Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   FRS for BRZ? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91450)

Edens 07-10-2015 10:13 PM

FRS for BRZ?

I have a 2013 FRS with approx 15k miles on it i bought it used at 8400 miles and really enjoy it but a few things bother me that i wish i had. mainly the little things like push button start keyless entry and heated seats. the biggest of all is im tired of black vehicles. while i could get it painted and add all the little things but at the same time i think i could sell my car and buy a brz. whats everyones opinion on the subject.

justin6280 07-10-2015 10:24 PM

If you aren't satisfied with your car and have no financial troubles, then go for it.

Veloist 07-10-2015 10:26 PM

Most of the time these end up upside down, meaning you lose more money especially if you're negative on the appraisal/trade-in if your car isn't paid off.

The smart-entry key has tons of disadvantages. Vehicle break-ins are on the rise with keyless access because they are chip-based. Therefore they are easier to hack and break-in to the car.

You're also more likely to forget a key inside a car with a push button start, because you'd get used to putting the key in the center console or cupholder. Therefore, when you turn the car off, nothing is in your hand when you leave the car. The only way you'd remember is if you remember to lock the car. Therefore, if you forget to lock the car, you just forgot to lock a car with your keys in it. At least with the traditional key, it's in your hand when you turn the car off.

Heated seats are useless too in this car. The interior cabin is so small that heat circulates faster and you warm up in no time. The FR-S's cloth seats heat up well too especially since they're...well...cloth.

Black vehicles are among the nicest colors on the road. They are very popular for performance vehicles and luxury vehicles. The shape of the FR-S is very well complimented by the metallic black finish. And the interior of the FR-S (black with red accents) are best matched with a black interior.

You are going to pay extra, and possibly lose money, over things that aren't worth it. I will bet you won't feel much of a difference/worth because at the end of the day the car will drive the same way.

dtrop 07-10-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veloist (Post 2317269)
Most of the time these end up upside down, meaning you lose more money especially if you're negative on the appraisal/trade-in if your car isn't paid off.

The smart-entry key has tons of disadvantages. Vehicle break-ins are on the rise with keyless access because they are chip-based. Therefore they are easier to hack and break-in to the car.

You're also more likely to forget a key inside a car with a push button start, because you'd get used to putting the key in the center console or cupholder. Therefore, when you turn the car off, nothing is in your hand when you leave the car. The only way you'd remember is if you remember to lock the car. Therefore, if you forget to lock the car, you just forgot to lock a car with your keys in it. At least with the traditional key, it's in your hand when you turn the car off.

Heated seats are useless too in this car. The interior cabin is so small that heat circulates faster and you warm up in no time. The FR-S's cloth seats heat up well too especially since they're...well...cloth.

Black vehicles are among the nicest colors on the road. They are very popular for performance vehicles and luxury vehicles. The shape of the FR-S is very well complimented by the metallic black finish. And the interior of the FR-S (black with red accents) are best matched with a black interior.

You are going to pay extra, and possibly lose money, over things that aren't worth it. I will bet you won't feel much of a difference/worth because at the end of the day the car will drive the same way.

If you have keyless entry, it doesn't even make sense to take your keys out if you pocket while driving...

A limited brz is worth the tiny bit of extra money but not if you're going to take a huge loss on your current frs.

Andrew025 07-10-2015 10:53 PM

If it's anything like my wife's car, you cannot lock the car if the fob is anywhere inside of it.

kludger 07-10-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veloist (Post 2317269)

OP asked this question in the wrong subforum, should have asked it in the BRZ side of the forum where more of us have these features on our twin and use it daily.

Why would anyone need to take the fob out of their pocket to put it on the console?

The whole idea of it is you don't need to think of the fob the entire time from when you get in the car, the door unlocks automatically when you touch the door handle while the fob is in your pocket, and you start it with a button and you lock the car when you leave by touching the handle on the outside... no one ever needs to take their fob out of their pocket to put it on the console, if you had one you would know this.

And it's much more likely to get broken into via old fashioned broken window than someone going through all the trouble of hacking the keyless system, this is a $25k car not a Ferrari that someone is going to stalk and go through the trouble of hacking the keyless system for... either way worst case that's what insurance is for.

The heated seats and mirrors work great in the PNW winter to take the cold edge off in the morning and to remove the fog from the outside mirrors. In my old car I had to wipe the fog/ice off my mirrors every morning in winter just to back out of the drive, with the heated mirrors this is something I've never had to do.

I've personally loved these features on my May 2013 model, and if my car was totalled tomorrow I would buy another BRZ or FRS with the keyless system and the heated seats and mirrors, they are just so convenient that I wouldn't want to buy another car without them.

As to whether it's worth trading your current FRS in for them, that depends on how much money you have to spare and how much those features are worth to you, if it was me I'd probably wait until there was a someone selling one really cheap or a model refresh worth upgrading for, but I don't have tons of money to spare...

WhiteFRS69 07-10-2015 10:59 PM

neither...

Prius

to be honest, the only thing the BRZ offers to me that i would want are the headlights, love the way they look!

i find push button start to be annoying, specially on a manaul car.
headed seats are nice, but thats where automatic car starts come into play (i have one on my manual FRS)

humfrz 07-11-2015 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edens (Post 2317259)
I have a 2013 FRS with approx 15k miles on it i bought it used at 8400 miles and really enjoy it but a few things bother me that i wish i had. mainly the little things like push button start keyless entry and heated seats. the biggest of all is im tired of black vehicles. while i could get it painted and add all the little things but at the same time i think i could sell my car and buy a brz. whats everyones opinion on the subject.

First off, Edens, welcome to ..... the forum.......http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra...mages/wave.gif

I suggest you just take your black car into your local detailer and get it all spiffed up. That will make you feel better ..... :)

Then, just "get over" the rest of the stuff ...... :slap:

Next time buy a car, buy one of a different color, that has all that stuff .... then it will be even more special .. ;)

humfrz

GreenMonster 07-11-2015 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2317415)
Next time buy a car, buy one of a different color, that has all that stuff .... then it will be even more special .. ;)

Agreed. Just wait till the next car to get a different color.

My current car is red. One before that was white... no more white or red for me...

Next car will be black or blue.

GreenMonster 07-11-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFRS69 (Post 2317297)
neither...

Prius

If they made a manual rwd "sport" version of the prius, I'd be all over it...

...or put the toyota HSD into a FRS...

wbradley 07-11-2015 11:53 AM

OP is considering an expensive remedy, not a guaranteed remedy, to boredom.
There are other options including upgrading the existing car. I have pushbutton start on my WRX. It's a nice feature but IMHO not a "must have" on a sports/sporty car.
You can get HIDs put in and there are LED DRLs available to go into the foglight holes.
Or you can get GT 86 style headlights aftermarket.
Would a gussied up FR-S satisfy you? Wheels/tires or even FI might come in at a similar cost to trading in.

WhiteFRS69 07-11-2015 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMonster (Post 2317532)
Agreed. Just wait till the next car to get a different color.

My current car is red. One before that was white... no more white or red for me...

Next car will be black or blue.

my last 3 cars have been white lol

Teseo 07-11-2015 01:12 PM

Keep the frs, its much better. Ask anyone who have it

extrashaky 07-11-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edens (Post 2317259)

It's very, very simple:

Do you want a BRZ with those features?

Buy one.

Do you not want a BRZ with those features?

Don't buy one.

As an owner of a '14 BRZ Limited with all these features, so far I haven't seen a single objection in this thread that makes any sense. Make a decision based on what you want, not a bunch of opinions on a message board.