Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Another Homelink mirror is loose\falling off\rattling thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73557)

B-R-Z 09-04-2014 09:18 PM

Another Homelink mirror is loose\falling off\rattling thread

After a few months of ownership my mirror came loose and fell off my windshield, fortunately not breaking anything. I bought the 'updated' bracket kit at the dealership and while it has not fallen off after a year, my mirror shakes\vibrates to the point where it's useless if I have music on with any bass.

Did I get the wrong updated bracket, or is it normal for this mirror to shake\vibrate even with a 100% normal functioning bracket? I really want to find a way to secure this, has anyone figured out any tricks to tighten it up?

Coheed 09-04-2014 09:40 PM

Mine rattles. I thought it was the dash at first, but started to trace it to that. My car is stock, I wonder if the dealer should address that issue as well...

xxBrun0xx 06-29-2015 07:55 AM

Sorry for reviving this, but does anyone have a fix for this? Recently purchased a new bracket after stripping old one (tried removing homelink mirror ONCE and it stripped). Seemed sturdy after install but rattles came back after about 2 weeks.

Thinking maybe I need to glue the heavy bracket to the windshield?

Shinobu's Smile 06-29-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx (Post 2302986)
Sorry for reviving this, but does anyone have a fix for this? Recently purchased a new bracket after stripping old one (tried removing homelink mirror ONCE and it stripped). Seemed sturdy after install but rattles came back after about 2 weeks.

Thinking maybe I need to glue the heavy bracket to the windshield?

Go to Homedepot and get some flat top machine screws 8-32 X1/2 (nonself-tapping) and replace the 2 self tapping mounting screws. These allow you to tighten the bracket a lot snugger. It may help to also put some threadlocker on them. I had the newer bracket mount and had the same loose/wobbly mirror issues. Swapping the screws out completely fixed it. I may have also wrapped the "U" pin with a layer of electrical tape to snug them up too.

civicdrivr 06-29-2015 09:30 AM

I bent that U spring slightly inwards (towards the glass) near the legs and used larger screws. That provided a really snug fit, but I overtightened it apparently. With the really hot days we had last week, the puck that is glued to the window fell off. This is a replacement windshield so that may have something to do with it.

Sent from my XT1095

g0lds 09-19-2016 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinobu's Smile (Post 2303006)
Go to Homedepot and get some flat top machine screws 8-32 X1/2 (nonself-tapping) and replace the 2 self tapping mounting screws. These allow you to tighten the bracket a lot snugger. It may help to also put some threadlocker on them. I had the newer bracket mount and had the same loose/wobbly mirror issues. Swapping the screws out completely fixed it. I may have also wrapped the "U" pin with a layer of electrical tape to snug them up too.

I know this thread is old - sorry for reviving, but I just wanted to say that this method above worked for me. My second biggest complaint about my '14 BRZ (aside from the crickets) was that the mirror would vibrate really bad even on the smoothest road. Dealer replaced the mirror assembly but did not replace the mount bracket and it still had the annoying vibration.

I followed the method above (except I did not wrap the pin in electrical tape) and viola. Took all of 5 minutes to do and cost $0.53 in screws from ACE hardware. Definitely worth the investment to cure the vibration and save the embarrassment and headache of your mirror falling off the pedestal

B-R-Z 09-19-2016 12:34 PM

My issue was I was not tightening it enough out of fear of breaking the bracket or windshield. I decided to put some torque on it and it snugged up fine and hasn't budged since (& I used Loctite). I did replace the bracket when I created this thread so it could be a revised version.

Sportsguy83 09-19-2016 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g0lds (Post 2756041)
I know this thread is old - sorry for reviving, but I just wanted to say that this method above worked for me. My second biggest complaint about my '14 BRZ (aside from the crickets) was that the mirror would vibrate really bad even on the smoothest road. Dealer replaced the mirror assembly but did not replace the mount bracket and it still had the annoying vibration.

I followed the method above (except I did not wrap the pin in electrical tape) and viola. Took all of 5 minutes to do and cost $0.53 in screws from ACE hardware. Definitely worth the investment to cure the vibration and save the embarrassment and headache of your mirror falling off the pedestal

Any pictures of the screws or links to it?

Shinobu's Smile 09-21-2016 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 2756214)
Any pictures of the screws or links to it?

any flat top machine screws 8-32 X1/2 (nonself-tapping). Show someone at homedepot these dimenions and they can help you out.

They may look the ones in the link below although it doesn't have to be brass colored.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-...9851/202706223

retoocs 09-21-2016 01:46 PM

I ran two beads RTV silicone along the side of the bracket. That seems to dampen the vibration even with the new bracket.