Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Clutch Squeaks at the end of travel... clutch fork? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113205)

treminaor 11-23-2016 11:23 PM

Clutch Squeaks at the end of travel... clutch fork?

Here's a video clearly demonstrating the issue:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2TWE33PRVs"]2016 Subaru BRZ Clutch Squeak - YouTube[/ame]

Took it to the dealer today and the mechanic tried to explain to me that I was hearing a spring squeaking and it was nothing to worry about... the only springs I'm aware of are behind the pedal and the sound is definitely not coming from inside the cabin or anywhere near the steering column. It sounds like it's coming from the clutch fork in the middle of the engine bay right on the transmission, and the sound is way louder if you're under the car or have your head under the hood.

What can I do to fix this? I'm under full warranty and the best advice the tech could give me was call 1-800-SUBARU3 and complain... yeah thanks that helps me out a lot.

Ultramaroon 11-23-2016 11:50 PM

Mechanic is wrong. Transmission must be removed. Clutch fork and TOB must be removed, cleaned, and regreased at the appropriate points. I have experienced this and repaired it myself.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...82#post2689582

treminaor 11-24-2016 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2802832)
Mechanic is wrong. Transmission must be removed. Clutch fork and TOB must be removed, cleaned, and regreased at the appropriate points. I have experienced this and repaired it myself.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...82#post2689582

Do you think the throwout bearing will be damaged at this point or just dry?

The mechanic insisted that it wasn't the TOB or I would hear a constant squeak following my release of the clutch all the way back to resting position...

I'm so tired of mechanics ignoring advice - it's a waste of both of our time and I don't just have unlimited time to go without a car as an employed college student.

Ultramaroon 11-24-2016 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treminaor (Post 2802846)
Do you think the throwout bearing will be damaged at this point or just dry?

The mechanic insisted that it wasn't the TOB or I would hear a constant squeak following my release of the clutch all the way back to resting position...

I'm so tired of mechanics ignoring advice - it's a waste of both of our time and I don't just have unlimited time to go without a car as an employed college student.

Nothing wrong with your TOB yet. Once you start getting the crunchy feeling at the bottom of the pedal throw, that's the gritty mess gouging up the snout and the bushing on the TOB carrier.

The squeak isn't actually the TOB. It's the main pivot of the clutch fork. But the botttom line is it all dries out and what used to be grease cakes up.

treminaor 11-24-2016 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2802850)
Nothing wrong with your TOB yet. Once you start getting the crunchy feeling at the bottom of the pedal throw, that's the gritty mess gouging up the snout and the bushing on the TOB carrier.

The squeak isn't actually the TOB. It's the main pivot of the clutch fork. But the botttom line is it all dries out and what used to be grease cakes up.

I have noticed a crunchy resistance in the pedal that matches up with the timing of the squeak, but it seems minor so far.

Why is all the grease dried up after only 14k miles...?

Ultramaroon 11-24-2016 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treminaor (Post 2802853)
I have noticed a crunchy resistance in the pedal that matches up with the timing of the squeak, but it seems minor so far.

Why is all the grease dried up after only 14k miles...?

Read through my posts in the thread I linked. I do my best to explain what I believe to be an inappropriate choice of lubricant.

treminaor 11-24-2016 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2802854)
Read through my posts in the thread I linked. I do my best to explain what I believe to be an inappropriate choice of lubricant.

I've read through that whole thread, lots of interesting info there and your photos were very helpful.

So basically all the dried up lube sludge needs to be cleaned out and replaced with better lubricant. How can I ensure the dealer isn't going to just go and put the same shitty lube back on it again... where I end up with this problem again in 15k miles? Is this something should do myself in the garage even though I have the full warranty and the prepaid service package? I've never dropped a trans but I've replaced suspension, done oil changes, dropped the front bumper off, etc.. :bonk:

I don't have a lift obviously, just 4 jack stands and a low profile jack.

Ultramaroon 11-24-2016 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treminaor (Post 2802863)
How can I ensure the dealer isn't going to just go and put the same shitty lube back on it again... where I end up with this problem again in 15k miles? Is this something should do myself in the garage even though I have the full warranty and the prepaid service package? I've never dropped a trans but I've replaced suspension, done oil changes, dropped the front bumper off, etc.. :bonk:

I don't have a lift obviously, just 4 jack stands and a low profile jack.

*sigh* I don't know the long term answer. I have an extended warranty that was included with the CPO package even though I didn't want it.

Trans drop is a big step up. Tough choice. Maybe you can try a different dealer. @Tcoat has had good luck with dealer service. I have experienced nothing but frustration every single time.

I don't have any fancy tools either. A floor jack and stands are enough for just about everything.

treminaor 11-24-2016 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2802869)
*sigh* I don't know the long term answer. I have an extended warranty that was included with the CPO package even though I didn't want it.

Trans drop is a big step up. Tough choice. Maybe you can try a different dealer. @Tcoat has had good luck with dealer service. I have experienced nothing but frustration every single time.

I don't have any fancy tools either. A floor jack and stands are enough for just about everything.

In the meantime I've been reading a DIY on dropping the transmission and it looks like about as much fun as I expected, lol. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume a Subaru tech isn't authorized to use any lubricant not approved by Subaru themselves... which means I'm SOL long-term if I don't do this myself.

What lubricant would you recommend as the best for this case? Anything else I should go ahead and do while the trans is dropped? Any good little aftermarket parts? I had the trans fluid changed already so that's irrelevant.

Ultramaroon 11-24-2016 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treminaor (Post 2802870)
In the meantime I've been reading a DIY on dropping the transmission and it looks like about as much fun as I expected, lol. I'm going to take a wild guess and assume a Subaru tech isn't authorized to use any lubricant not approved by Subaru themselves... which means I'm SOL long-term if I don't do this myself.

What lubricant would you recommend as the best for this case? Anything else I should go ahead and do while the trans is dropped? Any good little aftermarket parts? I had the trans fluid changed already so that's irrelevant.

I personally don't buy into the weak fork theory, especially for a stock clutch. They're breaking because the TOB eventually binds on the snout. I dug into mine because I started feeling it.

I've driven mine for about five months since I cleaned and re-lubed everything with the #2 red extra tacky. Still feels fine but I don't know if it will hold out. It's just a trial run at this point.

Maybe the answer is to call the Subaru hotline.

FR-Sky 11-24-2016 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2802869)

Just cant trust the dealership mechanic....I am taking my car in for axle noise and morning clutch squeak noise...good luck to me..

Tcoat 11-24-2016 06:04 AM

So, does it make the noise when running? Many parts on a car make weird sounds when not being used as designed. The clutch fork and TOB are supposed to function with the engine spinning not with it off. That noise would not worry me at all unless it happened when the car was running.

humfrz 11-24-2016 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2802907)
So, does it make the noise when running? Many parts on a car make weird sounds when not being used as designed. The clutch fork and TOB are supposed to function with the engine spinning not with it off. That noise would not worry me at all unless it happened when the car was running.

Good point.

@treminaor , if either the clutch doesn't squeak or you can't hear it, with the engine running and changing gears while going down the road ...... I wouldn't worry about it ...... :iono:

humfrz

Ultramaroon 11-24-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2802907)

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2802991)
Good point.

@treminaor , if either the clutch doesn't squeak or you can't hear it, with the engine running and changing gears while going down the road ...... I wouldn't worry about it ...... :iono:

humfrz

Gents, this is one time I'll emphatically disagree with you. The pivots are bone dry. I'll leave it at that. :cheers: