Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   AT downshift issue (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88758)

FRSBRZGT86FAN 05-21-2015 12:21 PM

AT downshift issue

Hi first issue post,

Occasionally when going into manual mode and then going for a downshift the transmission doesn't rev match it lurches a bit then downshifts into the correct gear and the engine slowly revs up. Also in the same tense it will lurch in the upshift. This issue continues until I restart the car at which point the problem completely disappears

86_dion 05-21-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 2257381)
Hi first issue post,

Occasionally when going into manual mode and then going for a downshift the transmission doesn't rev match it lurches a bit then downshifts into the correct gear and the engine slowly revs up. Also in the same tense it will lurch in the upshift. This issue continues until I restart the car at which point the problem completely disappears

I've had this same issue. No solution. Dont know what causes it. Sometimes those downshifts are scary

AREN 05-21-2015 08:48 PM

I've experienced the same issue, probably three times since owning the car for a year. Harsh upshifts and laggy/non rev match downshifts. Restarting the car does make it go away, the other solution was to put in back in "D" and drive for a few miles.

golfyankee2121 05-22-2015 08:37 AM

Hmm. I don't think I've ever experienced a laggy or non-rev matched downshift in my automatic, but I can definitely can speak on harsh upshifts, especially 1st-->2nd. My car, at least until its fully warmed, has always been kinda harsh from 1st-->2nd.

Bergen23 05-22-2015 08:45 AM

Always happens to me after the car is warm. No way to fix except turn it off and let it cool down

drewbot 05-22-2015 09:16 AM

I have these types of issues, but it is always so intermittent it is hard to actually replicate and understand.

My feeling is that perhaps I will get a tranny flush (been on the OEM fluid, never changed and now at 56000 km) and maybe that will rectify it

Bergen23 05-22-2015 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbot (Post 2258463)
I have these types of issues, but it is always so intermittent it is hard to actually replicate and understand.

My feeling is that perhaps I will get a tranny flush (been on the OEM fluid, never changed and now at 56000 km) and maybe that will rectify it

I keep meaning to go to the dealer, but like you said, sometimes it's quite intermittent, and I don't want to go to the dealer, bitching and moaning and not have the problem replicate itself.

Not sure if it's a fluid issue though, it's happened to me since the break in period. And I have less than 9000km on my car.

Dadhawk 05-22-2015 10:53 AM

Interesting discussion. I've got over 61,000miles on mine probably about 25% driven in manual, and almost every trip with some paddle action, and have not experienced this.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 05-23-2015 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 2258589)
Interesting discussion. I've got over 61,000miles on mine probably about 25% driven in manual, and almost every trip with some paddle action, and have not experienced this.

Its very specific and hard to describe, I could flog the car for an entire drive and not have any issues and the car runs perfectly. But then the next day after driving normally and switching to manual it would behave this way and its only happened twice. I'm not sure where its stemming from but it seems like some sort of software bug?

FRSBRZGT86FAN 05-23-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2258515)
I keep meaning to go to the dealer, but like you said, sometimes it's quite intermittent, and I don't want to go to the dealer, bitching and moaning and not have the problem replicate itself.

Not sure if it's a fluid issue though, it's happened to me since the break in period. And I have less than 9000km on my car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewbot (Post 2258463)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2258433)
Always happens to me after the car is warm. No way to fix except turn it off and let it cool down

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfyankee2121 (Post 2258429)
Hmm. I don't think I've ever experienced a laggy or non-rev matched downshift in my automatic, but I can definitely can speak on harsh upshifts, especially 1st-->2nd. My car, at least until its fully warmed, has always been kinda harsh from 1st-->2nd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AREN (Post 2258042)
I've experienced the same issue, probably three times since owning the car for a year. Harsh upshifts and laggy/non rev match downshifts. Restarting the car does make it go away, the other solution was to put in back in "D" and drive for a few miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86_dion (Post 2258009)
I've had this same issue. No solution. Don't know what causes it. Sometimes those downshifts are scary

Thank YOU! I finally don't feel scared :lol: Nice to know its not just me, I really do think its a software issue, it happened only twice so far and the second time it was after driving the car totally normally then having the urge to go manual, and it just would scare the shit out of me when it would throw it self down a gear without a rev match

Bergen23 05-23-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 2259804)
Thank YOU! I finally don't feel scared :lol: Nice to know its not just me, I really do think its a software issue, it happened only twice so far and the second time it was after driving the car totally normally then having the urge to go manual, and it just would scare the shit out of me when it would throw it self down a gear without a rev match

Probably software related. But like I mentioned, don't want to go to the dealer complaining about not rev matching, and have them not be able to replicate it.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 05-23-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2259942)
Probably software related. But like I mentioned, don't want to go to the dealer complaining about not rev matching, and have them not be able to replicate it.

Recorded the issue hopefully you can use it and just say it happens to yours as well:
https://youtu.be/A0knWVHLtX0

This oil change I'll bring it up, notice the wheels sqeak when the downshift happens I hope nothing is locking up and its just the sudden deceleration

Bergen23 05-23-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 2260039)
Recorded the issue hopefully you can use it and just say it happens to yours as well:
https://youtu.be/A0knWVHLtX0

This oil change I'll bring it up, notice the wheels sqeak when the downshift happens I hope nothing is locking up and its just the sudden deceleration

The wheels squeak on me when the issue happens as well

drewbot 05-23-2015 07:24 PM

Hmmm I've never felt that after 57000 km