Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Driving without passenger seat? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101629)

Lorico 02-15-2016 10:37 PM

Driving without passenger seat?

I need to ask this question because sooner or later, i'm going to have to pack my car with high readiness gear. I have a barrack box and random military gear that obviously wont fit in the trunk, but it'll fit only with the passenger seat removed. I understand the dangers of loose equipment, but this will be a short ride.

Will removing my passenger seat disable both airbags or just the passengers airbag? I tried doing this with my old civic, and it disabled both airbags

Mr.ac 02-15-2016 10:49 PM

Well..... I can't really answer to the first part, but removing the passenger seat will disable the passenger air bag, duh. And you'll have an air bag light come on. Other than that, it's fine.

Lorico 02-15-2016 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2549260)
Well..... I can't really answer to the first part, but removing the passenger seat will disable the passenger air bag, duh. And you'll have an air bag light come on. Other than that, it's fine.

you don't need to answer the first part, i've already mentioned my military gear will fit. I'm not sure if you're sarcastic "duh" means your certain that only the passenger airbag will be disabled or not.

more input needed

go_a_way1 02-15-2016 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorico (Post 2549276)
you don't need to answer the first part, i've already mentioned my military gear will fit. I'm not sure if you're sarcastic "duh" means your certain that only the passenger airbag will be disabled or not.

more input needed

I would imagine only the one is disabled, why would 2 not work if just 1 is removed? It would make more sense for all to be disabled or just the 1. BTW why does it matter if its a short trip and only once? Its not like your planning on setting them off haha

edit: and with all that stuff in the car if you wreak an airbag isnt going to save you

PandaSPUR 02-15-2016 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2549285)
I would imagine only the one is disabled, why would 2 not work if just 1 is removed? It would make more sense for all to be disabled or just the 1. BTW why does it matter if its a short trip and only once? Its not like your planning on setting them off haha

edit: and with all that stuff in the car if you wreak an airbag isnt going to save you

Well he said with his Civic, removing passenger seat disabled both airbags. Maybe some kind of tamper detection feature? Who knows.

I don't know if the same would happen with the twins. Some of the track guys could probably tell you.

Leonardo 02-15-2016 11:40 PM

I have fit so much in my car with the rear seat removed. I have Googled the size of the box. It should fit behind both front seats. Or, I must not understand its size. Have you tried folding the rear seat down, sorry if it's a silly question.

How big is this box? How much gear are we talking?

I've fit a twin mattress in mine. Literally. With the seats still in it.

Mr.ac 02-16-2016 01:19 AM

Your way over thinking this. Just remove the seat. Pack your car and go.
Like Go-a-way1 said with all that stuff airbags are null.
If for some reason your worried about safety, rent a truck, have some one drop you off. Problem solved.

RichardsFRS 02-16-2016 03:27 AM

Trucks because they haul shit

S84kam 02-16-2016 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 2549371)
If for some reason your worried about safety, rent a truck, have some one drop you off. Problem solved.

Do you have any idea the stress involved being military? Sounds like you don't understand. He needs to over think and think outside the box, he can't just simply rent a truck at a moments notice and drop off his GEAR. You probably need to be with your gear ALL the time!!

I understand what Lorico is saying, if he's given the call to be deployed, he can simply remove his seats, throw his shit in, drive to the location and go.

I have many friends in the military, life's tough.

RichardsFRS 02-16-2016 05:52 AM

Never heard of a soldier carrying anything around. My buddy was issued his stuff at check point. Will they even let you carry it around? Usually checked and checked out

Braces 02-16-2016 08:58 AM

You might be better off if both are disabled if they are Takata airbags.

chaoskaze 02-16-2016 09:11 AM

I can't answer your question but you will love how much space there is with passenger seat removed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcoat 02-16-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braces (Post 2549550)
You might be better off if both are disabled if they are Takata airbags.

They are not (Thank goodness)

Tcoat 02-16-2016 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S84kam (Post 2549469)
Do you have any idea the stress involved being military? Sounds like you don't understand. He needs to over think and think outside the box, he can't just simply rent a truck at a moments notice and drop off his GEAR. You probably need to be with your gear ALL the time!!

I understand what Lorico is saying, if he's given the call to be deployed, he can simply remove his seats, throw his shit in, drive to the location and go.

I have many friends in the military, life's tough.

Must have been very different back in my day (and Canada eh). You put all your gear in a big box slapped a label on it and it somehow was waiting for you when you got to your deployment. The L&T fairies (the winged kind not the other) had strong magic. Mind you we had to do all travel in number one (dress) uniforms so you had to carry your duffel bag with your civvies and work dress but that was about all. I can't even fathom the pain in the butt it would be to try and move my entire kit from posting to posting.
Coming back from Vegas last month there were two guys with a cart full of barracks boxes, duffle bags and hand gun lockups at the airport and I thought it was odd they were checking all that stuff. Now I know why!