Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S / BRZ vs.... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   ...vs Acura RSX Type-S (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3067)

SteelReign 12-29-2011 08:58 AM

...vs Acura RSX Type-S

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0001_large.jpg

http://kzerx.com/PhotoAlbum/2006/RSX...A-Spec2944.jpg

Didn't see a thread on this comparisson but I think they're pretty comparable.

Pros: Good aftermarket support, great high-revving engine, nice interior and steering wheel, "luxury", hatch room

Cons: Popular car for theft, lots of reports of the 6-speed manual grinding in certain gears

Anything you guys can add?

:thanks:

Dave-ROR 12-29-2011 09:44 AM

FRS/BRZ > DC5.

I never liked the RSX-S, it was too isolated, light and boring compared to the older hondas.

bambbrose 12-29-2011 09:45 AM

AS1 will have more torque down low, at least we are hoping.

RSX-S has variable valve lift and VTC. We will likely only have one of those, so the K20A may have higher power potential.

That said, FWD vs. RWD. They are completely different cars.

We are lighter, have basically a refined S2000 transmission, factory LSD (later RSX-S have this), lower COG, etc.

vang 12-29-2011 09:46 AM

The FR-S/BRZ and the RSX Type S will never be cross-shopped by the typical enthusiast due to one very critical difference, RWD vs FWD. The only shopper to look at the two cars is the average Joe wanting a cheap sports coupe (or should I say, sporty coupe), and that person will likely end up getting a Scion tC or Civic Si.

This is not to knock on the RSX at all, as it is a very competent car in its own rights. However, the whole appeal of the FR-S/BRZ is the RWD and drift/fun/holligan factor. The enthusiast wanting this type of fun will probably ignore the RSX when shopping.

madfast 12-29-2011 01:08 PM

the FR-S is what the RSX should have been instead of killing it off...

Shevon 12-29-2011 01:36 PM

^^^this

SUB-FT86 12-29-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 105429)
FRS/BRZ > DC5.

I never liked the RSX-S, it was too isolated, light and boring compared to the older hondas.

What do you mean by isolated? The car has a lot of feel IMO. My car is borderline to harsh because I feel every thing on the road.

What do you mean by light? The only thing I find boring about my car is the engine,tranny and no RWD balance.

Dave-ROR 12-29-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 (Post 105533)
What do you mean by isolated? The car has a lot of feel IMO. My car is borderline to harsh because I feel every thing on the road.

What do you mean by light? The only thing I find boring about my car is the engine,tranny and no RWD balance.

Drive it back to back with a maintained DC2 (ie not one with ripped bushings, etc lol) and it's obvious. The DC2 has heavier steering, less isolated and is more fun to drive. A buddy who used to own a RSX-S used to switch cars with me all the time so he could drive a DC2 again. I'd leave his RSX sitting in the driveway most of the time and take one of my other cars. If you came to the RSX-S from say, a B15 SE-R I'd completely agree, but there were simply better hondas in the past... so if you come from one of those the RSX-S was a HUGE letdown.

SUB-FT86 12-29-2011 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 105536)
Drive it back to back with a maintained DC2 (ie not one with ripped bushings, etc lol) and it's obvious. The DC2 has heavier steering, less isolated and is more fun to drive. A buddy who used to own a RSX-S used to switch cars with me all the time so he could drive a DC2 again. I'd leave his RSX sitting in the driveway most of the time and take one of my other cars. If you came to the RSX-S from say, a B15 SE-R I'd completely agree, but there were simply better hondas in the past... so if you come from one of those the RSX-S was a HUGE letdown.

I used to want a DC2 but I found the interior a let down compared to the DC5 even though I never drove one before. The FR-S got its interior inspiration from the DC5 IMO.

JDLM 12-29-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 (Post 105538)
I used to want a DC2 but I found the interior a let down compared to the DC5 even though I never drove one before. The FR-S got its interior inspiration from the DC5 IMO.

Why on earth would Toyota look @ Honda for inspiration ?

Dave-ROR 12-29-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 (Post 105538)

The interior of the DC2 isn't the best. I prefer the materials in it to the DC5 (especially with that stupid rubber crap they used) but the ergo, controls, etc are far superior in the DC5. The soft padded dash parts in the DC2 are much better than the DC5 in feel though.

Interior doesn't play much of a role for me though unless it gets in the way of driving the car (like a lot of older german cars with those same size tiny ass buttons :P )

Dave-ROR 12-29-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDLM (Post 105557)
Why on earth would Toyota look @ Honda for inspiration ?

A better question is "Since the late 90s until very recently why would anyone look @ Toyota for inspiration?" lol

Honda has made some good products, and some shit ones, same as anyone else.

JDLM 12-29-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 105583)
A better question is "Since the late 90s until very recently why would anyone look @ Toyota for inspiration?" lol

Honda has made some good products, and some shit ones, same as anyone else.

:laughabove: That is true

SUB-FT86 12-29-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 105582)
The interior of the DC2 isn't the best. I prefer the materials in it to the DC5 (especially with that stupid rubber crap they used) but the ergo, controls, etc are far superior in the DC5. The soft padded dash parts in the DC2 are much better than the DC5 in feel though.

Interior doesn't play much of a role for me though unless it gets in the way of driving the car (like a lot of older german cars with those same size tiny ass buttons :P )

Agreed. The plastics is shit in my car but the design is so driver focused.