Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   CANADA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   BRZ vs FRS - was it worth it? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9484)

Heero 06-22-2012 07:39 AM

BRZ vs FRS - was it worth it?

First off, Thanks to OptionJDM for lining me up the the BRZ! Great people & a great shop, check them out if your in the GTA.

& Second, pics will be added later as I'm headed out the door atm.

So, as some here may know, I was part of the group buy for the FRS. I recently picked up a BRZ. At first I was a bit hesitant due to the jump in price.

After viewing the BRZ & driving it for a day I'd like to comment on a few of the interior & exterior differences I noted.

1. Dashboard: Might seem like a person preference, but I prefer Scions white tach - the red on black layout is boring on the BRZ.

2. Seats: Although the hold is the same between the BRZ and the FRS (in terms of how the seats grip you) the BRZs insert is superior to the FRS.

3. Navigation: The headunit is actually not as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. In terms of laggyness its no worse then the Scion Premium head unit.

4. Silver trim: Obviously subjective again - At first I didn't like the Silver, however comparing it to the fake cf look the FRS has going, I can safely say that I prefer the silver. Don't get me wrong the fake CF isn't bad looking either.

5. General interior feel - I don't know if it's the nav, or if its the seats, or the extra stiching on the ebrake, etc. But the BRZs interior just looks a tad bit nicer. Might just look like that to me because I now own it though :D

6. Headlights on the BRZ are far superior to the FRS's :D But we already knew that didn't we!

Overall, I reaally like the Car. The headlights on the BRZ really won me over from the FRS - & the interior was the icing on the cake. I would say that the extra I paid over the FRS was well spent.

Well anyways... Enjoy your cars everyone!

#87 06-22-2012 07:43 AM

I'll be honest there isn't a single thing on the FR-S that I would rather have in the BRZ. I got the Premium and the only thing I wish it had was the FR-S price :D But I think the difference is well worth what you get.

stateless 06-22-2012 08:16 AM

USA gets a different nav unit, and ours is much better, which might be why they are complaining about it.

Masato-san 06-22-2012 08:17 AM

Dude congratulations! I was just about to jump off the group buy ship as grab a BRZ when I saw people taking delivery! I don't understand how BRZ's are sent out the door before FRS' when it was released after. How do you like that push button start?

Saibot 06-22-2012 08:55 AM

i think he got the lower trim without push start? correct me if im wrong

BioRage 06-22-2012 09:48 AM

All Sport-Tech Packages on the BRZ comes with Push/Stop.

Heero 06-22-2012 01:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by #87 (Post 272401)
I'll be honest there isn't a single thing on the FR-S that I would rather have in the BRZ. I got the Premium and the only thing I wish it had was the FR-S price :D But I think the difference is well worth what you get.

Hehe... IT IS :/ + I belve even the premium model gets a security system? I also got 3 years road side assistance!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stateless (Post 272426)
USA gets a different nav unit, and ours is much better, which might be why they are complaining about it.

AHHHH that explains that! I really like the pioneer unit supplied! The only thing I wish it had was voice dialing. Haven't read the manual yet - so it might in fact be capable. So far tried using my phone and it works like a charm! Haven't given nav a try yet.

Pic of head unit is attached.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masato-san (Post 272427)
Dude congratulations! I was just about to jump off the group buy ship as grab a BRZ when I saw people taking delivery! I don't understand how BRZ's are sent out the door before FRS' when it was released after. How do you like that push button start?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saibot (Post 272465)
i think he got the lower trim without push start? correct me if im wrong

I don't get why Scion isn't realeasing earlier either. Quick delivery was why I chose scion in the first place. But they REALLY slipped up.

Sai is correct, I got the premium model. I could justify the limited price, but no way could I afford it.

IMC 06-22-2012 03:41 PM

Dude..

Is that a UW parking pass I spy... ?

jonno 06-22-2012 03:55 PM

Car is looking good!

stateless 06-22-2012 04:08 PM

Nope, it doesn't allow voice dialing (though you might be able to do it direct through the phone still, just not through the system). They have a 'z' model version that does the voice dialing and a few other features.

I like the sound too (coming from a WRX it sounds amazing). I just wish the volume button were larger (I bump the touch screen sometimes when trying to adjust volume) and I wish the screen scrolled easier or had scroll buttons.

Enemies 06-22-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #87 (Post 272401)

I think the steering wheel is better on the FR-S. Other than that I'm in the same boat as you.

Khyron686 06-22-2012 05:24 PM

Getting the FR-S HID retrofit kit (new projectors and hids) for 300 bucks - I can live without everything else. Prefer the frs front, tach, dash, no spoiler, stereo, cheaper price.

ArKiTeCkT 06-22-2012 05:34 PM

To be honest its almost the same....the FRS insurance is a bit higher than the BRZ - 20-40 bucks a month in some cases which translates to 240-480 a year. Also resale value will be higher for the BRZ. Long story short you bought an FRS with a BRZ price tag without the BRZ amenities.

OptionJDM 06-22-2012 06:34 PM

I think you mean OptionJDM :)
Car looks great!
If you go to waterloo thats pretty cool as i go to laurier :)