Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   grinding noise when accelerating from stop (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116718)

mokinbird87 03-20-2017 03:17 PM

grinding noise when accelerating from stop

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHNnT-0CrOs"]March 20, 2017 - YouTube[/ame]

do you guys hear the grinding when i accelerate? Only happens in 1st gear
and only on left hand turns loading the front right wheel. the right front side has been in an accident previously and I ended up replacing the lower control arm and the hub carrier. I checked everything for any rubbing but no signs.. I even changed the driveshaft to another OEM one, but that didnt fix anything..

Mr Nerd 03-20-2017 07:56 PM

Have you tried accelerating from a stop in 2nd gear? (Without lugging it too much of coarse)

humfrz 03-20-2017 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokinbird87 (Post 2875872)
March 20, 2017 - YouTube

do you guys hear the grinding when i accelerate? Only happens in 1st gear
and only on left hand turns loading the front right wheel. the right front side has been in an accident previously and I ended up replacing the lower control arm and the hub carrier. I checked everything for any rubbing but no signs.. I even changed the driveshaft to another OEM one, but that didnt fix anything..

Yes, I hear it ....... doesn't sound good ..... :(

Is the crunchy sound coming from the front of the vehicle .. ??

After the accident, and they replaced the hub carrier, did they replace the bearing..?? I had to ask.

Why did you change the driveshaft ... ??

I suggest you take off the front wheels and inspect the hubs and bearings and the brake calipers.

Or, do it the humfrz way ...... take it up to a local alignment/suspension shop and let them sort it out.

OH HELL ....... daaaaa ........ I forgot ...... change the transmission oil ...... :D

(that fixes everything)

humfrz

mokinbird87 03-21-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Nerd (Post 2876050)
Have you tried accelerating from a stop in 2nd gear? (Without lugging it too much of coarse)

So actually I have. Verdict is it only does it when I'm turning left but not when going straight (in 2nd gear).

Mr Nerd 03-22-2017 12:31 AM

Is it possible to tell if it's coming from the front or back? I'm leaning toward a a prob with your diff/lsd. Any mods or changes recently with your rear differential? Could also have something to do with VSC and wheel speed sensors but that would be very unusual.

mokinbird87 03-22-2017 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2876140)
Yes, I hear it ....... doesn't sound good ..... :(

Is the crunchy sound coming from the front of the vehicle .. ??

After the accident, and they replaced the hub carrier, did they replace the bearing..?? I had to ask.

Why did you change the driveshaft ... ??

I suggest you take off the front wheels and inspect the hubs and bearings and the brake calipers.

Or, do it the humfrz way ...... take it up to a local alignment/suspension shop and let them sort it out.

OH HELL ....... daaaaa ........ I forgot ...... change the transmission oil ...... :D

(that fixes everything)

humfrz

Bearing was not changed.. I have done the transmission fluid not too long ago. I always use Motul for everything. Body shops mechanic told me he sees something weird about the driveshaft.. silly me I should've looked under myself but at $100 I was just willing to try to cancel out the possibility that it could be the driveshaft.

I do have a weird wearing pattern on the front brake pads (inside wearing much faster) and I'm missing the metal shim.. can't be this causing the issue tho?

mokinbird87 03-22-2017 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Nerd (Post 2877027)
Is it possible to tell if it's coming from the front or back? I'm leaning toward a a prob with your diff/lsd. Any mods or changes recently with your rear differential? Could also have something to do with VSC and wheel speed sensors but that would be very unusual.

It is for sure coming from the front. I'm leaning towards overpipe hitting the crossmember due to bad engine mount or something

Mr Nerd 03-22-2017 03:07 AM

It is not the overpipe. I am 100% sure if that. This is most certainly related to low rpms and your turning plane. I honestly have no more input other than to take it to a dealer and have them evalute the car and re-calibrate the VSC. Very strange....

Tcoat 03-22-2017 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokinbird87 (Post 2877076)
Bearing was not changed.. I have done the transmission fluid not too long ago. I always use Motul for everything. Body shops mechanic told me he sees something weird about the driveshaft.. silly me I should've looked under myself but at $100 I was just willing to try to cancel out the possibility that it could be the driveshaft.

I do have a weird wearing pattern on the front brake pads (inside wearing much faster) and I'm missing the metal shim.. can't be this causing the issue tho?

Bingo!

Driveshaft wouldn't just make a noise in one gear and while turning. It is not your problem.

mokinbird87 03-22-2017 06:32 PM

I'll try the rebuild of calipers and put in new pads with the shims and see what happens

mokinbird87 04-07-2017 09:59 PM

Got whole new calipers. Figured out overpipe is rubbing against the front crossmember

botbs 05-22-2021 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mokinbird87 (Post 2887627)
Got whole new calipers. Figured out overpipe is rubbing against the front crossmember

Hi there,

How did you solve the overpipe issue?

Thanks!

humfrz 05-26-2021 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by botbs (Post 3435189)
Hi there,

How did you solve the overpipe issue?

Thanks!

My guess would be ..........