Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   NA Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43025)

crank 07-30-2013 07:44 PM

NA Tuning

Hey guys I hope I am not opening a can of worms here but I did some quick searching with min results.

What I am looking for is anyone who has found or done some NA tuning like with new heads or port and polished maybe cams and what kind of gains people are seeing.

I have a feeling this motor has a lot of left to show with out a FI kit but I could be wrong..

suaveflooder 07-30-2013 08:11 PM

I hope you are right! I would love to stay NA if possible, but would also like to see 250 to the wheels.

On a side note, @crank, was that your BRZ at Extreme Autofest this past weekend? Only BRZ there and it was WRB. All the other 86's there were FRS's.

WolfsFang 07-30-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suaveflooder (Post 1107153)
I hope you are right! I would love to stay NA if possible, but would also like to see 250 to the wheels.

On a side note, @crank, was that your BRZ at Extreme Autofest this past weekend? Only BRZ there and it was WRB. All the other 86's there were FRS's.

Get a 4.56/4.67 FD and a CF driveshaft.You can also add lighter wheels and a lightweight crank pulley/flywheel. If you want to stay NA and make around 250whp you need to think outside of the box on how to make power and not just modify the engine.

suaveflooder 07-30-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfsFang (Post 1107178)
Get a 4.56/4.67 FD and a CF driveshaft.You can also add lighter wheels and a lightweight crank pulley/flywheel. If you want to stay NA and make around 250whp you need to think outside of the box on how to make power and not just modify the engine.

Good information! Thanks! I agree on thinking outside the box. Keeping my engine/drivetrain stock for awhile, so I have plenty of time to watch people do it and copy :thumbup:

WolfsFang 07-30-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suaveflooder (Post 1107187)
Good information! Thanks! I agree on thinking outside the box. Keeping my engine/drivetrain stock for awhile, so I have plenty of time to watch people do it and copy :thumbup:

I was going the FI route until I had a talk with a corvette enthusiast. Many of the first gen corvette's had 200hp yet were quick. Most of this was achieved with lightweight cars and gearing, you can have a 600hp frs but if the gearing is wrong then it is still slow. After around 2 hours of talking he convinced me to stay NA and to modify other parts of the car (also cheaper and more reliable then going FI :P)

suaveflooder 07-30-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfsFang (Post 1107199)
I was going the FI route until I had a talk with a corvette enthusiast. Many of the first gen corvette's had 200hp yet were quick. Most of this was achieved with lightweight cars and gearing. After around 2 hours of talk he convinced me to stay NA (also cheaper and more reliable then going FI) and to change the gearing around.

Love it. I actually bought the car To keep NA. This is great info!

Captain Insano 07-30-2013 09:16 PM

NA power... my favorite. It ain't easy making NA power especially on a small engine car, but I love the challenge and thinking about "the whole package" and not just engine power. Every little bit counts.

OP not much development besides exhausts and tunes for the NA crowd. FI is getting all the attention as of recent. It will come with time, but yeah light weight mods and FD are best bet until that development arrives.

crank 07-30-2013 09:16 PM

I agree thinking outside the box and a few of those mods mentioned are what I had in mind like cf drive shaft, ect.

No I was not there man sorry lol

Deathreaper 07-30-2013 11:51 PM

I will be going the NA route as I believe it suits the character of the FT86 best. I/H/E with a tune should make a significant difference. Combine this with weight loss via aftermarket parts including light weight wheels, CF drive-shaft and light weight battery etc..., I think it's possible to have a very potent NA setup. Don't think anyone makes cams for the FA20 yet... unless i'm wrong.

crank 07-31-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathreaper (Post 1107639)
Don't think anyone makes cams for the FA20 yet... unless i'm wrong.

The only ones I have seen we're in another post on here I will see if I can find it but they we're close to stock

Turdinator 07-31-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crank (Post 1107770)
The only ones I have seen we're in another post on here I will see if I can find it but they we're close to stock

They were HKS ones to go with their stroker kit. The stroker took capacity out to less than 2.1lts and the cams were under 265*. Waste of money IMO.

EDIT: Found the LINK

crank 07-31-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turdinator (Post 1107794)
They were HKS ones to go with their stroker kit. The stroker took capacity out to less than 2.1lts and the cams were under 265*. Waste of money IMO.

EDIT: Found the LINK

Thanks man did the hard work for me haha

levifig 07-31-2013 02:21 AM

I'd love more power while NA but… there's also something to be said about turbo boost! ;) I love the feeling of it being NA, just sayin' that that torque boost is something that always puts a smile on my face, not to mention the sound of the turbo, of course! ;)

LeeMaster 07-31-2013 02:44 AM

Think outside the box, this 'WPC' could also be another alternative for us NA folks(and turbo/sc) who want extra reliability and possible HP once we figure out what to apply it to.

http://www.wpctreatment.com/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF60s6LeQkI"]WPC Surface Treatment Demo #1 - YouTube[/ame]