Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First 86/FR-S Convertible Spotted! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29038)

DarkCard 02-15-2013 05:21 PM

ewwww do not like

mrlewistan 02-15-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahausheer (Post 736791)
Doubt it, why would a private party spend the money to do this when they know a production convertible is around the corner?

Anyone notice that the trunk looks like its past vertical when open?

My reasoning is why is it spotted outside japan if Toyota isn't ready to announce it yet. There has already been several toybarus with their roof cut off already. However they usually feature livery of that company.

Zaku 02-15-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FurY (Post 737518)
Link?

And if that is true, why release it as a coupe and not make it a convertible in the first place then?

The original article is an interview conducted by a reputable German Auto Magazine. But if you copy and paste the quote to Google, you'll get many search results by many sources of this interview.

Unfortunately, even if in the past I was able to provide good information on the car and it's development. I can't really talk for what the engineers were saying or what Tada san wanted or answered in his interviews.

But to try to answer the question alittle bit from how I see it. Some speculation is possibly the board first called for a convertible and then decide to change it's mind. Or Looking into market demands of the time, there was plenty of competition on the convertible front at the time. Since when this was developed it was early 07-08 and Honda still had plans of releasing a successor to the S2000( a concept was released in England( it turned out to be some hybrid) and Mazda's New Miata is always a big competition. let's not forget the econ crash of 08. The only thing that was totally missing from the equation at the time was a Sports coupe, since the last RWD affordable Japanese sports coupe at the time was 1999 with the last of the Silvia.

Now with the success of the coupe, Toyota has a bigger backing into pulling customers into seeing it's brand differently. So a convertible that they already had adequate plans for saving them in dev cost seems like a likable idea.

I hope this answers some things.

TRD_86 02-15-2013 05:36 PM

I don't know how the MX5, S2k and 370Z can compare in the "look" department with this car in either coupe or convertible version. No comparison in the exterior body trim & curve lines ! The 86 is just too sleek to look at it. IMO.

BrzRacer 02-15-2013 06:47 PM

Nah this was meant to be a sports coupe not a convertible.
If they wanted a convertible, they should delete the back seats and shorten the length of car and make a 2 seater like the s2000.

ScionFrsFan 02-15-2013 07:16 PM

Summer carr!!! Top downnn! :bellyroll:

jedichimp 02-15-2013 07:31 PM

hard top or nothing

feldy 02-15-2013 07:49 PM

I want to know weight. And the placement of such weight.

oops86 02-15-2013 07:56 PM

Funny. I bought this car for the exact reason it's not a convertable, otherwise I would have bought a Miata years ago. I wanted a light handling sports car, but I also wanted the rigidity of a solid framed car.

caliboy15 02-15-2013 08:12 PM

ew!! donk!

mush 02-15-2013 08:16 PM

targa or hard top for me

GT/86 02-15-2013 08:26 PM

Someone Cut it for sure

ST185RC 02-15-2013 10:46 PM

Coupe turned roadsters are atrocious. It's like a transvestite that didn't change anything but put on clothes of the opposite gender and did breast augmentation, either putting in boobs or removing boobs, I leave that to your imagination. Not being elitist about having a fixed roof, but just look at what happened to the 350z and 370z convertibles. TOP DOWN TOP DOWN, SUMMA CAH, YOU KNOW TOP DOWN? Gross shit. Designed, from the ground up, roadsters look like how they should; coupes, not so much.

n2oinferno 02-15-2013 11:16 PM

I need better pictures and pictures with the top up to decide whether I like it or not. It's very rare that I like the convertible more than the hardtop.

hypermax 02-15-2013 11:44 PM

ELLLLLLLLL.........

reni 02-16-2013 12:00 AM

If it makes money and thus justifies manufacturers investing in cars like the 86 then I'm all for it. I mean, if the only way for me to own an awesome car for cheap is for someone else to pay too much money for a crappy convertible hack, then so be it.

But do you know what would be way more awesome than a convertible 86? A Miata coupe. I never really understood why Mazda chose to reject such a large potential customer base, or refuse to create such a great car, especially when it would require so little effort and cost.

cobrabyte 02-16-2013 12:25 AM

Not too bad looking. Hoping Subaru takes the bait and releases a targa top. Unf, that'd be sexy.

root 02-16-2013 12:43 AM

Yeah, if the 86 was engineered in the beginning as a convertible, the frameless windows make sense. I wondered about that because Subaru finally started to go away from those and Toyota was never into it so why now? Its my one dislike. But anyway, if the 86 was designed initially as a convertible, then what we got now is almost like the M coupe? A convertible turned into a coupe, ridiculously stiff chassis!

Dezoris 02-16-2013 01:55 AM

How about adding more power before fixing problems the car never had to start?

Dezoris 02-16-2013 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ST185RC (Post 738146)
Coupe turned roadsters are atrocious. It's like a transvestite that didn't change anything but put on clothes of the opposite gender and did breast augmentation, either putting in boobs or removing boobs, I leave that to your imagination. Not being elitist about having a fixed roof, but just look at what happened to the 350z and 370z convertibles. TOP DOWN TOP DOWN, SUMMA CAH, YOU KNOW TOP DOWN? Gross shit. Designed, from the ground up, roadsters look like how they should; coupes, not so much.

Oh come on the Solara, Sebring and LeBaron were works of art.

fatoni 02-16-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reni (Post 738240)
If it makes money and thus justifies manufacturers investing in cars like the 86 then I'm all for it. I mean, if the only way for me to own an awesome car for cheap is for someone else to pay too much money for a crappy convertible hack, then so be it.

But do you know what would be way more awesome than a convertible 86? A Miata coupe. I never really understood why Mazda chose to reject such a large potential customer base, or refuse to create such a great car, especially when it would require so little effort and cost.

i dont think there is such a large customer base looking for a miata coupe. i am one of those people wanting one but its probably just the way the forums skew the demographics. i also think that a coupe miata would kinda cannibalize the rx stuff.

enigma 02-16-2013 02:19 AM

Looks like a hair dresser car. :\