Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which mods are underrated? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43809)

retrosmiths 08-08-2013 03:46 PM

Which mods are underrated?

For me, I'd say retrofitting or at least modding the headlights. Unless you always drive in daylight 100% of the time, a proper headlight setup is critical. That deer from 100 feet ahead could easily be avoided if you can see 100 feet in front of you and not just have glowing blue orbs as a light source. The stock FR-S headlights are actually pretty good when quality HID bulbs are installed. Me, I simply covered the squirrel finders (the blocks of light above the cutoff) to prevent glare to oncoming vehicles. This is enough for me while I'm building a real retrofit setup on my spare headlights. (Note: my image signature is out of date, I already sold my Mini H1 setup and is rocking the Demon Eyes for now)

Second, a good quality tint. I know I have that other thread here where I stated I paid $800 for my tint, but I have no regrets about it (the issue was resolved btw, they did install 3M 70% Crystalline all around). I like to keep nighttime visibility and want the best heat rejection out there so I went with this top-of-the-line tint. You can definitely feel the difference when it's sunny outside and you just got in your car and it's still cool inside. Except for the budget part, I don't get why people cheap out on tint. It's similar to how people buy cheap mattresses when they sleep on it 8 hours a day.

Third is a dash camera. How many times have you heard of people being blamed by the other party on an accident and have no evidence of any sort to prove that they are in the right of way? I have the BlackView 500 installed and always recording even when car is turned off (it's hooked up to a power saver thing to prevent the battery from being drained), so I have a chance of catching anyone doing anything to my car in the parking lot.

:burnrubber:

dsgerbc 08-08-2013 03:47 PM

Nut behind the wheel upgrades.

lickitysplit 08-08-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retrosmiths (Post 1128250)
:burnrubber:

The driver mod.

bkblitzed 08-08-2013 03:49 PM

driver mod has to be #1. #2 would probably be tires

supramkivtt2jz 08-08-2013 03:51 PM

camber bolts.

Frstorm 08-08-2013 03:53 PM

For noobs what's the driver mod? Just the driver of vehicle?

retrosmiths 08-08-2013 04:05 PM

Added my reply on the first comment:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...50&postcount=1

Kimsey47 08-08-2013 04:19 PM

I would say the best mod I've witnessed is when people discover that one of the stalks on the steering wheel makes a little light blink outside of the car telling others what their intentions are resulting in safe roads for everyone. This seems to be a mod that 90% of American drivers need to impliment.

retrosmiths 08-08-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimsey47 (Post 1128340)
I would say the best mod I've witnessed is when people discover that one of the stalks on the steering wheel makes a little light blink outside of the car telling others what their intentions are resulting in safe roads for everyone. This seems to be a mod that 90% of American drivers need to impliment.

I hear you man, lots of bad drivers out there who thinks other people are psychic.

SS4goku 08-08-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frstorm (Post 1128278)
For noobs what's the driver mod? Just the driver of vehicle?

It implies the best "mod" a car can have is a good driver.

I'd say tires are always under rated when it comes to mods.

Xdragonxb0i 08-08-2013 04:41 PM

rexspeed side view mirrors. eliminating blind spots around you is incredible

TRD-X 08-08-2013 04:45 PM

Your mods are overrated Karl why mod headlights on a new car only to make them illegal in most states.

CAMBAM_6 08-08-2013 04:47 PM

Personally i dont really consider any of the 3 things you stated as a MOD OP because none of them really changed or improved the performance of your car. It would be more cosmetic, as for me i think my stock headlights and tint work just fine. So i guess my answer would be something like a drop in air filter or a weighted shift knob to improve shifting. Some of you said tires but i dont think tires are under rated, everyone knows our stock tires are Shit when it comes to grip :thumbsup:

ModBargains.com 08-08-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lickitysplit (Post 1128253)
The driver mod.

x1000000

What's the point of having a seriously good handling car if you don't know how to use it. I agree with that 100% :clap: