Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What aftermarket Alarm did you buy and where did you get it installed? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41069)

bear89103 07-08-2013 07:29 PM

What aftermarket Alarm did you buy and where did you get it installed?

Just a quick question that I'd like those who have aftermarket alarms to weigh in on.

1) What aftermarket alarm did you buy and why did you choose that model?
2) Where'd you get it installed at?

Thanks!

bear89103 07-10-2013 12:58 PM

No one chiming in? :-(

michaelosx 07-10-2013 01:12 PM

Auto theft on rise; California a "hotbed for hot cars"

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/auto...ars-6C10488681

I'll be watching your thread. When I do get an alarm, it will probably be a Viper with the Responder system and pager. If the alarm goes off, I want to know right away. At home my car is in the garage, and at work it's about a 5 second run from me most of the time. Since I can't see the car at work unless I peek out a back door, I want the pager.

bear89103 07-10-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelosx (Post 1058407)
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/auto...ars-6C10488681

I'll be watching your thread. When I do get an alarm, it will probably be a Viper with the Responder system and pager. If the alarm goes off, I want to know right away. At home my car is in the garage, and at work it's about a 5 second run from me most of the time. Since I can't see the car at work unless I peek out a back door, I want the pager.

That is exactly why I'm in the market for an alarm and wanted to see what people have been getting and their experiences with installation from shops around so cal.

spgrizz22 07-10-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear89103 (Post 1053489)
Just a quick question that I'd like those who have aftermarket alarms to weigh in on.

1) What aftermarket alarm did you buy and why did you choose that model?
2) Where'd you get it installed at?

Thanks!

Viper 5904 with all the accessories. If they lift my car, it would send me a text to my phone. If they tap on my windshield or walk around my car to long, it would send me a text. I use to have to voice speaker which would talk to the intruder, but it got highly annoying!

bear89103 07-10-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spgrizz22 (Post 1058551)
Viper 5904 with all the accessories. If they lift my car, it would send me a text to my phone. If they tap on my windshield or walk around my car to long, it would send me a text. I use to have to voice speaker which would talk to the intruder, but it got highly annoying!

Where did you get it installed at? Did you like their service and it's been working well for you, no problems?

spgrizz22 07-10-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear89103 (Post 1058554)
Where did you get it installed at? Did you like their service and it's been working well for you, no problems?

I had it installed at KCS, which is hands down the best auto shop in Memphis. I love their service, as they are very kind and know what they are doing. They called the Scion headquarters because they felt the window module I had, which would allow me to roll my window up and down from my phone or keys, would burn up the window motor. They were correct and scion said if I had installed that, within a year and a half my motor would have blown.

mav1178 07-10-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spgrizz22 (Post 1058568)
I had it installed at KCS, which is hands down the best auto shop in Memphis.

.... and Memphis is so close to Los Angeles. Kind of out of context for this forum, don't you think?

-alex

bear89103 07-10-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 1058585)
.... and Memphis is so close to Los Angeles. Kind of out of context for this forum, don't you think?

-alex

Regardless, he gave great information. I had no idea about the window motor blowing. So I really appreciate his post. I might not be able to take it to Memphis to get it installed there. But his post is legit and valuable.

michaelosx 07-10-2013 02:20 PM

Advance Mobile Security

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Advan...69850273029100

This is the best shop in Bakersfield. They installed a Viper in one of my Tacomas a few years ago. They are friendly and very professional. I know it's far from Chino, but this is where I'll be getting an alarm for my FR-S.

bear89103 07-10-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelosx (Post 1058660)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Advan...69850273029100

This is the best shop in Bakersfield. They installed a Viper in one of my Tacomas a few years ago. They are friendly and very professional. I know it's far from Chino, but this is where I'll be getting an alarm for my FR-S.

I'm willing to drive some distance for a good alarm. The reason is because when I lived in Vegas, a shop out there did an alarm for my G20. Totally screwed up my electrical system. So I want it done right.

Of course, if there's some place closer that others here are recommending, I'll probably go there first. LOL.

michaelosx 07-10-2013 02:32 PM

I had to go back to get the sensitivity turned down a little, but it was quick and easy, and the owner did it himself.

If you check out their page, you will see they have lots of loyal customers. I noticed two Ferraris, a big rig, and even a loader. I also noticed that their shop dog, Bella, passed away last year. She was so big and intimidating, but also very sweet. Glad they have a new puppy now. Cool people.

Flat Black VW 07-10-2013 02:36 PM

I used an AutoMate AM1 so I didnt have to use an aftermarket key fob. Gives me a shock sensor which is all I really need. seems like your in the market for something a bit more advanced.

Viper makes good stuff, I personally sell compustar since they have the same features and function just as well as viper, but their tech support is much easier to deal with which is important for me.

rmjjensen 07-10-2013 03:01 PM

I actually installed this on my other car:

1) Compustar CM6000 w/ 2-way pager. The range is amazing (1 mile), tons of options, tons of aux outs, and I bought the EZGO system (RF tag to automatically arm/disarm when the tag is out/in range of the car). So far the system is great and I love it.
2) Installed it myself

Check out compustar - they have a lot of nice features including Drone Mobile to allow you to control/monitor your car from your cellphone. You really can't beat the features that they have to offer.