Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   How irritating is the tourqe dip (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131227)

Autoenthusiastasm 11-05-2018 07:29 PM

How irritating is the tourqe dip

I keep reading about how the car has no power between 2-5k when autocrossing. I currently drive a Miata so I am familiar with momentum. Also. At what mileage is considered too high too buy. Any maintenance besides oil change I should look for. Thank you

HKz 11-05-2018 07:30 PM

have you driven one..?

Autoenthusiastasm 11-05-2018 07:34 PM

Not yet. Looking, but the closest one available is an hour away.

Sapphireho 11-05-2018 08:07 PM

You actually have to get out and push the car between 2-5k. You get used to it.

HKz 11-05-2018 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autoenthusiastasm (Post 3152410)
Not yet. Looking, but the closest one available is an hour away.

eh nothing on Turo?...or maybe in the regional forums someone can let you have a couple pulls..

no amount of text could ever tell me if I'm gonna like something or not. In theory if you are an experienced driver you should be able to virtually always stay above 5 K.. plus you're going to be grouped with miatas & civics, so who really cares lol

GrandSport 11-05-2018 08:20 PM

Miserable on the street, but on the track I just kept the revs up. I never really fell into the torque dip. No real reason to be in the torque dip. If I was in it, I was at the very end of it. From what I read, it's pretty easily cured with a header though.

I haven't autoXed in forever, forget an 86, so I'm not sure if it's different there.

Autoenthusiastasm 11-05-2018 08:20 PM

I live in a small upstate community. I can go days without seeing a twin. Turro not really a thing here. Not really many autoxed in my region. Their are a couple about 90 ish miles away in the 15- 16k range. Not sure what is considered too high mileage. I know maintenance is important. In a Miata maintenance is key (and rust free), as they run forever. Not sure if that is the case for the boxer engine

HKz 11-05-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandSport (Post 3152426)
Miserable on the street, but on the track I just kept the revs up. I never really fell into the torque dip. No real reason to be in the torque dip. If I was in it, I was at the very end of it. From what I read, it's pretty easily cured with a header though.

I haven't autoXed in forever, forget an 86, so I'm not sure if it's different there.

...miserable, really? we're gonna go there?

GrandSport 11-05-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 3152428)
...miserable, really? we're gonna go there?

Idk, I found it super annoying driving on the street- especially if you were merging or something.

HKz 11-05-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Autoenthusiastasm (Post 3152427)
I live in a small upstate community. I can go days without seeing a twin. Turro not really a thing here. Not really many autoxed in my region. Their are a couple about 90 ish miles away in the 15- 16k range. Not sure what is considered too high mileage. I know maintenance is important. In a Miata maintenance is key (and rust free), as they run forever. Not sure if that is the case for the boxer engine

again, regional forums, there's gotta be someone that'll let you feel it https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

search on google man, this platform has been out for 6 years with minimal changes...last year Consumer Report's rated the twins as the 2nd most reliable car based on everything up to MY16...your questions have been asked a trillion times over on this forum, I'm sure there is a thread from last week with the same concerns. :thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandSport (Post 3152430)
Idk, I found it super annoying driving on the street- especially if you were merging or something.

you've been spoiled by torque :( if the 86 is miserable, can't imagine how you would feel behind the wheel of something like a Prius

fatoni 11-05-2018 08:39 PM

It's not a problem. Aware of it sometimes but that's about it.

86MLR 11-05-2018 09:14 PM

It's on par with the MX5, I had a NB series1, you mash the pedal and nothing really happens, it's fun like the 5 as you need to wring its neck.

Handling wise, it's almost on par, but, you can feel the extra weight of the 86.

In saying that, I enjoy my 86.

In saying that, again, the 86, as the 5, needs some handling mods and camber solutions, you have some in the 5, the 86 has nothing really from factory.

Some good coilover, tyres and camber really improves the average handling I found with the 86.

The 86 is much more functional than the 5, and in my humble opinion, looks much better.

Mr.ac 11-05-2018 10:21 PM

Downshift. Simple fix.
Unless you dive an automatic...then.... well....learn stick.

Ultramaroon 11-05-2018 10:53 PM

Not nearly as irritating as reading all the inane complaints and questions about it.