Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   AVO vs Innovative (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26662)

diss7 01-17-2013 03:14 PM

AVO vs Innovative

Hi all.

Haven't been on here for a few months. But my 86 arrives in a few weeks so have been reading over the forum again.

Up until this morning I was sold on the AVO turbo kit, but the Innovative SC kit looks very promising.

I like AVO's power delivery over other kits, and its stealth install is great.

But, as great as the power delivery is, it is never going to be as instant as a PD S/C.

My new 86 is purely a street car. I have two other track cars. I'm not looking for peak power. I have been considering a 2GR-FSE swap but cannot find much info on weights as yet. And, very conscious of modding the 86 too much, just want to enhance it.

We have pretty good fuel in NZ too, 96 and 98 pump. Also E85 soon. So should be able to push the AVO kit more than its being shown at.

Would love to see an innovative/AVO dyno overlay! Looks like I'm not the only one left pondering between the two.

Unrelated - but took my ae86 out to the track just before xmas. Just had pizza cutter tyres on it, as was setting up/getting a feel for new suspension parts that were put in early December. Car is getting pulled apart now, hope to have turbo beams running by mid feb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__fW...wC-Fhw&index=1

OrbitalEllipses 01-17-2013 03:35 PM

Standard turbo vs super discussion IMO.

Coheed 01-17-2013 04:03 PM

You need NOS.

2forme 01-17-2013 04:42 PM

He means NOS the energy drink.

LeavingNormal 01-17-2013 04:43 PM

Enjoy the car stock for a little bit.

industrial 01-17-2013 07:11 PM

You need to wait till spring. There will be plenty of club meets and dyno days where people show up with various units and run on the same dyno on the same day. Come summer, you'll see people take various setups to the track which will offer even more evidence.

drifter 01-17-2013 07:42 PM

I think Innovative vs. Vortech would have been a more productive thread.

sw20kosh 01-17-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeavingNormal (Post 671829)
Enjoy the car stock for a little bit.

This. Get familiar with the stock config. It is tons of fun as is. Get out to the HPDE events in your area and learn how to drive. Once you start maxing out your skills, your suspension and brakes in order to get around the track faster, then that is the time you can think about FI to boost power for the straights.

mines13 01-17-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 672307)
This. Get familiar with the stock config. It is tons of fun as is. Get out to the HPDE events in your area and learn how to drive. Once you start maxing out your skills, your suspension and brakes in order to get around the track faster, then that is the time you can think about FI to boost power for the straights.

Sound advice, the fact is these cars are pretty amazing out of the box. You will be able to make a much more informed decision once you have some seat time in the car at the limit. :thumbup:

Sportsguy83 01-17-2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diss7 (Post 671651)

My new 86 is purely a street car. I have two other track cars. I'm not looking for peak power. I have been considering a 2GR-FSE swap but cannot find much info on weights as yet. And, very conscious of modding the 86 too much, just want to enhance it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 672307)

But he just said his car is not for the track....:iono: Purely Street Car.

diss7 01-17-2013 09:25 PM

As stated above, not looking to track the car at all. I have dedicated track cars already.

Looking to FI to improve the driveabilty of the car.

benster 01-17-2013 09:57 PM

there shouldn't be a lot of lag with a 5-7 psi turbo kit, although a lot more than a non centrifugal s/c kit. for pure street fun i think I'd still go with the turbo as the s/c will probably cost a bit more in gas, unless that isnt a concern.

as far as your 95 and 98 octane, they are not rated by the same scale(correct me if I'm wrong) your 98 should be equal to our 93 or 94 here I believe.

I hear your dilemma though, it might be a hard choice for me also

diss7 01-17-2013 10:38 PM

I've heard that about the gas ratings. I heard to take 2 points off, but not 100%.

Just for driving, I think the SC would be better. But it will use more gas I agree.

I am leaning towards AVO as the Bullet/Innovative kit will whine and be noticeable. SOme might be keen on this, but I want a stealth setup.

Sportsguy83 01-17-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diss7 (Post 672663)
I've heard that about the gas ratings. I heard to take 2 points off, but not 100%.

Just for driving, I think the SC would be better. But it will use more gas I agree.

I am leaning towards AVO as the Bullet/Innovative kit will whine and be noticeable. SOme might be keen on this, but I want a stealth setup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_...octane_ratings