needing to take it to a shop, I'd try to fit it in with a spark plug change or clutch job / upgrade. If you can find a reputable dealership to do valve spring recall (as I know this is more of an issue with Toyota owners) it can be done more conveniently.

why? 06-21-2019 06:49 AM

Might as well upgrade everything, fork, clutch, flywheel, everything you can in the transmission.