Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Oil Change - Perhaps Royal Purple? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20401)

RowTarEEE 10-22-2012 10:56 AM

Oil Change - Perhaps Royal Purple?

Hello Fellow 86 members! I know many of you guys are wanting to do an oil change ASAP. For those of you with Pep Boys around the area, they are providing a $35 discount when you purchase 5QT & an oil filter. This should bring the total oil change cost to roughly $30-$35.

http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials...ter_oct2012cp/

gmookher 10-22-2012 11:06 AM

there is a reason there is a coupon for it.
that crap never sees my garage
now, RP synth max atf is good stuff

RowTarEEE 10-22-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmookher (Post 512787)
there is a reason there is a coupon for it.
that crap never sees my garage
now, RP synth max atf is good stuff

Any reputable sources or anyone with bad experience? I ran RP for awhile in my RX-8 without a problem (yes we can use synthetic). Then I switched to Mobil 1 and my engine seals gave out at 90k miles. I'm not sure if it's the oil or just the common RX-8 curse.

seipherzero 10-22-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowTarEEE (Post 512813)
Any reputable sources or anyone with bad experience? I ran RP for awhile in my RX-8 without a problem (yes we can use synthetic). Then I switched to Mobil 1 and my engine seals gave out at 90k miles. I'm not sure if it's the oil or just the common RX-8 curse.

I've always heard mixed things about RP oil. I personally plan on going with the Subaru oil for my FR-S. I assume other popular oils aren't tailored for boxer engines, and in that case, Subaru oil should be the best.

I have an old streetported N/A FC and have only used Idemitsu oil in it (premix and engine oil). Idemitsu Rotary Engine oil is just that. Oil tailored to rotary engines ;p. Additionally, rotary engines typically need a rebuild much sooner than piston engines, so it's not surprising your seals gave out at 90k.

At the end of the day, I doubt it matters which oil you plan on using if all one does is street driving.

mkiisupra 10-22-2012 01:31 PM

RP 5W-20 is the go to oil for the SVT Focus crowd, that is all my Focus has seen in 60K miles. costs a bit more, but I don't worry about running an extra 1000 miles (usually 4k) before the next oil change. Most swear by it, and it was in my car when I got it, so it stayed.

Eric G

gmookher 10-22-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

both oils I avoid...

diirk 10-22-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowTarEEE (Post 512770)
Hello Fellow 86 members! I know many of you guys are wanting to do an oil change ASAP. For those of you with Pep Boys around the area, they are providing a $35 discount when you purchase 5QT & an oil filter. This should bring the total oil change cost to roughly $30-$35.

http://www.pepboys.com/sale_specials...ter_oct2012cp/

That's a great deal, thanks.

Nothing wrong with Royal Purple. They make great synthetic oils and a really supportive company for racers.

bluesubie 10-22-2012 04:32 PM

Royal Purple is fine and the reformulated GF5 oil is made from Group IV and Group V base stocks (according to emails from RP). If anyone has data showing that RP 0W-20 (or Mobil1) is not good a good choice in a BRZ/FRS, then I'm all ears.

-Dennis

Guillaume 10-22-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

An inadequate oil, be it because of its grade or poor quality, would do damage in the long run. Heck you could run with olive oil for a few miles before the engine gives out...

It's a bit like saying you were just fine when running naked in the snow and caught that darn cold right when you sat by the fire. Not that I do that often. :D

RRnold 10-22-2012 05:00 PM

You'll be fine using RP.

For the Supra's $$$ V160 tranny, owners swear by RP Synchromax over the Castrol oem oil. I'm running RP Sychromax and MaxGear in my Soup w/out any issues. I run the Shell Rotella T6 in my motor.

VSGTS14 10-22-2012 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
royal purple has been confirmed to be...not the best in a subaru motor. i don't know of ANY subaru owners running it and if they did, they immediately switched. i would never touch anything royal purple.

they may be good. but not for a boxer motor.

rotella t6 has excellent results. this is my UOA on my sti with rotella.

bluesubie 10-22-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSGTS14 (Post 513586)
royal purple has been confirmed to be...not the best in a subaru motor. i don't know of ANY subaru owners running it and if they did, they immediately switched. i would never touch anything royal purple.

they may be good. but not for a boxer motor.

rotella t6 has excellent results. this is my UOA on my sti with rotella.

The Subaru WRX owner's that have run it, and had it analyzed, were running the Energy Conserving 5W-30 or 10W-30 in a turbo. RP even recommends on their web site to use their HPS oil in a modified car.

Go post your STI analysis at IWSTI.com :). Compare apples to apples please. Oh wait, you did post this over there.

-Dennis

whitefrs 10-22-2012 08:30 PM

Motul FTW lol

acro 10-22-2012 08:47 PM

ive used rp for years without any issue (3s-ge engine)