Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northern California (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   NorCal (Bay Area) OFF-TOPIC Chat Thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24888)

BlaineWasHere 12-22-2012 11:34 PM

NorCal (Bay Area) OFF-TOPIC Chat Thread

Hello Friends! Let's chat in here so we can keep meet/event threads clean so the information can be found quickly!

I did like all the chit-chat and getting to know each other that was happening, so I want to keep it going (in a better place!)

Ready, set, CHAT!

dun3 12-23-2012 12:23 AM

Going for a cruise... now!

BlaineWasHere 12-23-2012 12:27 AM

I didn't drive my car at all today... I figure it needs a day of rest too!

I did leave my pass window cracked last night and the door cars was SOAKED today... opps.

Touge Monster 12-23-2012 12:33 AM

Anyone else going to t-hill tomorrow?

BlaineWasHere 12-23-2012 12:36 AM

Is there a track day or something tomorrow?

PMok 12-23-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Touge Monster (Post 623686)
Anyone else going to t-hill tomorrow?

Yup see you there! :thumbup:

Rain and more rain... Should be interesting out there.

Blaine the event tomorrow is GripDriftSkid 8... Registration is open for GDS 9 in Feb. And they even have special pricing for it. :)

BlaineWasHere 12-23-2012 01:39 AM

Nice! Well let me know how it is and maybe I'll sign up for feb!

BigFatFlip 12-23-2012 08:43 AM

^Same here. Goal this year is at least 3 track days. My wrx buddies agree T-hill is a really good track for a first track day. Good warm-up for laguna seca and infeneon.

BlaineWasHere 12-23-2012 11:00 AM

The biggest problem with courses that hold Major touring races is barriers are usually pretty close to the racing surface so fans can get reasonably close. At tracks like Thunder Hill that don't hold NASCAR/Moto GP/ALMS events ect don't have to be as safe to accommodate people all around so there is less stuff to hit if you fuck up.

That said, I've done track days on tracks with guardrails all over the place and very close to the racing surface. I'd like to do about 4 days next year.

BlaineWasHere 12-23-2012 11:03 AM

It's funny when I lived in Michigan I dealt with snowy weather for 5 months and now after a few weeks of rain I'm still pissed off at the weather... lol.

MyRx 12-23-2012 11:33 AM

T-Hill is a nice open track to learn. No barriers like mentioned and plenty of run-off. Watch out for the backside tho, if the barriers are still there.

Is there enough BRZ/FRS in the bay to hold our own day? Or are you guys on an open track day. Great luck, have fun, and be safe.

MyRx 12-23-2012 11:49 AM

Off-topic chat thread right?? I'd like to propose a short detour to NorCal Hobbies in Union City one day during a cruise. My RC haven for all rc, dirt and on-road. I'd like to take a pic under their signage...after all, this is just another hobby. *wink*

BlaineWasHere 12-23-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyRx (Post 624027)
T-Hill is a nice open track to learn. No barriers like mentioned and plenty of run-off. Watch out for the backside tho, if the barriers are still there.

Is there enough BRZ/FRS in the bay to hold our own day? Or are you guys on an open track day. Great luck, have fun, and be safe.

It's pretty easy to have your own track day, it usually costs like $3K or so to rent a track like Thunder hill for the day then you sell 10 slots for $300 or 20 for $150. I mean I just made those numbers up but it would go something like that.

I'm starting to feel like "that guy" but when I lived in Michigan there was a rich dude with a GT-R that kept renting Gingerman Raceway (google if your curious) and would charge people $150 for unlimited track time. It really just depends if you can use the facilities insurance and course workers.

BTW... it would be WAY easier for us to plan ahead and all just sign up for the same track day.

BlaineWasHere 12-23-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyRx (Post 624045)
Off-topic chat thread right?? I'd like to propose a short detour to NorCal Hobbies in Union City one day during a cruise. My RC haven for all rc, dirt and on-road. I'd like to take a pic under their signage...after all, this is just another hobby. *wink*

Wanna buy my Traxxxas short course truck? I never use it. I should have put the money towards a crawler build instead. I used to have a Jeep for rocks in real life and I think I'd enjoy/use a crawler RC more.