Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Nameless header + overpipe fitment issues (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61188)

RiskyTrousers 03-20-2014 01:29 AM

Nameless header + overpipe fitment issues

Hello all,

Got the Nameless header along with their 2.5" overpipe/frontpipe. I'm running into a fitment issue with their overpipe. It's hitting the head and causing an exhaust leak at the top of the gasket.

Anybody else running this combo have the same issue?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psdjwgch75.jpg

StormTrooper 03-20-2014 02:05 AM

Might try re adjusting the midpipe connection.... I had no issues same combo

RiskyTrousers 03-20-2014 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormTrooper (Post 1612839)
Might try re adjusting the midpipe connection.... I had no issues same combo

Adjust where? Details please, I really want to make this work.

I loosened everything up to try and massage a little more room but it's still touching the head. It seems to me the header flange is sitting a little high in relation to the overpipe flange.

Carlitoz3 03-20-2014 02:47 AM

Keep us posted.
I'm doing the same combo as soon as I get my pullies

StormTrooper 03-20-2014 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers (Post 1612863)

I loosened everything up to try and massage a little more room but it's still touching the head. It seems to me the header flange is sitting a little high in relation to the overpipe flange.

Try removing the midpipe connection.... I was thinking it might be pushing the dp up.

What you just said makes me think the header flange is too far up. Do you have stock motor mounts?

2superblus 03-20-2014 08:47 AM

Can you take a pic from further away?
When did you buy your Nameless Over/front pipe and do you have a pic of it?

Imrac 03-20-2014 10:01 AM

I have fitment issues with my Nameless Front/Over pipe Combo as well. With JDL headers there was barely a feeler gauge worth of room between the pipe and the cylinder head. With Stock headers, I had about 1/16th of an inch clearance.

Also @Yamaha_R6 has similar issues with his.

This is there more recent design that "works" with both Manual and Automatic transmissions. I will post pics when I get home.

verts 03-20-2014 11:01 AM

My header was just delivered will find out shortly if it + nameless 2.5" op/dp is going to have the same issue, hoping not :/ .

King Tut 03-20-2014 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers (Post 1612863)

My advice is to loosen the connection at the header, at the mid pipe, and then stick a pry bar in there and pry the overpipe away from the head while someone tightens down the bolts.

OrbitalEllipses 03-20-2014 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 1613354)
My advice is to loosen the connection at the header, at the mid pipe, and then stick a pry bar in there and pry the overpipe away from the head while someone tightens down the bolts.

Not sure if it's worth it, but unbolting the engine mounts may allow for more play.

Decay107 03-20-2014 12:10 PM

hmm, this is the combo I'm going to be running as well. Interested to see other people's results.

mad_sb 03-21-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiskyTrousers (Post 1612799)
Hello all,

Got the Nameless header along with their 2.5" overpipe/frontpipe. I'm running into a fitment issue with their overpipe. It's hitting the head and causing an exhaust leak at the top of the gasket.

Anybody else running this combo have the same issue?

Crap, I have had fitment issues with my 2.5" over front pipe too. I blamed it on my fa20club header. Have not installed my nameless header yet, will do that is weekend. I really hope I don't run into this issue. I even emailed Ryan about it a few weeks ago as a precaution in case the fitment issues continue with the nameless header.

I think the best bet may be to hold off on torquing down the header to block bolts until the over pipe to header flange is bolted up. The over / front pipe also needs to be completely unbolted and free from everything else when you tighten up the header to over pipe flange.. trust me, i have had the flange leak on the top side every time I have worked on my current header or the nameless front pipe or any of the other front pipes i have tried.

RiskyTrousers 03-21-2014 07:10 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice!

So after some more massaging I no longer have an exhaust leak. At least not one I can hear.

First thing I did was loosen everything up again. This includes the overpipe transmission bracket.

I then shoved the headers back towards the rear of the car as far as I could and tightened it.

I used a pry bar on the header side of the midpipe flange to lower its height and shoved a 2x4 between the head and the flange.

At this point I played with the mid pipe for maximum clearance, then tightened the midpipe hanger on the transmission side.

Back to the header/midpipe flange, tightened this one up.

Torqued everything down and no leaks, I think.

Frontpipe is still sitting really close to the head and I do get a rattle every once in a while. Will run it for a couple of events to see how it holds up.

Nameless did offer to take the frontpipe back to see if they can fix it, will probably do this after the National Tour.

cruizin01 03-23-2014 10:32 AM

Also have the same issue with a RevWorks header. Nameless pipe was touching the same spot on the head. I fought with it for quite some time on the lift. Loosed everything, etc, etc. I ended up pinging/denting the pipe to allow for the needed clearance.

I feel I have a leak somewhere though. The car makes a metallic/tinny screech from about 3500-6000 under moderate load. You'd think a $500 pipe would fit better. It could be partially the header I suppose but sounds like the nameless header causes the same issue.