Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would you buy a convertible? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22900)

Bristecom 11-24-2012 07:40 AM

Would you buy a convertible?

Would you actually buy a convertible 86/FR-S/BRZ over the coupe? I know I wouldn't...

Neilus 11-24-2012 07:42 AM

Not me ..... I love it the way it is. Just doesn't suit this car. I want to add performance not take it away.

Burrcold 11-24-2012 07:46 AM

Only convertible I would own (that I could afford) is an S2k. Even those I love so much more with the hardtop.

Grishbok 11-24-2012 07:51 AM

If i lost my balls in a sissy slap fight in san fransisco yeah, id consider buying a convertible.

FR-S Matt 11-24-2012 07:51 AM

I own a convertible right now, and I'm selling it for my FR-S. It's occasionally nice here and there, but if you enjoy getting out with your hair looking like a cow licked it, then a convertible is for you. Only reason I own a convertible is because it was the only one available in the car I wanted.

Not to mention, convertible means more weight, and also means one more thing to go wrong. It's a viable idea since the Miata has a convertible, and I'm sure there will be people wanting to buy it, but I still say stick with the coupe. :)

whaap 11-24-2012 08:52 AM

I'm not anti-convertible. I just don't use the convertible top that often when I have one. My last three cars were soft tops. I love my coupe.

wbradley 11-24-2012 10:31 AM

Middle aged bald guy here. Coupe definitely.

I'd only buy a convertible if I had to in order to get the car I wanted to drive. For example, had I decided to look for a used Boxster rather that buying the FR-S it still costs less than a Cayman. I'd just keep the roof up 99% of the time.

Some cars look great in a convertible, like the Z4 and the SLK. My Sister's E350 cabrio is cool...for a girl.

White Shadow 11-24-2012 10:40 AM

The added weight of a convertible would definitely have a negative impact on the car.

If I wanted a convertible, the ONLY car I'd consider is this:

http://diarioautos.com/wp-content/up...-Z4-2012-5.jpg

whtchocla7e 11-24-2012 10:41 AM

FR-S is my daily and I don't want to deal with convertibles in the winter. So... hell naw.

FRiSson 11-24-2012 10:54 AM

Convertibles are fun, but in my mind I associate them with grand touring cars. They are not for serious drivers. That includes super car convertibles. Also, I hate the look of the BMW and Mercedes convertibles. The only ones that look half way good to me are lean and spare machines, like the Lotus Elan. The rest look like expensive shoes with tires bolted on.

Turbowned 11-24-2012 10:57 AM

If I wanted a convertible, I would be looking at an S2000 or an MX-5, plain and simple. The reason why I haven't bought an S2000 or an MX-5, is because I don't want a convertible.

eindio 11-24-2012 11:06 AM

I wouldn't, My camaro is a vert and the ride in that a car wasn't great to start out with, it's meant for straight line mostly so the ride isn't too compromised anyway and the weight is negated by the power anyway, but the frs is scalpel compared to a chainsaw I think as a vert it would degrade it horribly. My wife on the other hand drives the frs as her only car since she can't drive manual and gets sad every time we go by a BMW vert since we traded in an e46 vert for the frs, she's afraid of the power of the camaro and the stick, if a very was offered she would try to talk me into it, so I don't know how to vote. Winter isn't factor here yesterday was 85 degrees so I was driving the camaro everywhere.

axss 11-24-2012 11:16 AM

I think we might be all a bit biased since we already own the coupe, but yeah I dont like the look of the convertible with the two seats in the back... it looks a bit longer than it needs to be.

nedmundo 11-24-2012 06:52 PM

Nope. If I buy an FR-S or BRZ, it would be a coupe, and if I get a convertible it won't be one of the twins. There is NO WAY I could get away with a convertible that wouldn't seat my kids comfortably! I'd never near the end of it.