Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Another 'Help Me Pick My Car' Thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99552)

Nevermore 01-03-2016 10:26 AM

Another 'Help Me Pick My Car' Thread

Yes, yes, this is another one of 'those' threads. It's time again for a lowly, confused user to bow down to the masses and accept their advice because he's too indecisive to make his own choice. The biggest reason I need help here is I have to decide between emotional attachment for my current car, and doing what's financially sound.

A couple of facts:
-My current FR-S is a lease that includes everything from oil changes to maintenance to new tires, as well as insurance. I pay one price for everything. It's great (and I have to thank my dad for letting me do his corporate program to get it) and extremely affordable.
-The lease ends in November, I can give it back or buy it (I can also buy it at any time I want)
-The rough part is the current buy price, $17k. I might get a discount, but I'm not sure and it's never been included in the quotes.
-I just ordered wheels on Cyber Monday and I'm just waiting for them to be made and delivered. Though because of winter, they won't go on the car until Spring.

So, I have a couple of options:
-I can suck it up and buy this car just because it's mine and I love it and I like my stuff (Potentially the most expensive option)
-I can hunt and hunt for a used one for potentially cheaper, but then I have to deal with one someone else has beat on. Cheaper, and wheels can be used.
-Turn my car in, lease a new one and do it all over again. Get brand new car, all parts transfer over, still not my car, same issue down the line.
-Turn my car in, lease/buy something else, sell wheels for a considerable loss.

If I do the last option I have to figure out what I want. Right now, all I can think about is a new miata.

Tcoat 01-03-2016 11:13 AM

Inb4 the multitude of "Buy a xxx"!

Based solely upon the fact you never have struck me as a "the grass is always greener " guy here is what I would do if faced with that choice.
In order of preference:

Buy it out - You know the car and exactly how it has been treated since new. May cost you a couple of thousand more then another but the peace of mind alone would be worth it.

Turn it in and get another new one - You will know what the changes are in the 17s by then and can decide if it is worth it to you. You obviously are aware of the drawbacks of this choice already.

Get something different - This can be fun and exciting but you could also get stuck with something that looked great on the surface but in the long run disappoints you after you actually own it. The guys here that went to WRX/STis seem pretty happy though.

Get a used one - There is always a risk in going used with this type of car but I think you know that already. Sure you may save a few dollars but if you are going to save substantially then there will be a reason why it is so much cheaper.

Good luck with your decision (at least you have loads of time to make it)

Kaotic Lazagna 01-03-2016 01:10 PM

Residual amounts are always set by Toyota and that's what they will go by.

I would have to agree with tcoat's order.

Ultramaroon 01-03-2016 03:29 PM

+1 for Tcoat's order but you really should trade up to a better color.

Tcoat 01-03-2016 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2497177)

Ya you really sho.... HEY wait a minute here.

daiheadjai 01-03-2016 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2497045)
Inb4 the multitude of "Buy a xxx"!

Well, you don't have to buy it now. There are places on the internet you can download it for free.

(sorry).

I'm in the same boat. As much as I like the BRZ, when the lease is up, I suspect I'll want to try something else (wishing for an E46 M3 at this point, because they aren't rare, aren't ridiculously expensive anymore, and can handle family duties, or something like the FRS/BRZ dialed up another notch, like the Cayman or a MR-S).

Wifey is contemplating getting a BRZ herself, so that might eat up my overmileage penalty (I'm never leasing another fun-to-drive car again - it's just setting yourself up for failure to adhere to mileage limits), while allowing me to keep the stuff that I have and transfer it over.

I have a feeling I will eventually end up in another Twin - just not sure if I'll take the opportunity to try something else on for a change.

Phantobe 01-03-2016 10:43 PM

Quote:

E8H FTW :party0030:

Ultramaroon 01-03-2016 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantobe (Post 2497430)
E8H FTW :party0030:

http://i.imgur.com/fDB5T9C.png

soulreapersteve 01-03-2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

:slap:

Ultramaroon 01-03-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soulreapersteve (Post 2497452)
:slap:

:D :D :D

Nevermore 01-03-2016 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2497045)
Good luck with your decision (at least you have loads of time to make it)

There's a lot of stuff in your post that I like and I appreciate the honesty. It was one of the best responses I've ever received. I think this line says it all though, I have roughly 10 months to decide, unless I bought it out right away. But I'm starting to think, why give them extra money? I'll milk the lease for what I can and either buy it slightly cheaper, or turn it in having got the most out of the car in the end.

Majority sides with Tcoat so far, though.

Ultramaroon 01-03-2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevermore (Post 2497454)
It was one of the best responses I've ever received.

Oh, bullshit. Mine were awesome.

Nevermore 01-03-2016 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2497460)
Oh, bullshit. Mine were awesome.

You're on my list for trying to tell me there's a better color than hot lava. If you don't know which list I'm talking about, well that's probably for the best.

Ultramaroon 01-03-2016 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevermore (Post 2497463)
You're on my list for trying to tell me there's a better color than hot lava. If you don't know which list I'm talking about, well that's probably for the best.

Your A-list? Because A is for Awesome!