Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It's been a great run guys. Want your feedback. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26384)

alrashwa 01-14-2013 04:03 PM

It's been a great run guys. Want your feedback.

UPDATE: Parts are now up for sale. Interior, Exterior, engine, and misc. parts will be posted.

Hi Guys, I've had my Lava FRS since August. Some of you know I was one of the first few people to report idle issues and stalling. My car has spent about 40 days in shop for everything from bad cam gears to leaking weather seals since I bought it. I've put about $2000 of aftermarket and OEM parts into it, but it's time to part ways.

My stack of about 12 Scion Service records seems to have no bearing on the status of my car. After HPFP replacements, body work, new tail lights, and major engine repair, I still get idle drops when hitting the gas, water in my tail lights, and screaming crickets under my hood that get worse with every tank.

I've had some older project cars, but this wasn't supposed to be my project car. I wanted this to be my keeper, my reliant ride, but it's just not so. I'll be the first to admit, the stresses of this car are just not something I want to keep dealing with.

I've begun the arbitration process with Washington State to get my money back. I'll say that this is one of the best car forums I've seen, and I'll really miss this community.

TLDR: Car is making me nuts and I'll be selling all the fancy bits I've collected for it on here in the coming weeks.

My question for some of you Subaru guys is about the WRX. I've lurked some forums and it sounds like there are some common oil issues with the boxer engines in the impreza. Also the fact that I've had such a bad experience with a car made by subaru. Can you give me any reason to trust Subaru at this point? Also, any feedback about the Focus ST? Lets keep it mellow I'm not trying to start any wars, just want a practical/fun sporty car and those are on my radar. :thanks:

chenshuo 01-14-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alrashwa (Post 664718)
Hi Guys, I've had my Lava FRS since August. Some of you know I was one of the first few people to report idle issues and stalling. My car has spent about 40 days in shop for everything from bad cam gears to leaking weather seals since I bought it. I've put about $2000 of aftermarket and OEM parts into it, but it's time to part ways.

My stack of about 12 Scion Service records seems to have no bearing on the status of my car. After HPFP replacements, body work, new tail lights, and major engine repair, I still get idle drops when hitting the gas, water in my tail lights, and screaming crickets under my hood that get worse with every tank.

I've had some older project cars, but this wasn't supposed to be my project car. I wanted this to be my keeper, my reliant ride, but it's just not so. I'll be the first to admit, the stresses of this car are just not something I want to keep dealing with.

I've begun the arbitration process with Washington State to get my money back. I'll say that this is one of the best car forums I've seen, and I'll really miss this community.

TLDR: Car is making me nuts and I'll be selling all the fancy bits I've collected for it on here in the coming weeks.

My question for some of you Subaru guys is about the WRX. I've lurked some forums and it sounds like there are some common oil issues with the boxer engines in the impreza. Also the fact that I've had such a bad experience with a car made by subaru. Can you give me any reason to trust Subaru at this point? Also, any feedback about the Focus ST? Lets keep it mellow I'm not trying to start any wars, just want a practical/fun sporty car and those are on my radar. :thanks:

You're scaring me a little. I'm taking delivery of my BRZ soon and i hope my car won't be like what you had.

Tt3Sheppard 01-14-2013 04:24 PM

The Focus ST is a great car. I test drove it on an Autocross track in Foxboro MA back in the summer. I would say that is a great alternative to the FR-S. Sorry you've had such bad luck with her.

Gixxersixxerman 01-14-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenshuo (Post 664760)
You're scaring me a little. I'm taking delivery of my BRZ soon and i hope my car won't be like what you had.

Unfortunately, there will always be "that car out there" I've seen complete duds at every model working at ford.. I have over 10k miles and maybe when it's cold might get a slight idle dip.. Other then that no issues yet that are the cars fault, I made it loud and buzzy with the greddy evo 3, a guy backed into it, it has some scratches, otherwise the car runs great gets 38 mpg on the highway and about 32-33 in the city..

As for the op, I can't imagine how aggravating this can be, I've seen it before.. Good luck with your next car, stop by and let us know what you go with

Ryephile 01-14-2013 04:35 PM

Bummer your FR-S has been a lemon. :(

How about the FR-S's little brother, the Miata Club PRHT? The Miata is reliable as hell and a blast to drive. The Focus ST will feel like a boat compared to the FR-S, not to mention the front-drive buzz-kill.

Best of luck with arbitration.

Bonburner 01-14-2013 04:44 PM

Sorry to hear about the troubles you went through :/

PNW FRS 01-14-2013 04:47 PM

Good luck!

Good luck with the arbitration. Hope you get some satisfaction.

Too bad that you seem to have fallen victim to "1st year release... blues."
Hopefully the things you brought to their attention benefited later production runs. If so.. "Thanks" for your diligence in making them own up to the myriad of issues.

Asphalt~86 01-14-2013 04:52 PM

What fancy parts do you have mr fancy pants?

mattles 01-14-2013 04:54 PM

its tough if you want another car with similar driving dynamics as the FRS, your only real option is the Mazda MX5/Miata at this point. However, if you are ok with FWD (Im not, but some people are) then the Focus ST or Hyundai Veloster Turbo are both great.
If you need that FR fix, then the Genesis may be worth a look, but its not nearly as agile or tight as the FRS, though the turbo model has A LOT more power.

leon78 01-14-2013 05:01 PM

Genpu MazdaSpeed3's are a great value for the car if your looking to buy new. check out genwon if you wanna buy used. Just as good as the ST and a solid aftermarket. Also one of the best forums on the interwebz.... mazdaspeedforums.org Give it a look.

alrashwa 01-14-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asphalt~86 (Post 664827)
What fancy parts do you have mr fancy pants?

Still waiting for an offer back from Toyota Corp, but here is a preview off the top of my head:

-Auto-dimming OEM BRZ mirror with digital compass
-86 logo Grimmspeed oil cap
-HKS high flow air filter, only in the car for 1 week, put back into the box
-Lloyds all weather floor mats custom for the FRS/BRZ
-Never installed lightweight Alternator pulley a friend in Japan sent me
-Custom matching stitched arm rest
-Custom fit windshield shade bought from a Scion dealership
-86 logo console plaque (goes in that little hollow below the shifter)
-Hot Lava touch up paint (color code H8R)
-Tamiya GT86 model, not assembled new in box, also have the limited ed. orange paint from Tamiya

I'll go and see what else I forgot when I get more details probably closer to the end of the month. I'll make a new thread in the classifieds and update this thread with a link.

DarkSunrise 01-14-2013 05:03 PM

Back when I had my STI, some folks on the STI forums were having issues with piston ringlands cracking on the EJ257 engine caused by detonation, but from what I understand, that was mostly an STI issue and less common on WRXs (which have a lower CR). Might want to look into that to be safe. Otherwise, the STIs were pretty reliable and I'd expect the WRXs were as well. Fun car, sloppier and heavier than you would be used to in your FR-S, but a lot more power and torque.

You also might want to try a Mini Cooper S. I can't speak towards its reliability, but I had a lot of fun throwing it around corners in my test-drive. Also really liked the Mustang GT, which local dealers were selling well under $30k last summer.

alrashwa 01-14-2013 05:06 PM

Thanks, I suppose I should have asked on the BRZ side of the general forum about the WRX feedback. Are there any rules against linking people to this thread from there? I'm guessing some BRZ owners probably don't come by here often.

fredk 01-14-2013 05:07 PM

I've had my FR-S for about six weeks and have not had any of the issues/problems you have had, it's been great. I love it, mine was made in 11/12.

I picked up a '13WRX two weeks ago, love the power, comfort, room and visibility. If my wife and I are doing something or I need room for passengers I take the WRX, otherwise I'm smiling in the FR-S.