Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Mann Engineering Coilovers - Inverted (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110943)

Clipdat 09-22-2016 11:00 PM

Mann Engineering Coilovers - Inverted

The only threads on these are multiple years old, so I figured I'd start a new one.

Seriously considering these and wondering if anyone else wanted to chime in with thoughts, driving impressions, photos, or anything else regarding these:

https://www.mann-engineering.com/ind...t86-25585.html

https://www.mann-engineering.com/med...cu-sub1401.jpg

One‐way adjustable inverted struts (Fronts Only)
12‐point adjustments for rebound and bound
Aluminum rear shock casings to help Reduce weight
Carefully selected springs rates by AST Springs
Included front endlinks
Factory coated shock casings to prevent rust and corrosion
Aluminum shock collars for height adjustment
Designed to utilize OE top hats
Fully rebuildable
Optional Swift Springs

endless_pain 09-23-2016 06:34 AM

I have the 5100, which seems to be what these are based off. Don't want to hijack your thread so let me know if you want me to give you my impressions on those.

solidONE 09-23-2016 08:17 AM

Not 100% but I believe these are the AST 4150's. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1782684

wparsons 09-23-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidONE (Post 2759548)
Not 100% but I believe these are the AST 4150's. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1782684

The AST's don't look like inverted fronts.

solidONE 09-23-2016 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 2759577)
The AST's don't look like inverted fronts.

Ahh right more like AST 5100's strut but 4150 shock bodies in the rear? https://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...150919207.html

PandaBRZ 09-23-2016 11:41 AM

I own these Mann coilovers. I can confirm that they are based on the AST 5100. I'll have more detailed impressions after I get off work!

Clipdat 09-23-2016 11:59 AM

Yes please!

Quote:

Originally Posted by endless_pain (Post 2759523)
I have the 5100, which seems to be what these are based off. Don't want to hijack your thread so let me know if you want me to give you my impressions on those.

PandaBRZ 09-24-2016 02:23 AM

OK so I'm just going to share some quick thoughts about these coilovers.

First, my goals for the car. My BRZ is my only car so it has to be compliant on the street. I decided on single adjustables just to keep things simple as I'm no suspension guru. I also wanted to get a set of quality coilovers that will last the lifetime of the car.

After considerable debate, I narrowed my choices to Ohlins Road & Track or the Mann Engineering inverted. I chose Mann because they're a local shop and I can get any problems taken care of easily. I was also glad Mann didn't try to upsell me on unnecessary things like upgraded springs, top hats or other suspension bits. I told them my goals and they provided great advice.

Build quality is excellent. They're understated with an all black design, save the blue adjustment knobs. I also like that the rear adjustment knobs sit flush with the carpet, without intruding into the trunk area.

The only problem I had with them was a strange clunking that happened after a long road trip. I pulled the suspension apart to tighten every nut and bolt and the problem went away, though it pops up from time to time. I can't track down exactly what's causing since the clunking rarely manifests.

So how do they ride? On the street, they're excellent. With the fronts set at 4/12 and the rears 3/12, it's a perfect mix of performance and compliance. I wouldn't go any softer except for on long road trips. I love that these only have 12 clicks of adjustment, so each click is noticeably different.

On backroads, these are excellent. The car has zero body roll, even with "soft" 5kg/5kg springs front and rear. The backroads in the Bay Area are really bumpy, and these soak up the bumps without problem. I'll hit the bump stops every now and then on really big bumps (only in the rear), but they seem to have about the same amount of travel as stock.

The Mann inverted coils/AST 5100 really inspire confidence and the car never feels nervous. I'm running conservative tires (225/45/17 square) so your set up may differ. I haven't been on the track with them yet but I should handle light track duty no problem.

The only thing I would change with them is including a dust cover for the struts. It's strange seeing just how much dirt builds up around the shafts but I haven't had any problems with them. If you live in an area with salted roads, it's probably best to request Mann/AST to put a set of dust boots on them.

Clipdat 09-24-2016 02:16 PM

I wonder if something like this would work to combat the dust/debris?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...90e13830be.jpg
http://www.isccoilovers.com/assets/i...er_300mm_2.jpg

PandaBRZ 09-24-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clipdat (Post 2760615)
I wonder if something like this would work to combat the dust/debris?

Probably would help! I'm sure I'm just being paranoid as the exposed shafts haven't given me any problems after nearly 15k miles.

Clipdat 09-24-2016 02:47 PM

Thanks for taking the time to share all of your thoughts on this thread!

These parts stood out at me the most. The fact that there's no unsettled feeling over those mid corner bumps is huge. I hate that feeling of the car getting jarred/loose over those dips/bumps.

"On backroads, these are excellent. The car has zero body roll, even with "soft" 5kg/5kg springs front and rear. The backroads in the Bay Area are really bumpy, and these soak up the bumps without problem. I'll hit the bump stops every now and then on really big bumps (only in the rear), but they seem to have about the same amount of travel as stock.

The Mann inverted coils/AST 5100 really inspire confidence and the car never feels nervous. I'm running conservative tires (225/45/17 square) so your set up may differ. I haven't been on the track with them yet but I should handle light track duty no problem."

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaBRZ (Post 2760616)
Probably would help! I'm sure I'm just being paranoid as the exposed shafts haven't given me any problems after nearly 15k miles.

oldgunfan 09-24-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaBRZ (Post 2760385)
OK so I'm just going to share some quick thoughts about these coilovers.

First, my goals for the car. My BRZ is my only car so it has to be compliant on the street. I decided on single adjustables just to keep things simple as I'm no suspension guru. I also wanted to get a set of quality coilovers that will last the lifetime of the car.

After considerable debate, I narrowed my choices to Ohlins Road & Track or the Mann Engineering inverted. I chose Mann because they're a local shop and I can get any problems taken care of easily. I was also glad Mann didn't try to upsell me on unnecessary things like upgraded springs, top hats or other suspension bits. I told them my goals and they provided great advice.

Build quality is excellent. They're understated with an all black design, save the blue adjustment knobs. I also like that the rear adjustment knobs sit flush with the carpet, without intruding into the trunk area.

The only problem I had with them was a strange clunking that happened after a long road trip. I pulled the suspension apart to tighten every nut and bolt and the problem went away, though it pops up from time to time. I can't track down exactly what's causing since the clunking rarely manifests.

So how do they ride? On the street, they're excellent. With the fronts set at 4/12 and the rears 3/12, it's a perfect mix of performance and compliance. I wouldn't go any softer except for on long road trips. I love that these only have 12 clicks of adjustment, so each click is noticeably different.

On backroads, these are excellent. The car has zero body roll, even with "soft" 5kg/5kg springs front and rear. The backroads in the Bay Area are really bumpy, and these soak up the bumps without problem. I'll hit the bump stops every now and then on really big bumps (only in the rear), but they seem to have about the same amount of travel as stock.

The Mann inverted coils/AST 5100 really inspire confidence and the car never feels nervous. I'm running conservative tires (225/45/17 square) so your set up may differ. I haven't been on the track with them yet but I should handle light track duty no problem.

The only thing I would change with them is including a dust cover for the struts. It's strange seeing just how much dirt builds up around the shafts but I haven't had any problems with them. If you live in an area with salted roads, it's probably best to request Mann/AST to put a set of dust boots on them.

How much did you drop it? I'm trying to decide on what coilovers to buy. I what to drop my BRZ 1 inch or so just about to get RSR sport-I. These look interesting though.

PandaBRZ 09-24-2016 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldgunfan (Post 2760723)
How much did you drop it? I'm trying to decide on what coilovers to buy. I what to drop my BRZ 1 inch or so just about to get RSR sport-I. These look interesting though.

20mm. I was 1 inch lowered but wanted a little more stroke.

Clipdat 09-25-2016 04:18 AM

Nice - I'm at a 20mm drop now on my RCE Yellows, and this is what I would like to stay with when I move to coils.

These Mann Engineering coils are looking like the perfect option for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaBRZ (Post 2760730)
20mm. I was 1 inch lowered but wanted a little more stroke.