Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Noisy Car (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134764)

Flarpswitch 05-18-2019 01:39 PM

Noisy Car

After reading one of many articles about the new Toyota Supra, I noticed that the 86/BRZ gets into the conversation. That is because it was Toyota that dragged another car maker into the development to achieve a particular goal. Of course, the Supra is twice as much car and twice as expensive. But, the comment about how noisy the 86/BRZ is comes up a lot with people doing reviews. I don't find my car to be anything like what is said about it, especially since I removed that silly sound augmenter tube assembly. The car runs just fine without it. Anyway, could it be that the sound tube is what influences the comments? Are these people even aware that the car has this device and many cars today sport this illusion of power and speed? I think that many automotive writers probably just got promoted from the obituary page and could not cut it in sports.

NoHaveMSG 05-18-2019 03:05 PM

I think it is the lack of sound deadening and cabin insulation they are referring to. It is a budget car.

EAGLE5 05-18-2019 03:19 PM

The FRS is a noisy car, no doubt. Go sit in a luxury car and then compare.

murdoc 05-18-2019 03:20 PM

Most of the noise I notice in my car is wind and road noise. It's really bad when the tires are towards the end of their life.

Crosswinds also make the windows leak air on the highway.

Ultramaroon 05-18-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murdoc (Post 3218971)
Crosswinds also make the windows leak air on the highway.

That first gust is fun when you aren't expecting it.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/schauble.gif

soundman98 05-18-2019 04:27 PM

the brz is a very noisy car compared to any economy car, even one in the same cost bracket.

but who's buying an 86 because it's quiet?

extrashaky 05-18-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3218990)
but who's buying an 86 because it's quiet?

Morons. Morons do this. They have been here complaining on the forum in the past.

soundman98 05-18-2019 06:19 PM

i'm part of the Morons Anonymous Network. don't offend us, for our IQ is low, but our numbers are great

Leonardo 05-18-2019 06:28 PM

I took out all the interior, carpet, and headliner. The car has very little (practically zero) sound deadening. The interior does a good job of making the car decently quiet. If you strip it out, its way louder. even with stock exhaust.

Its 88db stock. My ap1 s2000 was 96db stock... So, to me its quiet.

Sapphireho 05-18-2019 06:53 PM

The 86 is the quietest sports car I own. We call it the big quite sports car.

Seiryuu 05-19-2019 02:41 AM

For what it is, the BRZ/86 is actually quiet... compared to S2000 and Miata. It's on par with previous generations of Mazda 3 or similar economy cars.

EAGLE5 05-19-2019 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3219022)
i'm part of the Morons Anonymous Network. don't offend us, for our IQ is low, but our numbers are great

grate

alan.chalkley 05-19-2019 05:38 AM

If "quiet" is the buzzword , then the new fully electric cars would be great.
They are especially quiet when the batteries are flat in the sydney harbour tunnel.

NCtoBRZ 05-19-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flarpswitch (Post 3218956)
After reading one of many articles about the new Toyota Supra, I noticed that the 86/BRZ gets into the conversation. That is because it was Toyota that dragged another car maker into the development to achieve a particular goal. Of course, the Supra is twice as much car and twice as expensive. But, the comment about how noisy the 86/BRZ is comes up a lot with people doing reviews. I don't find my car to be anything like what is said about it, especially since I removed that silly sound augmenter tube assembly. The car runs just fine without it. Anyway, could it be that the sound tube is what influences the comments? Are these people even aware that the car has this device and many cars today sport this illusion of power and speed? I think that many automotive writers probably just got promoted from the obituary page and could not cut it in sports.

Keep in mind that our 17+ BRZs are a bit quieter than earlier years because the plastic underbody panels are standard and deflect some road noise. That said, people who buy these cars looking for a smooth, quiet cruiser bought the wrong car. It’s all a matter of comparison though... compared to the motorcycles and convertibles that I’ve owned the BRZ is impressively quiet.