Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   tuning help (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29725)

ft86me 02-24-2013 06:52 PM

tuning help

so i'm confused on in terms of tuning. Where do I go and what do I need to tune the frs? I have the ark grip catback right now and plan on doing test pipe along with intake soon. Just want to know ahead of time. Detailed information would be fantastic. Sorry for the noob question.

djliquidsteele 02-24-2013 07:02 PM

Go with an Ecutek tune to maximize power. I went with Visconti and have been very happy.

ft86me 02-24-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djliquidsteele (Post 754771)
Go with an Ecutek tune to maximize power. I went with Visconti and have been very happy.

so i see something about a cable, the tune, and a license. What do I do with those when I purchase those? Do i take them to a place that does tunes and have them do their thing?

jflogerzi 02-24-2013 07:07 PM

If you are talking about ECU tunes. There seems to be 2 major ones. The most popular is ECUTEK and the 2 main people are FA20Club and Visconti. For a complete tune, cable, and license expect to pay around 800$. They send you a can file which you flash to your car. Then its up to you to log and send those logs back to your tuner. They then send you a new tune to flash. Rinse and repeat several times or till you are happy with your numbers. The other popular option thats gaining steam is the uni-chip. Thats an external box that controls the ECU. This option is a bit cheaper, but imo a bit more messy.

djliquidsteele 02-24-2013 07:12 PM

Nope, WAY easier than that. John will mail you the cable and a USB drive thats called a dongle. You download the Ecutek software, plug in your dongle, plugin is one side of the cable to your car, the other to your computer, pick the tune file John sends you, and click program, and 10 minutes later you are good to go.

John is pretty helpful and almost always available by phone if you need help. Its a pretty easy to do. Visconti tune is worth EVERY penny. Plus if you say N/A, free tune for life. Love it!

ft86me 02-24-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djliquidsteele (Post 754791)
Nope, WAY easier than that. John will mail you the cable and a USB drive thats called a dongle. You download the Ecutek software, plug in your dongle, plugin is one side of the cable to your car, the other to your computer, pick the tune file John sends you, and click program, and 10 minutes later you are good to go.

John is pretty helpful and almost always available by phone if you need help. Its a pretty easy to do. Visconti tune is worth EVERY penny. Plus if you say N/A, free tune for life. Love it!

John from? so i'm assuming ecutek would be the way to go right?

jflogerzi 02-24-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft86me (Post 754798)
John from? so i'm assuming ecutek would be the way to go right?

John is Visconti. Do understand John is one person. So you need to be patient with him.

ft86me 02-24-2013 07:20 PM

oooh okay. got it. sorry for so many questions. i'm clueless with tuning.

ft86me 02-24-2013 07:23 PM

any link as to where I can get the things I need to get?

ft86me 02-24-2013 07:27 PM

oh and how do i get a hold of john?

djliquidsteele 02-24-2013 07:28 PM

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21190

If you have E85 near you, it would be best to get both tunes, especially since he is coming out with a flex fuel package that will allow you to run 93 or E85 in whatever mix you want.

Visconti 02-24-2013 07:31 PM

Link is in my signature below this post.

I have cable in stock and ready to ship

Basically you order the kit, fill out a form with all your car mods including vin number and ill shoot you a tune. If you need help with installing or flashing I can call or remotely connect. Once your flash just submit datalogs and ill review and make changes.

You'll need a windows based laptop to use Ecutek.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

John

jflogerzi 02-24-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djliquidsteele (Post 754825)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21190

If you have E85 near you, it would be best to get both tunes, especially since he is coming out with a flex fuel package that will allow you to run 93 or E85 in whatever mix you want.

seeing as the OP is new to this, i would just stick with 91 tune or 93 if its in your area. Get that dialed in and then go for E-85 (if its in your area)

wparsons 02-25-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visconti (Post 754830)
Link is in my signature below this post.

I have cable in stock and ready to ship

Basically you order the kit, fill out a form with all your car mods including vin number and ill shoot you a tune. If you need help with installing or flashing I can call or remotely connect. Once your flash just submit datalogs and ill review and make changes.

You'll need a windows based laptop to use Ecutek.

Let me know if you have anymore questions

John

Anyone know if the Ecutek software runs ok on macs with windows in a virtual machine?