Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   OEM softwear quesstion (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61700)

DanoFA20 03-26-2014 01:45 PM

OEM softwear quesstion

is the stock softwear reliable. i talked to some friends who say that at high rpms, the car doesnt retard timing and causes knock? is this true or is the stock softwear completely fine. if its not i would be interested in getting a ecutek tune. i do track so i would love to get some inputs. thanks soo much for responses.

wparsons 03-26-2014 02:10 PM

I would be VERY suspect of anyone making claims like that without logs to prove it.

DanoFA20 03-26-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 1627631)
I would be VERY suspect of anyone making claims like that without logs to prove it.

some one was telling me this but i wanted to make sure. thanks for the input though :)

stugray 03-26-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanoFA20 (Post 1627570)
is the stock softwear reliable. i talked to some friends who say that at high rpms, the car doesnt retard timing and causes knock? is this true or is the stock softwear completely fine. if its not i would be interested in getting a ecutek tune. i do track so i would love to get some inputs. thanks soo much for responses.

What year is your car?

The 2013 cars had the issue that is believed to cause the blown DI seals issue.

If your car is a 2014, you already have the updated ROM to solve the transient retard issue.

wparsons 03-26-2014 04:25 PM

If the ECU detects knock, it'll pull back timing, but without logs I'd be very suspicious.

SirBrass 03-26-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 1627992)
If the ECU detects knock, it'll pull back timing, but without logs I'd be very suspicious.

On 91 octane, it does indeed knock on stock tune. I'd have to ask @nelsmar if he has the logs from my car when we loaded the first few ROMs when we began road tuning, as I didn't have my tablet PC yet, so I don't have those logs. But, the logs did show knock detection detecting knock and the ECU pulling timing. But it wasn't that the ECU didn't pull timing, thus resulting in knock, like the OP was told by this anonymous "someone", but that the ECU detected knock and thus pulled timing.

My stock ROM was for the 2014 models, so I wouldn't have had the serious transient knock issue anyway.

wparsons 03-26-2014 04:32 PM

Not saying it can't knock on the stock tune, but if it knocks it will pull back timing. The OP's post was asking about the ECU not pulling timing if it detected knock.

86-tundra 03-26-2014 05:20 PM

Quote:

Didn't know my car came with a nice pair of underwear?

Definitely don't want any knock on my softwear ..

forzajuve 03-26-2014 05:29 PM

Actually, the OP is reminding me of a post I read a few months back. It was with regard to the very issue he is talking about - knock on the stock tune at high RPM's. In fact, @shiv or @jamesm could probably shed some light on this

Circuit Motorsports 03-26-2014 05:39 PM

The factory tune does indeed knock on 91 octane, and I've seen it knock on 93 octane as well. Most of this knock was at lower rpms 1600 - 3000rpm and with a fair amount of tip-in knock. It did not have knock issues at the high rpms.

The ECU will pull/retard timing if it is detecting knock, regardless of the rpm you are running at.

There have been a few significant factory ECU flash updates since the earlier models came out. You can bring it to a local dealership to have it flashed to the latest factory update if you have not done so yet. If you have a 2014 you should be good.

If you have installed an aftermarket intake, you may be running too lean depending on the intake. Modifications will need a tune the get the maximum benefit from them.

- Bob

Luckrider 03-26-2014 05:54 PM

If you want at some point, we are close enough that you can see how my car runs with @shiv@vishnu's tune on the OFT. We can also use it to log your car if you wish. The factory tune can be all over the place sometimes. I noticed the IAM drop a few times with the stock tune, but never with Shiv's Stage 1 or EL Stage2 E85 tunes.

steve99 03-26-2014 07:03 PM

Quote:

I believe your answer is here, transient knock retard was not activated in early ROM's

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50088

Depending on your fuel the stock tune knocks as per above post by Circuit Motorsports. You can also get some knock in 5000-7000 rpm WOT, yes FLCK tries to correct it but its better if you retard your timing so it does not occur in the first place.

Remember the engine must knock before the knock detector can sense it and then the ecu corrects it.

stugray 03-26-2014 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports (Post 1628231)
There have been a few significant factory ECU flash updates since the earlier models came out. You can bring it to a local dealership (unless you have a 2013 BRZ) to have it flashed to the latest factory update if you have not done so yet. If you have a 2014 you should be good.

fixed that for you :D

Subaru will not bring the 2013 models up to date if your car is older than some line in the sand.

SirBrass 03-26-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stugray (Post 1628659)
fixed that for you :D

Subaru will not bring the 2013 models up to date if your car is older than some line in the sand.

Subaru won't, but thankfully you don't have to rely on them to do that. If you've got ecutek, you can always flash your ECU to the latest ROM ;).